+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

English school for new Immigrants in Montreal

AngloQuebec

Mar 26, 2020
Does this apply to study permit holders too? If I accept an offer from Bishop's Uni my kids (14,12,6) will be joining me in Quebec. Will they be only able to go to French public schools as well (unless we opt for private schooling)?
You in fact do qualify for English public schooling.

https://www.emsb.qc.ca/emsb/admissions/eligibility/temporary-residents

It would be best for you to contact the English Montreal School Board directly to get help in applying for a temporary certificate of eligibility. Keep in mind that your certificate is only valid for the duration of your study visa and your children will be forced to switch to French school if you apply for permanent residency in the future. There is a well known loophole for immigrants to get their children into the public English school system (after several years of private school) but you need to be a Canadian citizen to take advantage of them. The certificate you will receive is only temporary and is different from the permanent certificate granted to Canadian citizens who qualify and which can be passed down from generation to generation.

Reactions: wonderbly

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
That is incorrect information. Foreigners who are in Canada on student permits are classified as temporary residents. Unless they apply for permanent immigration, their children will be able to obtain a temporary certificate of eligibility valid for the duration of their study visa and go to both public English schools as well as private English schools which receive government subsidies (a big portion of them do).
Thank you so much for this! So what happens after I complete my study and I opt to apply for a PR, will my children then have to move to a french speaking school? I reckon it's best to get them started on French as soon as we move there as it's an added benefit anyways!

Side question: If i get my PGWP after my Master's, can I take employment in any province, or it has to be in Quebec?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
You in fact do qualify for English public schooling.

https://www.emsb.qc.ca/emsb/admissions/eligibility/temporary-residents

It would be best for you to contact the English Montreal School Board directly to get help in applying for a temporary certificate of eligibility. Keep in mind that your certificate is only valid for the duration of your study visa and your children will be forced to switch to French school if you apply for permanent residency in the future. There is a well known loophole for immigrants to get their children into the public English school system (after several years of private school) but you need to be a Canadian citizen to take advantage of them. The certificate you will receive is only temporary and is different from the permanent certificate granted to Canadian citizens who qualify and which can be passed down from generation to generation.
Thanks I see you already answered part of my last post (I'd posted before reading this :)).

kimman

Jun 4, 2014
Hi, I am planning to have my kids(12&15) study in high schools in Montreal. We are CSQ holders from HK. I was told that we have to go to private schools. Is there other choices? Kids are learning French in Alliance Francais HK but not at a standard to study in French public schools. Meanwhile, I was told students from public schools in Quebec are hardly get into universities.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, I am planning to have my kids(12&15) study in high schools in Montreal. We are CSQ holders from HK. I was told that we have to go to private schools. Is there other choices? Kids are learning French in Alliance Francais HK but not at a standard to study in French public schools. Meanwhile, I was told students from public schools in Quebec are hardly get into universities.
Two options: (1) pay for private school; (2) settle in a different province.

You can get an exception through a certificate of eligibility if you qualify. However based on the information you've provided so far, it doesn't sound like you do. Details are here:

http://www.education.gouv.qc.ca/en/parents-and-guardians/instruction-in-english/eligibility/#c1820

kimman

Jun 4, 2014
Two options: (1) pay for private school; (2) settle in a different province.

You can get an exception through a certificate of eligibility if you qualify. However based on the information you've provided so far, it doesn't sound like you do. Details are here:

http://www.education.gouv.qc.ca/en/parents-and-guardians/instruction-in-english/eligibility/#c1820
Thanks for prompt reply. You are right. Even though I am willing to pay international student tuitions for English public schools (which is cheaper than private), we are not eligible.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for prompt reply. You are right. Even though I am willing to pay international student tuitions for English public schools (which is cheaper than private), we are not eligible.
That's unfortunately correct.

Maybe someone else here can recommend something to you but I'm not aware of any workaround / exceptions, apart from those listed on the link I gave you above.

