+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting a Vehicle from the U.S. and Importing into Canada: Complete Step-by-Step Guide

mayple

Star Member
Dec 30, 2017
I got so much help from this thread and similar ones on how to import my car from the US. It seemed daunting at first, but I read through all the experiences many times and it all worked out in the end.

Here's a summary of the process:
  • I used the Simplified Trade Solutions agency to get my ITN. I applied online, paid $35 and got the ITN within 48 hours.
  • I emailed the Alexandria Bay CBP office of my intention to export my car. Gave them my VIN, the ITN and scheduled day. (they only export Mon-Friday 8:00 am - 4:00 pm). They responded the next day and said I didn't need any more documents. The only instruction was to park at the Duty Free store and call when I got there.
  • I got there 8am on my scheduled day and called the office. An officer came out to get me. Another officer took my original Title and made copies, stamped the Title as 'exported' and walked back to my car with me to confirm my VIN before handing me my Title.
  • The whole process took 20 minutes, so I was back in my car by 8:20am
  • Proceeded to the Canadian border for my landing formalities. I was the only PR landing, so everything went pretty fast as well. I had to pay a $100 environmental fee and I was out of there in about 1 hour.

Thanks to everyone who shared their experiences.
I have a couple of questions if anyone can help answer

1. Do you have to get an ITIN number?
2. Can you get the ITIN on your own or must you get it from a broker?
3. Can a car dealer from whom you've bought your car get you the ITIN instead of a random broker?

Thanks

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017

3. Can a car dealer from whom you've bought your car get you the ITIN instead of a random broker?

Thanks
You would need ITN number to do export. Just go to https://simplifiedtradesolutions.com/ to get ITN number for $35US . This is very simple process.

Jun 1, 2019
Hello all,

I really love the community here and the way y'all help out each other. So kudos on that and I am sure we will continue to be a community that supports each other during these trying times. I have a couple of questions for the car import I am trying to do in the next month or so.

1. I landed in Canada back in November 2019 and I did not have a BSF186A form with me along with a car listed. At the point, the officer asked me to just bring in the form when I eventually move my car into Canada from the US and the border officer would accept that and would allow me to import it without any duty. Will they still honor this? I am assuming I have a decent chance of still incurring duties on my car given that it is almost 2022 and that it was only a word-of-mouth assurance.

2. Apart from the duties that I may have to pay, what would be a good estimate for the other fees that I would pay at the border? I would ideally like both CBP and CBSA fees, if possible.

For context, the car I am trying to import a 2017 Toyota RAV4 that I just paid off and am expecting my title very soon. Thanks!

Caramel005

Apr 2, 2021

Thanks
I had created an ITIN before I decided to go with a broker. The export documents they sent me had a new ITIN so that was the one I used. I do not have any information about using a car dealer.

tuhadapeo

Jul 20, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal -> Vancouver
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-12-2018
AOR Received.
04-12-2018
Med's Done....
14-01-2019
The steps in this thread are still valid as of May 2022. I successfully imported my vehicle. Just a note on step 11 - Once the RIV process is complete and they send you a Canadian certification label, please make sure to review that before affixing it to your car. There were some discrepancies in mine and I brought those to their attention and they sent a new one over.

I do have a question about the label, can anyone answer who has completed the process, did you have to make any modifications to your vehicle? I didn't have to make any but my label states "This vehicle has been altered per...." even though there wasn't any alteration. I called them and they said it's standard text, but I wanted to confirm if anyone had a similar experience.

Reactions: desmat

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
The steps in this thread are still valid as of May 2022. I successfully imported my vehicle. Just a note on step 11 - Once the RIV process is complete and they send you a Canadian certification label, please make sure to review that before affixing it to your car. There were some discrepancies in mine and I brought those to their attention and they sent a new one over.

