+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting a Vehicle from the U.S. and Importing into Canada: Complete Step-by-Step Guide

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
Hi Guys,

I understand that in order to get Ontario's license plate, one needs to complete several steps. One of them being getting ON driver's license and ON's auto insurance. I was able to complete RIV inspection and Safety inspection. However, even though I am eligible to exchange my MI license with ON's license, they would not let me inside the drivetest center as I commute to USA on weekly basis for work (I am exempt from quarantine). Hence, I am not able to get ON's drivers license, and hence ON's auto insurance

My question: Is anyone facing the same issue like me? Are there any exemptions that the service center guys have made due to Covid-19 relaxing certain requirements for vehicle registration and acquiring number plate?

Thanks!

joeskc

Feb 5, 2021
Hi all,

Need help!!!!

I did my soft landing in nov 2019 and did not include my car in Accompanying Goods list or GTF list. Now, i will be moving to Canada after more than a year.

I have owned that car since Feb 2018 but now I want to bring it with me. What are my options?

pramodsoori

Star Member
Jan 11, 2019
Hi all,

Need help!!!!

I did my soft landing in nov 2019 and did not include my car in Accompanying Goods list or GTF list. Now, i will be moving to Canada after more than a year.

I have owned that car since Feb 2018 but now I want to bring it with me. What are my options?
Based on my recent experience , if you have owned the car well before first landing the CBSA officers might allow you to include that now.

Else if you last moved out of Canada more than a year ago and now planning to settle in Canada , they can waive the tax on the first 10K CAD for returning resident allowance.
However you cannot sell that car for one year.

LittleNico

Mar 8, 2021
Hello All,

I'm a Canadian Citizen moving back from New York State to Quebec (was on a working VISA). I was leasing a 2019 Honda HRV and since it has barely 4 000 miles on it, I bought out my lease, and I'm intending to import it to Canada. I have the original certificate of tile with no lien recorded, as well as the bill of sale. Waiting a week to get an ITN and I already called the US Port of Alexandria Bay for instructions like emailing documents with the 72 hours rule. I'm sure NYS DMV told me I need a Certificate of Title under my name but both USCBP and CBSA told me all I need was Original certificate of Title (Signed by Honda with a letter stipulating that I purchased it), Bill of Sale (how not to be confused!!)

At the end, my big question is I've been combing through all pages and the more I'm reading, the more I'm confused about whether I'll have to pay taxes/duty during my export/import process. I know I'll have to pay RIV 350$ CAD, ITN 35$ USD but If I understand, by listing my HRV on List of Goods, there would be no GST or QST?

Thanks in advance!

joeskc

Feb 5, 2021
Based on my recent experience , if you have owned the car well before first landing the CBSA officers might allow you to include that now.

Else if you last moved out of Canada more than a year ago and now planning to settle in Canada , they can waive the tax on the first 10K CAD for returning resident allowance.
However you cannot sell that car for one year.
Thanks @pramodsoori
I take it that you did this recently. Can you plz share your experience like which location, how were the officers, etc. I live in Kansas City so Detroit seems to be nearer but I read a post here that the CBSA officers there are not that friendly.

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
In Canada all is about regulations... You will pay duties according to "Canadian Automobile Red Book".

Read on:
How to establish the value for duty of imported goods
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/valuation-valeur/customs-val-douane-eng.html

Used Automobiles, Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Other Vessels
Memorandum D13-10-2
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d13/d13-10-2-eng.html
Hi Alex..
I am back with one question..
Once I get RIV Inspection, How many days do I have to get Canadian license by exchanging US License and/or to get Canadian car registration?

Also, Can I complete RIV inspection and get Canadian license but still continue driving car with US number plate for some days or not allowed at all?

pramodsoori

Star Member
Jan 11, 2019
Hi Alex..
I am back with one question..
Once I get RIV Inspection, How many days do I have to get Canadian license by exchanging US License and/or to get Canadian car registration?

Also, Can I complete RIV inspection and get Canadian license but still continue driving car with US number plate for some days or not allowed at all?
I think it depends on your US insurance , how long they will cover the car after you moved out of the country. In my case i took 2 months to do the registration . My insurance in US told me to move to Canada insurance at the earliest .

pseetha

Jan 1, 2018
I have my PR since 2019. I am currently in US and I am now moving to Canada next month. I have a car that is already declared in the Goods list. Is there any restriction due to COVID in terms of self exporting from US and importing to Canada currently that I need to be careful about? Or is there any restriction on it currently? Any changes in the usual policy due to COVID?

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
I have my PR since 2019. I am currently in US and I am now moving to Canada next month. I have a car that is already declared in the Goods list. Is there any restriction due to COVID in terms of self exporting from US and importing to Canada currently that I need to be careful about? Or is there any restriction on it currently? Any changes in the usual policy due to COVID?
The only change that I know of is that the deadline for everything has been extended indefinitely (atleast for the vehicle registration in Canada).

pseetha

Jan 1, 2018
The only change that I know of is that the deadline for everything has been extended indefinitely (atleast for the vehicle registration in Canada).
So that means, at the border, we have no restriction to move the declared car from US to Canada, correct?

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
So that means, at the border, we have no restriction to move the declared car from US to Canada, correct?
I meant the deadline to register the vehicle after importing into Canada (once you receive Form 1) has been extended. I dont think there is deadline to 'move' the vehicle listed in goods list.

Do you plan to travel between US and Canada regularly for work? If yes, not importing the car (i.e. Form 1), the border guys will keep bugging you to import your vehicle ASAP.

pseetha

Jan 1, 2018
I meant the deadline to register the vehicle after importing into Canada (once you receive Form 1) has been extended. I dont think there is deadline to 'move' the vehicle listed in goods list.

Do you plan to travel between US and Canada regularly for work? If yes, not importing the car (i.e. Form 1), the border guys will keep bugging you to import your vehicle ASAP.
I am not going to be shuttling between US and Canada. I am moving from Chicago to Toronto for good, in next 2 months. I am SELF moving my car too from US to Canada. My question is - There are some rules around importing car into Canada. I wanted to know if there are any restrictions in self importing the car due to COVID

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
I am not going to be shuttling between US and Canada. I am moving from Chicago to Toronto for good, in next 2 months. I am SELF moving my car too from US to Canada. My question is - There are some rules around importing car into Canada. I wanted to know if there are any restrictions in self importing the car due to COVID
Wait, what do you mean by 'Self-Importing'? Once you get your vehicle at the Canadian border, CBSA guys will do all the formalities and give you Form1 (meaning the vehicle is legally imported)

pseetha

Jan 1, 2018
Wait, what do you mean by 'Self-Importing'? Once you get your vehicle at the Canadian border, CBSA guys will do all the formalities and give you Form1 (meaning the vehicle is legally imported)
I mean, I am driving it myself to the border and NOT using any transportation companies to ship it across the border

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
I mean, I am driving it myself to the border and NOT using any transportation companies to ship it across the border
I dont think there are rules that govern 'when should you officially import the vehicle'. However, keep in mind that you will need to give a solid reason as to why wouldn't you want to import your vehicle when you first cross the border.