+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting a Vehicle from the U.S. and Importing into Canada: Complete Step-by-Step Guide

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Hi guys, what is Form 2? We are taking the car for RIV inspection to Canadian Tire tomorrow and apparently we have to bring Form 2 with us..
All I had from CBSA office is stamped "VEHICLE IMPORT FORM - FORM 1" . That's the proof of import getting from CBSA officer.

dilips24

Aug 11, 2021
Hi, I'm a Canadian in Canada at the moment with a US vehicle. I've been trying to figure out how to export the vehicle from the US but I've had no luck with the current COVID situation and not being able to enter the US. Has anyone dealt with this or any idea what can I do?
HI ,
I am in similar situation . Entered in Canada in July and was not able to export/import as my title was in correction process after i paid off the loan.
How did you exported the car from USA and registered it in Canada later ?
I may not be able to enter in USA to complete export process as this is non-essential travel and Canadian Citizen might not allowed to cross border .
please help!
Right now i am driving US plated car in Ontario on US License/Insurance .

dilips24

Aug 11, 2021
I would suggest you to finish formal import in Canada with CBSA and RIV. Of course, when you go to register your car in Canada they will take your Title, but if you decide later to do the export - you can/could request the Title duplicate ( like from Secretary of State in Michigan) and do proper export with CBP with this Title copy. After you finish import and do Canadian registration you could cancel your US insurance. Regardless, it's a good idea to have a photocopy of your existing Title.
Thanks for response .
Will US CBP allow me to complete the export process on Canadian plated Car? Will i be allowed to enter on Car which was not properly exported ?
I assume they might allow considering current covid situation when Canadian citizen is not allowed to cross border for non-essential travel

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Thanks for response .
Will US CBP allow me to complete the export process on Canadian plated Car? Will i be allowed to enter on Car which was not properly exported ?
I assume they might allow considering current covid situation when Canadian citizen is not allowed to cross border for non-essential travel
When you are able to enter US (September/October/Who knows when) I do not see a problem with export process as long as you have ITN number, 72 hours advance notice, Title and your ID (passport). I did it twice and they never looked at the actual car parked outside, just a paperwork. Entering US is about you, it's not about your car.

Also - "Right now i am driving US plated car in Ontario on US License/Insurance." . Probably it's ok as far as Canadian police, but how will you interact with your US insurance company in case of "event"? Do you see what I am saying? What is your auto insurance company policy in regard of driving in the foreign country? Are you covered? Just think/research this.

smarties66

Feb 5, 2018
Hi guys, what is Form 2? We are taking the car for RIV inspection to Canadian Tire tomorrow and apparently we have to bring Form 2 with us..
You need form 2 in order to have the federal inspection done. It's a form that the RIV will release (will be send by mail) after they have received the Form-1 from the import process. Form-1 is supposed to be sent by CBSA but they told be it's better to take no chance and send it to them by email.

Reactions: Alex54321

Sam112

Oct 5, 2021
@KBH Thank you so much for the information. Could someone please help me understand how to get Canadian Auto insurance for the car before registering it? There's a chicken-and-egg problem. Insurance says they can't insure a non-Canada car and the Ontario Motor Vehicles authorities need insurance to register the car.

How does this work?

dilips24

Aug 11, 2021
You just need VIN number, Canadian DL and Canadian address for getting insurance in Canada. They should not ask for plate number .
Once you get the insurance, register the vehicle in Canada .
I did the same this month only and registered the US plated/registered car in Ontario. I took the insurance from INOVA insurance.

Sam112

Oct 5, 2021
You just need VIN number, Canadian DL and Canadian address for getting insurance in Canada. They should not ask for plate number .
Once you get the insurance, register the vehicle in Canada .
I did the same this month only and registered the US plated/registered car in Ontario. I took the insurance from INOVA insurance.
Oh, is that so? This is very good to know, thank you. I called many insurance companies today and they just refused to insure a car not registered in Ontario!

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Oh, is that so? This is very good to know, thank you. I called many insurance companies today and they just refused to insure a car not registered in Ontario!
Not true. I use https://www.cooperators.ca/ . They asked for different things (i.e. driving experince, driving record), but not registration.

