+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting a Vehicle from the U.S. and Importing into Canada: Complete Step-by-Step Guide

pseetha

Jan 1, 2018
I dont think there are rules that govern 'when should you officially import the vehicle'. However, keep in mind that you will need to give a solid reason as to why wouldn't you want to import your vehicle when you first cross the border.
Yes, I have reasons for why importing now vs when I first crossed. But due to COVID, is there any change/ restrictions?

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
Yes, I have reasons for why importing now vs when I first crossed. But due to COVID, is there any change/ restrictions?
Oh, you plan to import now (v/s 2019 when you first became PR)? If yes, then that's no problem. I first landed via border back in 2020. And I officially imported my vehicle now (in 2021).

joeskc

Feb 5, 2021
Reactions: pseetha

pseetha

Jan 1, 2018
@pseetha ... You can go thru my experience at the border when I entered on 31st March 2021. Check out "4. At the border" section. Hope it helps.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/experience-us-to-canada-by-car-with-houseplants-via-detroit-ambassador-bridge.727727/

Also, atleast in my case, the officer told me to get registration done in 45 days. Haven't verified that information on any government sites though.
thanks mate. This one was helpful

headingnorth

Star Member
Jun 4, 2018
HI All..

I am trying to import my vehicle. It was shipped form texas to Toronto, and i picked it up and have been driving for a few weeks now. I need to get the RIV process completed, So i paid the 367 CAD fees on the website, but it does not let me view or print it out yet. How long does it take for the inspection form to show up after fee payment.

Also, is the inspection done at canadian tire different from the safety inspection.....aren't canadian tire doing the safety inspection ?

Regards,

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
HI All..

I am trying to import my vehicle. It was shipped form texas to Toronto, and i picked it up and have been driving for a few weeks now. I need to get the RIV process completed, So i paid the 367 CAD fees on the website, but it does not let me view or print it out yet. How long does it take for the inspection form to show up after fee payment.

Also, is the inspection done at canadian tire different from the safety inspection.....aren't canadian tire doing the safety inspection ?

Regards,
Typically, Canadian Tire (who does RIV inspection) faxes the Inspection Approval document to RIV directly, after which RIV would send you a 'gray-ish' label to put on vehicle's driver side pillar. I got this label by mail ~2 weeks after RIV inspection.

I did my RIV inspection and Safety inspection (both) at Canadian Tire.

headingnorth

Star Member
Jun 4, 2018
THanks for your quick response. Canadian tire is saying they need the inspection form from RIV, so i paid the RIV fees and i am not sur how to generate the inspection form. do we have to submit the option1 form to riv or something ?

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
THanks for your quick response. Canadian tire is saying they need the inspection form from RIV, so i paid the RIV fees and i am not sur how to generate the inspection form. do we have to submit the option1 form to riv or something ?
When you imported your vehicle, CBSA should have given you Form 1. I think that is what Canadian Tire guys are asking you to get.

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
In addition to form1 they are also asking for the inspection form from RIV.
Honestly, I am not sure what exactly is inspection form. For my RIV inspection, I was asked to show Form 1 and vehicle registration from MI. Like I said, I received a sticker label in mail (after fee payment and RIV Inspection)

joeskc

Feb 5, 2021
Honestly, I am not sure what exactly is inspection form. For my RIV inspection, I was asked to show Form 1 and vehicle registration from MI. Like I said, I received a sticker label in mail (after fee payment and RIV Inspection)
@headingnorth
Its just a form that RIV generates once your case is processed. Go here - https://www.riv.ca/TrackYourCase.aspx . Enter your case number, thats the number on the Form 1 and your VIN. Hit Enter and then On top right, you can see the link to download the inspection form.

I just had my done today. It lists the modifications required and identified by Canadian Tire. In my case, there were none but my brake lights were out so had to get it fixed to get the Safety Check Certificate

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
@headingnorth
Its just a form that RIV generates once your case is processed. Go here - https://www.riv.ca/TrackYourCase.aspx . Enter your case number, thats the number on the Form 1 and your VIN. Hit Enter and then On top right, you can see the link to download the inspection form.

I just had my done today. It lists the modifications required and identified by Canadian Tire. In my case, there were none but my brake lights were out so had to get it fixed to get the Safety Check Certificate
Oh well, per your comment this form is generated after RIV inspection, right? Canadian Tire gave me this form physically as well (listing the necessary modifications for my vehicle, which was none). But the question was to generate inspection form before doing RIV inspection, which I am still not sure.

Thank you.

headingnorth

Star Member
Jun 4, 2018
thanks everyone.

Just to close out what i did:

1. Go to RIV website pay fees 360 CAD
2. Send email to these emails with: a. recall result b. form 1 that i got at the border c. payment proof (From 1)
support@support.riv.ca,
recall@support.riv.ca
3. after this my form was ready in a couple of hrs and was able to print out from https://www.riv.ca/TrackYourCase.aspx . Till 1 and 2 are done this form is not available
4. After this i printed the form and took it to Canadian Tire who then did the RIV inspection and safety inspection. And they gave me a safety certificate and Faxed the RIV the RIV form filled from point 3 and indicated "pass". Also gave me a copy.
5. I took the RIV form, FORM1, safety cerificate, proof of insurace, Drivers' License, Title to service ontario and get my car registered in Ontario.

joeskc

Feb 5, 2021
Oh well, per your comment this form is generated after RIV inspection, right? Canadian Tire gave me this form physically as well (listing the necessary modifications for my vehicle, which was none). But the question was to generate inspection form before doing RIV inspection, which I am still not sure.

Thank you.
I was trying to say exactly what @headingnorth has in #3.

For me, #5 is remaining as i am yet to setup my auto insurance.

incomingAbg

Aug 25, 2019
I have a temporary license and I am still waiting for the original license to be mailed at my address. My question is, am I eligible to register my vehicle with temporary license ?