+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

English school for new Immigrants in Montreal

AngloQuebec

Mar 26, 2020
Does this apply to study permit holders too? If I accept an offer from Bishop's Uni my kids (14,12,6) will be joining me in Quebec. Will they be only able to go to French public schools as well (unless we opt for private schooling)?
You in fact do qualify for English public schooling.

https://www.emsb.qc.ca/emsb/admissions/eligibility/temporary-residents

It would be best for you to contact the English Montreal School Board directly to get help in applying for a temporary certificate of eligibility. Keep in mind that your certificate is only valid for the duration of your study visa and your children will be forced to switch to French school if you apply for permanent residency in the future. There is a well known loophole for immigrants to get their children into the public English school system (after several years of private school) but you need to be a Canadian citizen to take advantage of them. The certificate you will receive is only temporary and is different from the permanent certificate granted to Canadian citizens who qualify and which can be passed down from generation to generation.

Reactions: wonderbly

wonderbly

Star Member
Aug 26, 2020
That is incorrect information. Foreigners who are in Canada on student permits are classified as temporary residents. Unless they apply for permanent immigration, their children will be able to obtain a temporary certificate of eligibility valid for the duration of their study visa and go to both public English schools as well as private English schools which receive government subsidies (a big portion of them do).
Thank you so much for this! So what happens after I complete my study and I opt to apply for a PR, will my children then have to move to a french speaking school? I reckon it's best to get them started on French as soon as we move there as it's an added benefit anyways!

Side question: If i get my PGWP after my Master's, can I take employment in any province, or it has to be in Quebec?

wonderbly

Star Member
Aug 26, 2020
You in fact do qualify for English public schooling.

https://www.emsb.qc.ca/emsb/admissions/eligibility/temporary-residents

It would be best for you to contact the English Montreal School Board directly to get help in applying for a temporary certificate of eligibility. Keep in mind that your certificate is only valid for the duration of your study visa and your children will be forced to switch to French school if you apply for permanent residency in the future. There is a well known loophole for immigrants to get their children into the public English school system (after several years of private school) but you need to be a Canadian citizen to take advantage of them. The certificate you will receive is only temporary and is different from the permanent certificate granted to Canadian citizens who qualify and which can be passed down from generation to generation.
Thanks I see you already answered part of my last post (I'd posted before reading this :)).