+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting a Vehicle from the U.S. and Importing into Canada: Complete Step-by-Step Guide

mizuki

Jun 28, 2022
Do you think that I need to go back to export this vehicle to prevent future problems? Basically, I am wondering if I should go back to export it. If I don't export it and return to the US to live in 2 years with this vehicle, will I have problems registering it in a state there?

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Do you think that I need to go back to export this vehicle to prevent future problems? Basically, I am wondering if I should go back to export it. If I don't export it and return to the US to live in 2 years with this vehicle, will I have problems registering it in a state there?
There are different scenarios. I lived in Canada, but drove back and forth to my US office to work on my US plated / insured car for a while and finally got tired to explain every day US customs and Canadian customs where I resident/visitor, etc. So after several months I exported car and registered in Ontario and all these questions gone - all is simple: the resident of Ontario (Canadian and US citizen) goes to workplace in US and returns back on his Canada plated/insured vehicle.

1. When I did registration of my vehicle in Ontario I surrender the US Title and got back their green reg card, the ServiceOntario did not pay attention to export stamp in the Title.
2. If you formally export the vehicle and later return to US you can re-import the same vehicle back to US for free and to restore the Title.
3. Today the vehicle located in Canada and US Plated/Insured - are you sure you are covered by US insurance and will be reimbursed in the case of accident?
4. I do not agree with "...but the car has to be in the US for 72 hours prior to the export process...". At least at Detroit border. I sent email about my intend to export for 72 hours prior the export and drove to US office from Canada on the actual export day ( did it twice - with two cars).
5. Forgot about your US DL. I think in order to get Canadian insurance you have to get first (exchange) the Canadian DL and surrender your US DL.
6. I was using https://simplifiedtradesolutions.com/ to get ITN number ( $35 and the next busines day).

mizuki

Jun 28, 2022
There are different scenarios. I lived in Canada, but drove back and forth to my US office to work on my US plated / insured car for a while and finally got tired to explain every day US customs and Canadian customs where I resident/visitor, etc. So after several months I exported car and registered in Ontario and all these questions gone - all is simple: the resident of Ontario (Canadian and US citizen) goes to workplace in US and returns back on his Canada plated/insured vehicle.

1. When I did registration of my vehicle in Ontario I surrender the US Title and got back their green reg card, the ServiceOntario did not pay attention to export stamp in the Title.
2. If you formally export the vehicle and later return to US you can re-import the same vehicle back to US for free and to restore the Title.
3. Today the vehicle located in Canada and US Plated/Insured - are you sure you are covered by US insurance and will be reimbursed in the case of accident?
4. I do not agree with "...but the car has to be in the US for 72 hours prior to the export process...". At least at Detroit border. I sent email about my intend to export for 72 hours prior the export and drove to US office from Canada on the actual export day ( did it twice - with two cars).
5. Forgot about your US DL. I think in order to get Canadian insurance you have to get first (exchange) the Canadian DL and surrender your US DL.
6. I was using https://simplifiedtradesolutions.com/ to get ITN number ( $35 and the next busines day).

mayple

Star Member
Dec 30, 2017

I think you're right. The requirement is below

eCFR :: 19 CFR Part 192 -- Export Control

Exportation at land border crossing points. For those vehicles exported by rail, highway, or under their own power:
(i) The required documentation must be submitted to Customs at least 72 hours prior to export; and
(ii) The vehicle must be presented to Customs at the time of exportation.

mizuki

Jun 28, 2022
I do still have US insurance on the vehicle. But, I haven't really been driving it since getting here. I am pretty sure my insurance is still okay on it. Once I export it and finish importing it, I intend to drop the US insurance. I already have a Canadian drivers license. I bought a smaller Canadian car when I moved here and had to give up my US drivers license then to register it.

My concern is getting to the US border and them giving me difficulty, like seizing my car or fining me or something.

I intend to call Calais, Maine to ask them if I can just email/fax them the documentation at least 72 hours in advance of going to the border. I would prefer to just make the 6-hr drive to the border, do the export and drive back into Canada on the same day.

One thing that is interesting here in PEI, where I would be registering the vehicle, is that "Access PEI" said they would not take my US title. They said they would only take my US registration. Not the title. Access PEI is not requiring me to export the car from the US. They don't care. CBSA don't care either. I care, however, because I may want to return to the US with this car once I finish my studies here. I want to avoid future problems if I do return to live in the US with this vehicle.

mayple

Star Member
Dec 30, 2017
I do still have US insurance on the vehicle. But, I haven't really been driving it since getting here. I am pretty sure my insurance is still okay on it. Once I export it and finish importing it, I intend to drop the US insurance. I already have a Canadian drivers license. I bought a smaller Canadian car when I moved here and had to give up my US drivers license then to register it.

