+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting/Importing Vehicle - US to Canada ONLY!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello guys,
I Have declared my previous car VIN while doing landing in 2021 . Now in 2023 i am planning to move permanently and I have a different car than the one which i have declared while crossing the border first time on COPR. Will the new car be taxed or exempted? as this is the first time I will be moving permanently. Is anyone in the same boat as mine currently or in the past. Please suggest.

Thank you in Advance
Yes, because you did not own that vehicle when you landed in 2021, nor did you declare it as part of your Goods to Follow form.

A PR declares whatever they are bringing with them when they land (doesn't matter if it's a Soft landing) as well as a list of what they will be bringing at a later date.

zoh7009

Star Member
Oct 27, 2018
Yes, because you did not own that vehicle when you landed in 2021, nor did you declare it as part of your Goods to Follow form.

A PR declares whatever they are bringing with them when they land (doesn't matter if it's a Soft landing) as well as a list of what they will be bringing at a later date.
ok thank you
Can anyone suggest apart from import duty taxes ( i guess 6.1% or 13 %) what other fee we need pay when importing? ( ITIN, -C$?, inspection and registration-C$?
Thank you

Kiva667

May 9, 2019
So, My question is it worth/ profitable to import a car from the US to Canada?
That is a question only you can answer. Ultimately the people at the border decide what you will pay and they don't always always follow their own rules. So it depends on how much hassle you are willing to endure and how attached you are to the car.

zoh7009

Star Member
Oct 27, 2018
So i exported my car through the Ambassador Bridge on a Saturday afternoon.
I found the following post very helpful and accurate in locating the CBP office.

Once you obtain the Export stamp on Car Title, exit through the adjacent gate "Return to Canada". This gate opens every 15 minutes so we had to wait a while before a CBP officer comes and opens the gate.

Feel free to PM me for questions on this process.
Is it possible to do it on Sunday? Do you know if anyone has done it in the past?
Thank you

jokerdurden

Star Member
Jun 10, 2019
Is it possible to do it on Sunday? Do you know if anyone has done it in the past?
Thank you
Hello guys,
I Have declared my previous car VIN while doing landing in 2021 . Now in 2023 i am planning to move permanently and I have a different car than the one which i have declared while crossing the border first time on COPR. Will the new car be taxed or exempted? as this is the first time I will be moving permanently. Is anyone in the same boat as mine currently or in the past. Please suggest.

Thank you in Advance
Hi @zoh7009, I am in the exact situation as you. I did my soft landing back in December 2020 as a PR and I declared my old car in the goods to follow list, which I sold off in US later. I bought a new car in 2021 in US and I am now moving permanently to Canada in September as a settler. Were you able to successfully import your car? Did they tax you for the new car? If so how much did they charge you and how did they evaluate your car value? Please share your experience. Appreciate your help on this request.

zoh7009

Star Member
Oct 27, 2018
Hi @zoh7009, I am in the exact situation as you. I did my soft landing back in December 2020 as a PR and I declared my old car in the goods to follow list, which I sold off in US later. I bought a new car in 2021 in US and I am now moving permanently to Canada in September as a settler. Were you able to successfully import your car? Did they tax you for the new car? If so how much did they charge you and how did they evaluate your car value? Please share your experience. Appreciate your help on this request.
Hi Sorry for the late response.
Nope. I got a better deal in the US so I sold my car and bought another here. Cleared off any tensions basically and it was cheaper than the estimated cost for the vehicle i bought when compared to the US. So all worked out well

jokerdurden

Star Member
Jun 10, 2019
Hi Sorry for the late response.
Nope. I got a better deal in the US so I sold my car and bought another here. Cleared off any tensions basically and it was cheaper than the estimated cost for the vehicle i bought when compared to the US. So all worked out well
Great. Thanks for your response.