+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting a Vehicle from the U.S. and Importing into Canada: Complete Step-by-Step Guide

black-bimmer

Oct 21, 2018
I bought a new car in 2015. Will I be charged GST on the 'bill of sale' amount or the current value of the car?
The current market price is 50% less than the original price.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
I bought a new car in 2015. Will I be charged GST on the 'bill of sale' amount or the current value of the car?
The current market price is 50% less than the original price.
In Canada all is about regulations... You will pay duties according to "Canadian Automobile Red Book".

Read on:
How to establish the value for duty of imported goods
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/valuation-valeur/customs-val-douane-eng.html

Used Automobiles, Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Other Vessels
Memorandum D13-10-2
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d13/d13-10-2-eng.html

mspatil1985

Aug 12, 2018
Hello all- thank you for comprehensive guide-I think I may have still messed up by not reading through all steps.

Today I entered Vancouver via road and by mistake said I plan to import vehicle and agent went through the import process- but I have not completed the export from USA process yet.

Can someone help explain how much trouble I am in? and if anyone else has come across this issue before. appreciate your help.

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
Hi All,

Thank you for this thread. This has been very useful information.
--> I imported my vehicle into Canada (BSFA guys gave me Form 1) with all the details in it.
--> I submitted the payment of $367.25 on RIV's website electronically
--> My inspection at Canadian Tire is scheduled tomorrow, where they'll let me know what modifications are required (for my vehicle, they indicated that no modifications may be needed).

What would be the next steps once I get the vehicle inspected at Canadian Tire? Do I need drivers license and Canadian Auto Insurance before I register the vehicle in Canada and get license plate?

I'd really appreciate any help/input on this.

Thank you
Ajeya Gupta

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Hi All,

Thank you for this thread. This has been very useful information.
--> I imported my vehicle into Canada (BSFA guys gave me Form 1) with all the details in it.
--> I submitted the payment of $367.25 on RIV's website electronically
--> My inspection at Canadian Tire is scheduled tomorrow, where they'll let me know what modifications are required (for my vehicle, they indicated that no modifications may be needed).

What would be the next steps once I get the vehicle inspected at Canadian Tire? Do I need drivers license and Canadian Auto Insurance before I register the vehicle in Canada and get license plate?

I'd really appreciate any help/input on this.

Thank you
Ajeya Gupta
I would be surprised to hear that your US car does not require any modification, but if not - it's better/easier for you.

- In Ontario after you get your RIV inspection certificate ( you will get a compliance sticker by mail later) you would need to pass a Safety Inspection ( in many many locations for ~$80CND)
- Would need to get (exchange) your Canadian DL
- Would need to get Proof of Insurance ( cannot get one without Canadian DL and probably without Canadian address)

With these documents ( Vehicle Title (stamped or not by US export office) on your name, RIV Inspection, Safety Inspection, Proof of Insurance and Canadian DL) go to ServiceOntario location ( if in Ontario) and get your car registered and Canadian plated.

You will surrender your US Title and get Canadian Vehicle Registration Card ( green one in Ontario).

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
I would be surprised to hear that your US car does not require any modification, but if not - it's better/easier for you.

- In Ontario after you get your RIV inspection certificate ( you will get a compliance sticker by mail later) you would need to pass a Safety Inspection ( in many many locations for ~$80CND)
- Would need to get (exchange) your Canadian DL
- Would need to get Proof of Insurance ( cannot get one without Canadian DL and probably without Canadian address)

With these documents ( Vehicle Title (stamped or not by US export office) on your name, RIV Inspection, Safety Inspection, Proof of Insurance and Canadian DL) go to ServiceOntario location ( if in Ontario) and get your car registered and Canadian plated.

You will surrender your US Title and get Canadian Vehicle Registration Card ( green one in Ontario).
Thanks for your reply @Alex54321

Can I do RIV Inspection, Safety Inspection and Drivers License all in parallel? For Insurance, I understand that I'll need Drivers License and Canadian Residential Address.
--> Since, I aready have Michigan DL, it looks like I might just be able to exchange my MI DL for ON DL after eye test. Is my understanding right?
--> Talking about auto insurance, can you help me recommend an insurance company who might be able to give me reasonable quote? Is CAA the best available option?

Thank you

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Thanks for your reply @Alex54321

Can I do RIV Inspection, Safety Inspection and Drivers License all in parallel? For Insurance, I understand that I'll need Drivers License and Canadian Residential Address.
--> Since, I aready have Michigan DL, it looks like I might just be able to exchange my MI DL for ON DL after eye test. Is my understanding right?
--> Talking about auto insurance, can you help me recommend an insurance company who might be able to give me reasonable quote? Is CAA the best available option?

Thank you
Ok, my Michigan friend...

The RIV Inspection and Safety Inspection are two independent processes, but I did my Day Time Running Light re-programming at the local Mercedes dealer in Windsor, ON. With the same dealer I did Safety Inspection ( paid extra) since a couple of regular autoshops told me than they cannot inspect a luxury car. But, that's was me, usually they do it regardess luxury or not luxury. As I said after DTR light was done, I went back to Canadian Tire and got my RIV inspection done and certificate in a half of hour. Scanned that certificate and emailed a copy to RIV.ca , a few days later got my sticker from them in the mail.

