+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting a Vehicle from the U.S. and Importing into Canada: Complete Step-by-Step Guide

tqtrace

Apr 6, 2021
I reviewed the forum, however, I couldn't find a specific detail.

I am in the process of getting my PR. In planning for landing, we have been reviewing exporting/importing vehicles. From my understanding, as my classification would be a settler, I would not have a timeline on how long I owned a vehicle before exporting/importing from US to Canada. Reason being, I would like to buy a second vehicle for my wife in the states.

I have two questions.

1. Is there a time requirement for ownership prior to importing to Canada (if so, does that timeline need to be fulfilled when my initial landing done, or would it be when the actual import is done, assuming I dont forget to put the vehicle on a goods to follow list)

2. (I noticed this was mentioned on a previous post, but the answer was hazy) If I buy a car prior to landing, does it have to be in the State I live in. Example, I live in California, but would like to buy the car in Oregon. Would this create a pain in the neck to take care of, or would it be worth saving the sales tax cost?

Thank you all who have been so informative on this thread. It has given me some really valuable information!

wego2canada

Dec 23, 2020
Hello @headingnorth - noticed in one of the posts that you shipped your car to Toronto - if that’s the case, did you go to US customs to show them the title / registration for the export process ?

I am planning to ship my car , but I am unsure of which steps I would have to do for the permanent export - import versus what the shipper would do for US customs, CBSA,RIV etc..
Any advice you or others have experienced would be most appreciated.

( Once I leave the US I wouldn’t be able to come back.)

headingnorth

Star Member
Jun 4, 2018
@wego2canada the shipping company took care of the export from the US. I provided them title and registration. Once in canada, i went and claimed the vehicle, and as part of the import process form 1 was provided. After that the other processes of RIV Registration etc.,

ars23

Jul 14, 2020
I'm not clear if I can import a car that is more than 15 years old from the USA (A 2005 Prius). Thanks for any help!

joeskc

Feb 5, 2021
I have a temporary license and I am still waiting for the original license to be mailed at my address. My question is, am I eligible to register my vehicle with temporary license ?
Yes. I got mine with temp license. Along with that presented, Form 1 and safety inspection checklist from Canada Tire

pseetha

Jan 1, 2018
I have my car declared in the goods to follow and I am in Canada already but my car is with my spouse in US. Is there an option for my spouse(who too has landed already) to directly drive into Canada and I can do the car import formalities within Canada than in the border? I am worried about my spouse handling it in the border with a small kid with all the paper work that is needed there

exandin

Jul 22, 2021
Can anyone help me with this?

I have one question about exporting a co-owned car. Our car is owned by me and my husband, and I'm the only one who's going to export our car and crossing the border. (I'll be landing on a temporary worker, and he'll be departing to another country for work) We were gonna go together to the CBP office and export it, but it seems that after the export, you cannot stay in the US anymore. (He won't be able to cross the border because he's not American or Canadian, fully vaccinated though.) Does anyone know about any rule or policy on this co-ownership thing? I mean, can I just go to the CBP office and export our car without him? I feel like I should bring some documents like a copy of his passport, his approval.

ars23

Jul 14, 2020
Can anyone help me with this?

I have one question about exporting a co-owned car. Our car is owned by me and my husband, and I'm the only one who's going to export our car and crossing the border. (I'll be landing on a temporary worker, and he'll be departing to another country for work) We were gonna go together to the CBP office and export it, but it seems that after the export, you cannot stay in the US anymore. (He won't be able to cross the border because he's not American or Canadian, fully vaccinated though.) Does anyone know about any rule or policy on this co-ownership thing? I mean, can I just go to the CBP office and export our car without him? I feel like I should bring some documents like a copy of his passport, his approval.
My wife (Canadian citizen living in the US) exported one of our cars when she moved back to Canada in June. Both of our names are on the title. But she had no problems crossing the border by herself and doing the export. I recently joined her with my COPR as a new permanent resident.