I do have a question about the label, can anyone answer who has completed the process, did you have to make any modifications to your vehicle? I didn't have to make any but my label states "This vehicle has been altered per...." even though there wasn't any alteration. I called them and they said it's standard text, but I wanted to confirm if anyone had a similar experience.
The thread does not talk about safety inspection certificate... Isn't that required for registration with service Ontario?

tuhadapeo

Jul 20, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal -> Vancouver
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-12-2018
AOR Received.
04-12-2018
Med's Done....
14-01-2019
The thread does not talk about safety inspection certificate... Isn't that required for registration with service Ontario?
Good catch! you’ll need safety inspection, DL, and insurance before you can register in Ontario.

mojyCanadian

Jun 1, 2022
Hey guys,

I am getting ready to import my car and I was really struggling to find comprehensive, up-to-date info on the complete process. It was really stressing me out, so I decided to put together a comprehensive, step-by-step guide that was up to date. There are some helpful posts on this forum, but it seems like the process has changed a little bit since those were published, so I figured something up-to-date might be helpful for everyone.

I will note that you can import your vehicle either at the time of landing, or AFTER your landing (if you mark your car as "goods to follow" on your B4 form), but you should not import your car BEFORE you land, as importing it as part of your landing ensures you are exempt from paying duty or taxes on the car.

Chapter 1 - Before You Export

STEP 1

The first thing you need to do is make sure your vehicle is admissible to Canada. You can check that here: http://www.tc.gc.ca/motorvehiclesafety/SafeVehicles/Importation/Usa/VAFUS/list2/Section3_0.htm

STEP 2
If you are currently financing your vehicle, you need to obtain a clearance letter from the lender stating that you have their permission to export the vehicle. Note that the majority of lenders are NOT likely to give this permission, so if that is the case, you will need to pay off your vehicle in order to obtain the title clear of liens so that you can export the car. If this is not an option, selling the car in the US and buying a new car in Canada will be the best option for you.

STEP 3
Research the port of entry where you plan to export your vehicle from the US. Note that not all border crossings process vehicle exports and you will need to confirm the location and hours of operation and general procedures for the port of your choice. For example, we were planning to do my landing at the Peace Bridge crossing, but discovered that the Queenston-Lewiston crossing is the only place you can export a vehicle in Western New York.

Reach out by phone or email so you can confirm the days/times they are open to process vehicle exports and the email or fax information you will need to submit your 72 hour export notice to.

STEP 4
You will need to enlist the services of a customs broker to complete an AES filing for you. This filing will result in the issuance of an ITN number, which is needed to export the car. The AES is basically an electronic system where everything exported out of the US gets "logged" into, and we as average everyday citizens do not have easy access to it, which is why a customs broker has to do it. You should be able to find a broker to do this for around $50-$75. Google "AES vehicle export customs broker" and you will find lots of options. They will have you fill out some mildly confusing forms and when the filing is complete, they will issue the ITN number. Note you need this process to be completed PRIOR to giving your 72 hours export notice.

STEP 5
72 hours prior to export, your vehicle needs to be INSIDE the United States (and needs to stay in the U.S. from that point on until you export it). At 72 hours prior to export, submit (via email or fax depending on the instructions you got from the port of entry) your notice of intent to export. This generally will just include your VIN, the ITN number, and a note stating the day and approximate time you plan to export your vehicle.

STEP 6
To save time, you should complete the "Vehicle Export Form" (this is used for the Canadian part of the process) online in advance, print and bring with you to your landing. http://www.riv.ca/OnlineForms/Home/Landing

CHAPTER 2 - AT THE BORDER

STEP 7

Immediately before you report to the Canadian border crossing to complete your landing and import your car, you need to complete the export at the U.S. side. (When you contact the export office in Step 3, ask them where you need to physically bring the car at the time of export).

You will need to bring the following items:
-Your ITN number
-Your VIN number
-Copy of the 72 hour notice you submitted
-Original vehicle title showing there are no liens/loans, OR a certified copy of the title along with a letter from the lender stating it is OK for you to export the car
-Your passport
-Bill of sale

Once they process the export you can report immediately to the Canadian border crossing to import your car and complete your landing.