Don't put cart before the horse.

YJagan

Oct 26, 2021
I have a Toyota Corolla 2018 model planning to bring it form US to Canada. Is it fine if we have analog speedometer with mph as the primary system. Does it pass the inspection.

Website says for Toyota models.

https://www2.tc.gc.ca/motorvehiclesafety/safevehicles/importation/usa/vafus/list2/TOYOTA_3_0.htm

Consult the owner manual for information on the functionality to switch speedometer units from mph to km/h. Vehicles lacking digital speedometers programmed in kilometers per hour (km/h) will fail the inspection and will be reported as inadmissible.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
I have a Toyota Corolla 2018 model planning to bring it form US to Canada. Is it fine if we have analog speedometer with mph as the primary system. Does it pass the inspection.

Website says for Toyota models.

https://www2.tc.gc.ca/motorvehiclesafety/safevehicles/importation/usa/vafus/list2/TOYOTA_3_0.htm

Consult the owner manual for information on the functionality to switch speedometer units from mph to km/h. Vehicles lacking digital speedometers programmed in kilometers per hour (km/h) will fail the inspection and will be reported as inadmissible.
If you are not in Canada yet, I would call any Canadian Tire automotive department and ask what needed to be modified for your vehicle. Just mention that the purpose is import vehicle to Canada and to pass RIV inspection. On my Mercedes the speedometer scale is in mph, but in the center there is a digital display, which I can switch back and forth mph<-->km/h. That was OK for inspection.

Not sure about Corolla, but remember on my previous RAV4 the speedometer scale had 2 labels - mph and km/h.

YJagan

Oct 26, 2021
If you are not in Canada yet, I would call any Canadian Tire automotive department and ask what needed to be modified for your vehicle. Just mention that the purpose is import vehicle to Canada and to pass RIV inspection. On my Mercedes the speedometer scale is in mph, but in the center there is a digital display, which I can switch back and forth mph<-->km/h. That was OK for inspection.

Not sure about Corolla, but remember on my previous RAV4 the speedometer scale had 2 labels - mph and km/h.

Does your RAV4 passed the inspection test.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Does your RAV4 passed the inspection test.
Sorry for confusion, I did not import RAV4. I just owned her in the past (MY2010) and remember two scales on speedometer.

Caramel005

Apr 2, 2021
I got so much help from this thread and similar ones on how to import my car from the US. It seemed daunting at first, but I read through all the experiences many times and it all worked out in the end.

Here's a summary of the process:
  • I used the Simplified Trade Solutions agency to get my ITN. I applied online, paid $35 and got the ITN within 48 hours.
  • I emailed the Alexandria Bay CBP office of my intention to export my car. Gave them my VIN, the ITN and scheduled day. (they only export Mon-Friday 8:00 am - 4:00 pm). They responded the next day and said I didn't need any more documents. The only instruction was to park at the Duty Free store and call when I got there.
  • I got there 8am on my scheduled day and called the office. An officer came out to get me. Another officer took my original Title and made copies, stamped the Title as 'exported' and walked back to my car with me to confirm my VIN before handing me my Title.
  • The whole process took 20 minutes, so I was back in my car by 8:20am
  • Proceeded to the Canadian border for my landing formalities. I was the only PR landing, so everything went pretty fast as well. I had to pay a $100 environmental fee and I was out of there in about 1 hour.

Thanks to everyone who shared their experiences.

Reactions: cjr and Alex54321

maverick3186

Oct 25, 2018
Hi Everyone! Looking for some help here as I plan my permanent move to Canada from US. Have read through the details of the vehicle import process on this thread and several others. I understand the basics. Just had a couple of specific questions I was hoping someone will be able to help out with :

1. My US car is registered in Ohio. There is no lien on the car. But Ohio BMV has some specific requirements regarding exporting vehicles registered in Ohio. Just wondering whether anyone in this forum exported a car which was registered in Ohio?

2. Has anyone exported a car using a Certified Copy of the Title and NOT the original title? If so, how was your experience on the US (CBP) and Canada (CBSA) posts? Did they insist on the original title or any other issues like that?

Appreciate everyone's help in advance!