Reactions: Alex54321

exandin

Jul 22, 2021
My wife (Canadian citizen living in the US) exported one of our cars when she moved back to Canada in June. Both of our names are on the title. But she had no problems crossing the border by herself and doing the export. I recently joined her with my COPR as a new permanent resident.
Thanks, ars23 for your reply! I also reached out to simplifiedtradesolutions where I got an ITN, and they say that if the other person on the title is a spouse then you don't need to do anything else, which I guess explains how your case worked. I'm also thinking about bringing a power of attorney just in case.

Reactions: Alex54321

sn3888

Sep 10, 2020
Can someone help on this ? My car is the US, I moved to Canada a year ago. I initially thought I would sell my car off there and buy one here but now I changed my mind and want to bring it here as its more cost effective. Problem is I cant go to the US myself as I don't have a valid visa, the earliest date for a visa interview is next year. What are my options now ? Can a friend go (I will give him the power of attorney) and drive it up and do the export process on my-behalf ? Or are they any brokers who will do this. I live in Ontario.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Can someone help on this ? My car is the US, I moved to Canada a year ago. I initially thought I would sell my car off there and buy one here but now I changed my mind and want to bring it here as its more cost effective. Problem is I cant go to the US myself as I don't have a valid visa, the earliest date for a visa interview is next year. What are my options now ? Can a friend go (I will give him the power of attorney) and drive it up and do the export process on my-behalf ? Or are they any brokers who will do this. I live in Ontario.
Yes, third party can do the export. Or just import without export - do you really want to do export? Are you going to re-import your vehicle to US in the future? CBSA does not care about export... I did import without export last year, but later did the export anyways to be able to sell the vehicle in US or gift her in the future to my son in US. And the vehicle was registered (Titled) on my spouse (PR) name.

dilips24

Aug 11, 2021
I am a Canadian citizen and moved back to Canada on July 6, 2021 after working in US for 5 years .

I drove with my US plated/Insured car. I couldn’t export/import the Car because I was not having original car title . I had to apply for Title correction after I paid off loan from Toyota and I couldn’t receive the corrected title on time. I did mentioned VIN in Goods to Follow list.

Now I have the corrected title and want to properly export the Car from USA and import in Canada.

But I will not be able to drive to USA to export the car due to travel restriction on non-essential travels.

Is there any opportunity to send ITN and VIN details and request CBP to confirm export without driving the car to USA ?
or I have to wait till border gets open form non-essential travels ?
Can i continue to drive the car in Canada and Is there any timeline before i must import the car?

Please advise .

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
I am a Canadian citizen and moved back to Canada on July 6, 2021 after working in US for 5 years .

I drove with my US plated/Insured car. I couldn’t export/import the Car because I was not having original car title . I had to apply for Title correction after I paid off loan from Toyota and I couldn’t receive the corrected title on time. I did mentioned VIN in Goods to Follow list.

Now I have the corrected title and want to properly export the Car from USA and import in Canada.

But I will not be able to drive to USA to export the car due to travel restriction on non-essential travels.

Is there any opportunity to send ITN and VIN details and request CBP to confirm export without driving the car to USA ?
or I have to wait till border gets open form non-essential travels ?
Can i continue to drive the car in Canada and Is there any timeline before i must import the car?

Please advise .
I would suggest you to finish formal import in Canada with CBSA and RIV. Of course, when you go to register your car in Canada they will take your Title, but if you decide later to do the export - you can/could request the Title duplicate ( like from Secretary of State in Michigan) and do proper export with CBP with this Title copy. After you finish import and do Canadian registration you could cancel your US insurance. Regardless, it's a good idea to have a photocopy of your existing Title.

Last edited:

sboo16

Jan 22, 2021
Hi guys, what is Form 2? We are taking the car for RIV inspection to Canadian Tire tomorrow and apparently we have to bring Form 2 with us..