Now about DL exchange. Yes, it's only eye test. Make sure your MI DL is older than 2 years old to exchange it to full ON DL. Mine MI DL was renewed less than two years before I went to DL exchange office and they wanted to see something to confirm my driving experience. They did not want to take in consideration a few of my previous expired MI DLs.

So, to get around I sent a form with request to get my DL extract/report/history (whatever call it) to MI Dep Of State (Customer Service Division- Record Lookup) in Lansing, MI.

Two benefits of doing that.
First, that lookup document showed the date I got my first MI DL ( in my case in summer 2002) - so, I satisfied DL exchange office with more than 2 years of driving experience to do exchange to Ontario, DL.
Secondly, these many years of driving experience (from lookup record) with additional information of no violations/alcohol related convictions, etc. ( clean DL history) and separate Verification of Insurance from Progressive ( my US insurance company) - allowed me to get a nice premium discount for Auto Insurance.
I use https://www.cooperators.ca/ for both Auto and Home Insurance. My Canadian realtor suggested them to get home insurance and later I asked them about Auto insurance as well. I do not know whether they are cheapest, do your home work.

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
Ok, my Michigan friend...

The RIV Inspection and Safety Inspection are two independent processes, but I did my Day Time Running Light re-programming at the local Mercedes dealer in Windsor, ON. With the same dealer I did Safety Inspection ( paid extra) since a couple of regular autoshops told me than they cannot inspect a luxury car. But, that's was me, usually they do it regardess luxury or not luxury. As I said after DTR light was done, I went back to Canadian Tire and got my RIV inspection done and certificate in a half of hour. Scanned that certificate and emailed a copy to RIV.ca , a few days later got my sticker from them in the mail.

Now about DL exchange. Yes, it's only eye test. Make sure your MI DL is older than 2 years old to exchange it to full ON DL. Mine MI DL was renewed less than two years before I went to DL exchange office and they wanted to see something to confirm my driving experience. They did not want to take in consideration a few of my previous expired MI DLs.

So, to get around I sent a form with request to get my DL extract/report/history (whatever call it) to MI Dep Of State (Customer Service Division- Record Lookup) in Lansing, MI.

Two benefits of doing that.
First, that lookup document showed the date I got my first MI DL ( in my case in summer 2002) - so, I satisfied DL exchange office with more than 2 years of driving experience to do exchange to Ontario, DL.
Secondly, these many years of driving experience (from lookup record) with additional information of no violations/alcohol related convictions, etc. ( clean DL history) and separate Verification of Insurance from Progressive ( my US insurance company) - allowed me to get a nice premium discount for Auto Insurance.
I use https://www.cooperators.ca/ for both Auto and Home Insurance. My Canadian realtor suggested them to get home insurance and later I asked them about Auto insurance as well. I do not know whether they are cheapest, do your home work.
Thanks @Alex54321 . This is very helpful. My current MI DL was also issues less than 2 years back. Hence, I'll also request for my drivers record history (sounds like its Form BDVR-154).

Finally, it looks like I will need to have the following to get ON license plate
1. ON Drivers License
2. ON Auto Insurance
3. RIV Inspection
4. Safety Inspection
5. Title/Vehicle Registration

Thank you
Ajeya

Reactions: Alex54321

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Do we need to complete the Safety inspection before going for RIV inspection?
No, the safety inspection is not related to import vehicle process to Canada. It's for future registration in Province.

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
No, the safety inspection is not related to import vehicle process to Canada. It's for future registration in Province.
@Alex54321 Wait, what is the difference between Importing vehicle to Canada and registration in the province? In my note above, I mentioned that I'd need the following documents:
1. ON Drivers License
2. ON Auto Insurance
3. RIV Inspection
4. Safety Inspection

These documents are only for vehicle registration, right? Importing vehicle is only related to getting Form 1 at the Canadian border, right?

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
@Alex54321 Wait, what is the difference between Importing vehicle to Canada and registration in the province? In my note above, I mentioned that I'd need the following documents:
1. ON Drivers License
2. ON Auto Insurance
3. RIV Inspection
4. Safety Inspection

These documents are only for vehicle registration, right? Importing vehicle is only related to getting Form 1 at the Canadian border, right?
You can Import vehicle to Canada ( Customs Form1 and RIV process). Canadian can buy the vehicle from local Canadian dealer. Right?

After that you can wrap and store your vehicle (your property) in your garage/parking lot without registration in Province. You cannot drive her, just keep her. Probably if you store her you still need at least "parking/garage" insurance.

If you want to register/plate your vehicle, whether it's imported or bougth in Canada you do registration process.
That process involve Safety Inspection Certificate and Proof of Insurance ( and having Canadian DL and vehicle Title in your case).

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
You can Import vehicle to Canada ( Customs Form1 and RIV process). Canadian can buy the vehicle from local Canadian dealer. Right?

After that you can wrap and store your vehicle (your property) in your garage/parking lot without registration in Province. You cannot drive her, just keep her. Probably if you store her you still need at least "parking/garage" insurance.

If you want to register/plate your vehicle, whether it's imported or bougth in Canada you do registration process.
That process involve Safety Inspection Certificate and Proof of Insurance ( and having Canadian DL and vehicle Title in your case).
Okay, understood and makes sense.

Till now, I have Form 1, and have completed RIV Inspection (no modifications required). With these two documents plus safety inspection certificate, Canadian DL and Auto Insurance, I'll register my vehicle in Canada and get ON's number plate.

This is clear now.

Thanks.