+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting/Importing Vehicle - US to Canada ONLY!

Radek

Mar 28, 2022
*** IMPORTANT UPDATE PLEASE READ CAREFULLY***

• I moved from US to Canada in 2018 on WP and had temporarily imported my car(no duties and no export from USA)
  • Got my PR in 2021
  • Wanted to sell my car but temporary Imported cars can not be sold
  • This week I went to the customs office (same one where I had done the temporary import) and explained my situation and gave them following documents
    • Original Form 1
    • Car registration document (Canadian)
    • Copy of PR card
  • The office understood and told me he would issue a new Form 1 and remove all holds on my car
  • He gave me a new Form 1 and also a Receipt which shows the value of the car and any taxes or fee and that this car can be sold in Canada
    • I paid zero fees :) Not for the process and not for the car to be permanently imported.
I hope this helps others as I was really on a fix on what to do with this car which I was now stuck with and all it took was a simple visit and 15 minutes. All the best.

Reactions: gsingh2022

gsingh2022

Oct 27, 2022
Visa Office......
Mississauga

• I moved from US to Canada in 2018 on WP and had temporarily imported my car(no duties and no export from USA)
  • Got my PR in 2021
  • This week I went to the customs office (same one where I had done the temporary import) and explained my situation and gave them following documents
    • Original Form 1
    • Copy of PR card
  • The office understood and told me he would issue a new Form 1 and remove all holds on my car
  • He gave me a new Form 1 and also a Receipt which shows the value of the car and any taxes or fee and that this car can be sold in Canada
    • I paid zero fees :) Not for the process and not for the car to be permanently imported.
I hope this helps others as I was really on a fix on what to do with this car which I was now stuck with and all it took was a simple visit and 15 minutes. All the best.
Hey!

Which car did you have? I have a Toyota Corolla 2017 which I am planning on temporarily importing. I am already in Canada and have filed for spousal PR. One thing that I am concerned about is the modifications. My car doesn't have a digital speedometer. It has an analog speedometer with both mpg and kmh (mpg is the primary on the dial). Will my car be rejected due to this reason?

Radek

Mar 28, 2022
Hey!

Which car did you have? I have a Toyota Corolla 2017 which I am planning on temporarily importing. I am already in Canada and have filed for spousal PR. One thing that I am concerned about is the modifications. My car doesn't have a digital speedometer. It has an analog speedometer with both mpg and kmh (mpg is the primary on the dial). Will my car be rejected due to this reason?
Sorry for the late response, mine's 2011 Acura MDX and it also has analog speedometer with markings in both miles(i think that what you meant) and kms.

I came on work permit and hence the temporary import, I dont think you can do a temporary import when you are on PR. I was on work permit and hence did a temporary import. Once you get your PR, get permanent import which will allow you to sell your car in Canada in future(temporary import you cant sell)

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
So I came in 2017, and imported at 2010 Nissan Maxima. I was on PR at the time, and was not offered a temporary import option... I also had to modify a couple things including the daytime running lights which were not required in the US. It wasn't super complicated, I got it quickly dont at Canadian Tire before the time deadline they gave however I haven't sold the car yet. I was charged import duties although I'm not sure if I will get taxed eventually when I sell it.

Kiva667

May 9, 2019
I imported an antique car from
Seattle to Victoria BC. Despite being exempt from paying duty they charged me $2000 CDN at the border! Got the refund eventually but it took 2 months.

They have guns at the Canadian border post in Blaine and got all worked up when I showed them the rules. They said pay up or go back to Seattle. So I paid. But for my money back with a little extra for obscure reasons. They were pretty nice about it, just slow.

Ii used an American broker for the export paperwork; cost me $500 at the time but frankly I considered it money well spent. Leaving the USA was hassle-free.

Then, registering the car in BC was a nightmare that lasted a month cause I had to send back the paperwork from the Canadian side to get the duty refunded and they wouldn't return it. Finally got a paper from the Ministry of Funny Walks (I mean Finance) and was able to register the car. End of story.