My concern is getting to the US border and them giving me difficulty, like seizing my car or fining me or something.

I intend to call Calais, Maine to ask them if I can just email/fax them the documentation at least 72 hours in advance of going to the border. I would prefer to just make the 6-hr drive to the border, do the export and drive back into Canada on the same day.

One thing that is interesting here in PEI, where I would be registering the vehicle, is that "Access PEI" said they would not take my US title. They said they would only take my US registration. Not the title. Access PEI is not requiring me to export the car from the US. They don't care. CBSA don't care either. I care, however, because I may want to return to the US with this car once I finish my studies here. I want to avoid future problems if I do return to live in the US with this vehicle.
You have to care about US export if you wish to reimport this vehicle under a Canadian title/registration in the future. At that time, the issue of not having exported the vehicle properly may come up since technically it would be a non-compliance with the US law

mizuki

Jun 28, 2022
You have to care about US export if you wish to reimport this vehicle under a Canadian title/registration in the future. At that time, the issue of not having exported the vehicle properly may come up since technically it would be a non-compliance with the US law
Okay, I understand. This is my concern. I want to be in compliance, especially considering I may want to return to the US with this car. I just hope I won't have any issues when I get to the US border.

mayple

Star Member
Dec 30, 2017
Okay, I understand. This is my concern. I want to be in compliance, especially considering I may want to return to the US with this car. I just hope I won't have any issues when I get to the US border.
Call them and ask them about your situation. They are usually helpful. You'll get a sense of how much trouble, if any, it might be so you're somewhat mentally prepared

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
At the end do not forget the main thing - you are the US citizen ( with by the way US car) with all your rights !!!

shxhb

Oct 15, 2022
Hello,

I am a PR and I will be moving back to Alberta from the US. I am going to import my car from the US to Canada and I am planning to cross the border in BC (Trans-Canada is very beautiful for a road trip). Now my question is when I cross the border in BC, how are they going to tax me on my imported car? Is the tax rate going to be based on BC's which is 5% GST + 7% PST or based on Alberta's which is only 5%? I will work and live in Alberta.

Thank you for your answer.

sh

matteosc

Apr 6, 2020
Hello,

I am a PR and I will be moving back to Alberta from the US. I am going to import my car from the US to Canada and I am planning to cross the border in BC (Trans-Canada is very beautiful for a road trip). Now my question is when I cross the border in BC, how are they going to tax me on my imported car? Is the tax rate going to be based on BC's which is 5% GST + 7% PST or based on Alberta's which is only 5%? I will work and live in Alberta.

Thank you for your answer.

sh
Hi, I am not sure about which taxes you will be paying, but I am wondering: are you already PR? Did you list the car as good to follow when first landed?

Jan 23, 2018
If I export the Car upon first entry from USA to CANADA, may I drive the car to USA and then come back to Canada few weeks later without exporting again?

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
If I export the Car upon first entry from USA to CANADA, may I drive the car to USA and then come back to Canada few weeks later without exporting again?
Yes, you do not have to do export again, your car's Title will be stamped by US export office only once. As far as travel every time you will have to answer the question where do you live and reason for your trip. If you drive to US and claim you are Canadian PR living in Canada the US customs could ask why you are driving US plated car. If you drive back to Canada and say to Canadian customs the you are returning home they could ask why you are driving US plated car. A lot of explanations during temporary period of export from US and import/RIV/insurance/registration in Canada.

guitarman

Star Member
Aug 17, 2018
Hey everyone, we exported our from the US to Canada last week and just want to say that all this info in the first post is still relevant.

Our situation was a bit unusual so I'll describe it here in case it helps anyone.

I came to Canada as a student from the US and because of this I didn't need to import my car. I could keep the US plates with US insurance.

I became a PR during Covid and was freaked out because the border was closed. I didn't want to cross the border, stay in a hotel for three days, potentially getting sick. Because of this I went to the local border patrol office in August of 2020 (not at the border but in the city) and they let me know that the rule requiring car importation after PR (I think within 90 days) had been suspended indefinitely: I could keep driving my car with US plates. This was 1.5 years ago. I planned to import my car during the holidays because that would give me a reason to go to the US for more than 3 days.

Went to the same border office in the city in early December and they said (thankfully) that I wouldn't have to pay import duties on the car, as this would be my first crossing since covid.

Went home, had some nice times and drove back and everything was super easy thanks to this thread.

zaid.ahmed23

Oct 30, 2019
Hello,

I'll be moving to Canada permanently in February from Seattle, WA to Toronto and have decided to ship my car. I don't intend on driving my car cross country. Does anyone have experience with this? The shipping company I have spoken with, said they'll be delivering the car to a bonded facility in Mississauga from where I'll need to pick up my car. I am confused, since I don't know if in such a case what I should be doing? What steps mentioned in the first post should I follow.

Any advice will help.