STEP 8
At the Canadian border. You should have your vehicle and its VIN listed on your B4 form with all the goods you are importing, but you also need to have the Vehicle Import form mentioned in Step 6. You also need to have:

-Any documents/receipts given to you by the US export office
-Original vehicle title showing there are no liens/loans, OR a certified copy of the title along with a letter from the lender stating it is OK for you to export the car
-Bill of sale

CBSA will electronically submit your Vehicle Import form to RIV (the organization in Canada responsible for completing the process of importing your vehicle).

Chapter 3 - IN CANADA

STEP 9

You have 45 days to complete the RIV process once the vehicle is in Canada. To begin this process, you need to submit a few things to RIV in order for them to release your inspection letter. Check their website for the contact information/email addresses as to where to submit this information.

1. To speed things up you can re-submit a copy of your Vehicle Import form to RIV, even though CBSA does submit it to them also.
2. You also need to submit a manufacturer recall clearance letter (this can be done up to 30 days in advance). http://www.riv.ca/RecallClearance.aspx
3. Lastly, you need to pay the import fees: https://www.riv.ca/MakeAnRIVPayment.aspx

STEP 10
RIV will send you an inspection letter specific to your vehicle which you can use to get your vehicle inspected. The letter will list the specific modifications applicable to your vehicle that you need to make sure are completed PRIOR to your inspection. These are typically completed at the dealership. You also need to ensure your car has a US compliance label on it somewhere (it should already have this).

STEP 11
Once your modifications are completed, locate the RIV inspection location nearest you and bring in your car to be inspected. When the inspection is successfully complete, they will stamp your Vehicle Import Form indicating this, which is what you will bring to get your car registered and tagged. They will also send you a Canadian compliance label in the mail which you will affix to your vehicle to replace the US one.

STEP 12
Bring your stamped form to wherever vehicles are registered in your province (ex, Service Ontario) along with whatever other proof is required in your province (for example, drivers license, proof of insurance, bill of sale, and original title). Get your tags and you are done!

--

A NOTE ON DRIVERS LICENSE AND CAR INSURANCE
Before you complete the final step of getting your car registered and tagged, you will need a provincial drivers license. You will need Canadian insurance policy on the car in order to get it tagged, and you will need a Canadian drivers license in order to obtain that policy, so the order should be as follows - 1) Get Canadian drivers license first (try to do this immediately after landing, for most US residents you should be able to do an instantaneous trade in of your existing US license); 2) Then get Canadian insurance policy on the car (try to set this up prior to landing so that all you have to do is submit your new Canadian drivers license info to them in order to finalize and activate the policy). Once you have the proof of insurance, you can proceed with Step 12 above.

--

I really hope this is helpful and please let me know if there is anything I am missing or forgetting!
Thanks very much for step by step explanation. I am working under TN in USA for 11 years and returning back to Canada in a month. I have a 2022 Mazda to be imported. I understand that there is a fee for RIV registration. Should I pay any tax for importing my car?

mojyCanadian

Jun 1, 2022
Thanks for confirming the steps. I am working under TN in USA for 11 years and returning back to Canada in a month. I have a 2022 Mazda to be imported. I understand that there is a fee for RIV registration. Should I pay any tax for importing my car?

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Thanks for confirming the steps. I am working under TN in USA for 11 years and returning back to Canada in a month. I have a 2022 Mazda to be imported. I understand that there is a fee for RIV registration. Should I pay any tax for importing my car?
Try to research "$10000 exemption " for Canadian moving back from USA...

Asw192

Jul 17, 2020
I am filling out the RIV import form and it has a question about compliance. Vehicle has statement of compliance or manufacturer letter of certification. Which one should be selected? I have toyota RAV4 Hybrid 2021 model car.