Radek

Mar 28, 2022

• Got my PR in 2021
    • Original Form 1
    • Copy of PR card
I just sold the car and realized that there are few more steps to do

• Call RIV(1-888-848-8240) and verify they see the updated Form 1
  • Email scanned form to them in case they dont once they see it, they will ask you to pay a fee of $367.25
  • Once Fee is paid, they will issue an Inspection Form that you need to take along with the new Form 1 to Canadian Tire
  • Canadian Tire will do the review and let you know if anything needs to be done to the car
  • In my case they gave me a dual language(english and French) air bag sticker to be fixed on passenger side sun shade (it currently has message only in english), CT charged me $6.77 for this and also emailed/faxed the report to RIV
  • Once this is done RIV will send a confirmation email stating that "Your RIV Federal inspection is now complete!" and also that you will receive a Canadian Compliance Label in two weeks.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: gsingh2022

gsingh2022

Oct 27, 2022
Visa Office......
Mississauga

• Got my PR in 2021
    • Original Form 1
    • Copy of PR card
So you did not do any of US export procedures?

gsingh2022

Oct 27, 2022
Visa Office......
Mississauga
I need to permanently import the car soon, but I wonder if later down the line if I go into the US with my car as a visitor, would they have issues with car not being exported from the US (or would they even know that this car was permanently imported in Canada without being exported from the US) ?

Radek

Mar 28, 2022
I need to permanently import the car soon, but I wonder if later down the line if I go into the US with my car as a visitor, would they have issues with car not being exported from the US (or would they even know that this car was permanently imported in Canada without being exported from the US) ?
Not sure but I also don’t understand this question as it comes up often, if you drive down to USA you are probably on Canadian plates (legally registered), I don’t think they stop every Canadian car thinking it could be a US car LoL. Additionally when you register in CAnada you submit your US Title to MTO, Also I am hoping RIV has some kind of information sharing arrangement with USA. Long story short I wasn’t worried about that.

zoh7009

Star Member
Oct 27, 2018
Hi Guys,
So I did some research and all the time in almost all the case scenarios, My car value is showing less If I plan to import to Canada from the US.

For Ex: the 2016 Toyota Camry LE with 65,000 miles is costing me USD $18000 near PA state. the same Exact model, year, and similar kilometer car in CANADA cost CAD$18995, which is equivalent to ~USD $13833.30.
Difference=USD $4166( you can check on cars.com US website and Kijiji /autotrader.ca to compare)

At first, I thought I may be wrong..but I tried with other Brands and models too and all the time my car value is decreased when I import to Canada and plan to sell in a few months or after a year.

So, My question is it worth/ profitable to import a car from the US to Canada?

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Hi Guys,
So I did some research and all the time in almost all the case scenarios, My car value is showing less If I plan to import to Canada from the US.

For Ex: the 2016 Toyota Camry LE with 65,000 miles is costing me USD $18000 near PA state. the same Exact model, year, and similar kilometer car in CANADA cost CAD$18995, which is equivalent to ~USD $13833.30.
Difference=USD $4166( you can check on cars.com US website and Kijiji /autotrader.ca to compare)

At first, I thought I may be wrong..but I tried with other Brands and models too and all the time my car value is decreased when I import to Canada and plan to sell in a few months or after a year.

So, My question is it worth/ profitable to import a car from the US to Canada?
Have you checked how much duty you will pay to government and cost of RIV modification(s)? How about exchange rate? Are you sure it's always gonna be as high as today (1.38)? Just my 0.02 cents.

zoh7009

Star Member
Oct 27, 2018
Have you checked how much duty you will pay to government and cost of RIV modification(s)? How about exchange rate? Are you sure it's always gonna be as high as today (1.38)? Just my 0.02 cents.
exactly what i am trying to say.
so lets say if i buy a car USD $18000 in US ( or i already have it) then while importing plus + duty+RIV+blah blah then after a month if i am going to sell it will only give me back USD $13800 which will be a loss right after a day or 10.. am I right?

so that’s why Iam asking “is it worth to import or just simply buy when i moved to canada?”

zoh7009

Star Member
Oct 27, 2018
Hello guys,
I Have declared my previous car VIN while doing landing in 2021 . Now in 2023 i am planning to move permanently and I have a different car than the one which i have declared while crossing the border first time on COPR. Will the new car be taxed or exempted? as this is the first time I will be moving permanently. Is anyone in the same boat as mine currently or in the past. Please suggest.

Thank you in Advance