Reactions: kimman

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not sure where you got the figure about university attendence but that is incorrect. Graduates in Quebec are both attending French and English universities even if they studied in French. Only option is private English. At 12 years old your child can still make the switch. At 15 it will be tough so I would pay for private school if you can afford it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you. I’ve never thought of applying different schools for the two kids.
They would likely end up in different schools because one would be in middle school and the other in high school. Private schools tend to be smaller so if both were in private education they would likely be in the same school. All these decisions are really up to you knowing your financial situation. Children are quite resilient and learn languages quite easily. Schools are used to accomodating children moving to Canada with various levels of English or French and sometimes no English or French.

AngloQuebec

Mar 26, 2020
Keep in mind as well they your kids will only be able to attend the completely private English schools. Many private English schools receive subsidies from the government so they still require your children to have the certificate of eligibility. If you have concerns about the French public school system, you can always send your kids to a French private school. Many of them only charge about 5k a year in tuition. Meanwhile, the English private schools charge anywhere from 15k to 25k. The choice is up to you.

kimman

Jun 4, 2014
Keep in mind as well they your kids will only be able to attend the completely private English schools. Many private English schools receive subsidies from the government so they still require your children to have the certificate of eligibility. If you have concerns about the French public school system, you can always send your kids to a French private school. Many of them only charge about 5k a year in tuition. Meanwhile, the English private schools charge anywhere from 15k to 25k. The choice is up to you.
Is this tuition of 5k only eligible for Canadian PR ?
I have concern with the public schools because I was told the graduation rate is relatively low (~50%?) compared to private schools. Meanwhile, kids have to attend CEGEPS which is another challenge as there are not many anglo-francophone CEGEPS. Furthermore, there are only three English universities in Quebec (pls correct if I'm wrong).
It is not as easy as we had expected to enjoy the low/free tuition fees for immigrating to QC.

Anyway, thanks for your information. At least I know there are less pricey options.

kimman

Jun 4, 2014
They would likely end up in different schools because one would be in middle school and the other in high school. Private schools tend to be smaller so if both were in private education they would likely be in the same school. All these decisions are really up to you knowing your financial situation. Children are quite resilient and learn languages quite easily. Schools are used to accomodating children moving to Canada with various levels of English or French and sometimes no English or French.
Thanks for your reply.
I would like to ask, without PR status, can we apply for the French public/private schools? We are planning to apply with the status of international student. When I search to apply high schools in Quebec, it pop up the EMSB page and the information related to English Eligibility (which we have no hope to get it).

AngloQuebec

Mar 26, 2020
Is this tuition of 5k only eligible for Canadian PR ?
I have concern with the public schools because I was told the graduation rate is relatively low (~50%?) compared to private schools. Meanwhile, kids have to attend CEGEPS which is another challenge as there are not many anglo-francophone CEGEPS. Furthermore, there are only three English universities in Quebec (pls correct if I'm wrong).
It is not as easy as we had expected to enjoy the low/free tuition fees for immigrating to QC.

Anyway, thanks for your information. At least I know there are less pricey options.
I am fairly certain if you are a resident in Quebec, you only need to pay local tuition. International tuition only applies to students who come here on study permits (in which case, you could even pay to attend the public English schools like you previously mentioned). For CEGEPs, there are at least three public English ones in Montréal and one (subsidized) private English CEGEP. Bill 101 does not apply to CEGEPs so your children would be able to attend any of them. For universities, you have McGill and Concordia in Montréal and Bishop in Sherbrooke. Local tuition is dirt cheap...about 5k a year for most majors. I think you will enjoy your time here in Montréal. Don’t be put off by the French culture, it is what makes this city unique.

One more thing about English private schools. If you are only looking for a decent English education, you should stick to the more affordable 15k a year schools. The 25k a year schools are mostly in Westmount and cater to a wealthy clientele, many of whom already have access to public English schools but want their kids to attend private schools since they can afford it.

AngloQuebec

Mar 26, 2020
Thanks for your reply.
I would like to ask, without PR status, can we apply for the French public/private schools? We are planning to apply with the status of international student. When I search to apply high schools in Quebec, it pop up the EMSB page and the information related to English Eligibility (which we have no hope to get it).
If you are a CSQ holder, you would be considered a local resident. Public French school would be free for you and private ones would be quite affordable (5k a year is the norm). The government gives private schools another 5k per student in subsidies so you will actually be getting a 10k a year education.