Asw192

Jul 17, 2020
I sent an email to Buffalo export office with ITN and VIN number today and told them I would be exporting on June 27th but haven't received any reply yet. Do they reply?

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
I sent an email to Buffalo export office with ITN and VIN number today and told them I would be exporting on June 27th but haven't received any reply yet. Do they reply?
Sometimes they do, sometimes not. With my first vehicle I've got auto reply from Detroit office, with second vehicle I did not. What important is you have the printout of that email you've sent.

mizuki

Jun 28, 2022
Sometimes they do, sometimes not. With my first vehicle I've got auto reply from Detroit office, with second vehicle I did not. What important is you have the printout of that email you've sent.
Hello Alex54321,

I am in a very similar (if not the same situation) as you were in. I am a dual citizen of Canada & the US. I returned to Canada to live & study in August, 2021. I drove my US-made and fully owned vehicle through the border at that time. Because I am a Canadian citizen, they entered me as a returning resident and give me a Form 1 to import my car. I completed the RIV inspection on this car but it is still US-plated and registered. I am about to get it Canadian-plated and registered, but before I do this, I want to export it from the United States. I initially never intended to import it to Canada, so I never exported it from the US before I crossed into Canada. CBSA were not bothered by this and gave me a Form 1 to fill out and told me I needed to import it. After my university studies are completed here in Canada, I might return to the US with this car. So, I really want to cross all my Ts so that I don't have any issues when I return to the US with this vehicle. This is why I think I need to go to the border to export it. Do you agree that I need to do this?

I intend to do the export from the Calais, Maine border. It's my understanding that my car is almost already fully imported to Canada given that it has already passed it's RIV inspection and that I received the stickers to put on the car. But I do still have it US-plated and registered.

Will I have any issues driving this car back through the US border to do the export? And will the car have to be in the US for the full 72 hours before I can export it? Or can I just send the needed documents beforehand? I was also told that given that I am a US-citizen, I do not need to use a broker. Is this correct?

Thanks for your help!

mayple

Star Member
Dec 30, 2017
Hello Alex54321,

I am in a very similar (if not the same situation) as you were in. I am a dual citizen of Canada & the US. I returned to Canada to live & study in August, 2021. I drove my US-made and fully owned vehicle through the border at that time. Because I am a Canadian citizen, they entered me as a returning resident and give me a Form 1 to import my car. I completed the RIV inspection on this car but it is still US-plated and registered. I am about to get it Canadian-plated and registered, but before I do this, I want to export it from the United States. I initially never intended to import it to Canada, so I never exported it from the US before I crossed into Canada. CBSA were not bothered by this and gave me a Form 1 to fill out and told me I needed to import it. After my university studies are completed here in Canada, I might return to the US with this car. So, I really want to cross all my Ts so that I don't have any issues when I return to the US with this vehicle. This is why I think I need to go to the border to export it. Do you agree that I need to do this?

I intend to do the export from the Calais, Maine border. It's my understanding that my car is almost already fully imported to Canada given that it has already passed it's RIV inspection and that I received the stickers to put on the car. But I do still have it US-plated and registered.

Will I have any issues driving this car back through the US border to do the export? And will the car have to be in the US for the full 72 hours before I can export it? Or can I just send the needed documents beforehand? I was also told that given that I am a US-citizen, I do not need to use a broker. Is this correct?

Thanks for your help!
A little tricky situation, but you car from a US perspective isn't exported because they did not stamp your US registration document and enter it in their system. Your car is also not completely imported because you have not registered it in a Canadian province yet. You're in the middle of the import process. You can go to the US border to complete the export formalities, but the car has to be in the US for 72 hours prior to the export process. You have to get an ITN number and email the details to the port of entry/border 72 hours prior to showing up at the border. You will, therefore, need to plan to be in the US with your vehicle to meet those timeline requirements. You can call the CBSA border POE to confirm these requirement over the phone as well.