effects of working off-campus more than 20 hours on PR and other thing

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
An excerpt from the university's website:
  • How many hours can I work?
    • 20 hours a week during regular academic sessions (Fall and Winter terms)
    • Full-time during scheduled breaks - UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS ONLY.
    • MOST GRADUATE STUDENTS ARE ENROLLED FULL-TIME ALL YEAR LONG and such may only work 20 hours/week off-campus all year (January through December). This includes course-based Master's students as well.
  • NOTE: It is your responsibility to ensure you are in compliance with these regulations. Should you work over the amount of hours allowed, this may result in an investigation by IRCC. The University of Calgary is required to report on the enrolment status of all international students. If you are classified as full-time and you are also working full-time off campus, this may result in serious negative repercussions for you.
Yes, then you can't work full time. The university is saying that you do NOT have a scheduled break and therefore you will be violating the conditions of your study permit. This can have serious consequences for any future immigration applications.

Last edited:

Avtar_15

Star Member
Jul 29, 2018
India
Category........
Thanks for your reply..
I got merit scholarship for my result... and now it is summer and I don't have any course.
I am just thinking to continue the work after the summer vacation ends.. this is the reason I am asking that question.
Can you elaborate how it will effect on immigration process?
Thanks again
Your PGWP will be rejected if you work more than 20 hours a week. Reaching to PR is a different scenario. I have seen people's with rejected PGWP due to the same issue.

Evankc

Dec 13, 2018
Your PGWP will be rejected if you work more than 20 hours a week. Reaching to PR is a different scenario. I have seen people's with rejected PGWP due to the same issue.

All i know is that averange of international student work more than the 20hrs in other to survive and to be able to support there school fee to avoid drop out . Well it's illegal but at the same time when you get to the end there are always a way out

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
All i know is that averange of international student work more than the 20hrs in other to survive and to be able to support there school fee to avoid drop out . Well it's illegal but at the same time when you get to the end there are always a way out
Not recommended. There's not "always a way out". Doing things like working illegally can lead to getting deported years later if they find out. Even after you get PR or citizenship this can come back to haunt you.

Of course, if no one finds out that you did something illegal, you can get away with it. If the choice is between starving to death or working illegally, sure, I can understand choosing to live and dealing with any consequences later - at least you're alive to deal with things.

However, if you're able to live with 20 hours of work, it's always better to stay on the right side of immigration law. Remember that as a foreign national you don't have the same rights as a PR or a citizen and can get deported real quick if CBSA doesn't like something you did.

Even if you're willing to work illegally, the company that you're working for may be following the law and reporting your earnings to the CRA - which means they can catch you later. They may take your student permit at face value and assume that you have the right to work - it's your responsibility, not theirs.

The only real way is to work completely off the books, get paid in cash and make sure there are no records anywhere. If you're working like this, you're most definitely not getting paid minimum wage.. you could probably make the same amount of money working 20 hours at a Tim Horton's as you can getting paid $5 an hour for 40 hours a week.

Just something to think about.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avtar_15 and Evankc

Avtar_15

Star Member
Jul 29, 2018
India
Category........
No one does that atleast not legally. People who works more than 20 hours usually works on cash jobs, which is illegal.

Reactions: Evankc

Avtar_15

Star Member
Jul 29, 2018
India
Category........
Not recommended. There's not "always a way out". Doing things like working illegally can lead to getting deported years later if they find out. Even after you get PR or citizenship this can come back to haunt you.

Of course, if no one finds out that you did something illegal, you can get away with it. If the choice is between starving to death or working illegally, sure, I can understand choosing to live and dealing with any consequences later - at least you're alive to deal with things.

However, if you're able to live with 20 hours of work, it's always better to stay on the right side of immigration law. Remember that as a foreign national you don't have the same rights as a PR or a citizen and get deported real quick if CBSA doesn't like something you did.

Even if you're willing to work illegally, the company that you're working for may be following the law and reporting your earnings to the CRA - which means they can catch you later. They may take your student permit at face value and assume that you have the right to work - it's your responsibility, not theirs.

The only real way is to work completely off the books, get paid in cash and make sure there are no records anywhere. If you're working like this, you're most definitely not getting paid minimum wage.. you could probably make the same amount of money working 20 hours at a Tim Horton's as you can getting paid $5 an hour for 40 hours a week.

Hello,
please help this guy out.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/post-graduate-work-permit.625682/#post-7817615

Reactions: Evankc

Evankc

Dec 13, 2018
No one does that atleast not legally. People who works more than 20 hours usually works on cash jobs, which is illegal.

Okay am just saying for those who have already cross the line and maybe some how because i believe there is always a solution to any problem or less if someone reported such one that is where it will be difficult to escape

Jan 22, 2019

However, if you're able to live with 20 hours of work, it's always better to stay on the right side of immigration law. Remember that as a foreign national you don't have the same rights as a PR or a citizen and can get deported real quick if CBSA doesn't like something you did.

~SNITCH LINE~.people are not always your friend. Relationships change over time. friends are now enemies..etc
~makes it easy for CIC to investigate the allegations as oppose to when they do random checks

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
~SNITCH LINE~.people are not always your friend. Relationships change over time. friends are now enemies..etc
~makes it easy for CIC to investigate the allegations as oppose to when they do random checks
Don't forget a colleague who could report you. Not everyone is supportive of immigration, especially when people abuse the system.

suji22

Dec 14, 2018
Not recommended. There's not "always a way out". Doing things like working illegally can lead to getting deported years later if they find out. Even after you get PR or citizenship this can come back to haunt you.. If the choice is between starving to death or working illegally, sure, I can understand choosing to live and dealing with any consequences later - at least you're alive to deal with things.

international students can live off 20hrs a week employment during school and fulltime during breaks by BUDGETING. The students who cannot make it tend to be the ones who are always partying.drinking liquor. eating fast foods. wearing designer fashions and latest electronic gadgets. the same ones who constantly borrow money and never repay it back. they cant pay their rent and are the same ones who resort to tricks in order not to pay rent.

Ehhsian

Jun 8, 2019
Hi!

I know that working more than 20hrs off campus is illegal. But what about working on and off campus simultaneously? Like for example, I could work 20 hrs off campus and then work on campus for 10 hrs making it a total of 30 hours a week. Will it affect my application for PR or my study permit?

Thank you.

Last edited:

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hi!

I know that working 20hrs off campus is illegal. But what about working on and off campus simultaneously? Like for example, I could work 20 hrs off campus and then work on campus for 10 hrs making it a total of 30 hours a week. Will it affect my application for PR or my study permit?

Thank you.
Working on campus in addition to working off campus
There are no restrictions on the number of hours students can work on campus [as per R186(f)] in addition to working off campus, provided they continue to meet the applicable eligibility requirements.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html

Reactions: Ehhsian

Ehhsian

Jun 8, 2019
Working on campus in addition to working off campus
There are no restrictions on the number of hours students can work on campus [as per R186(f)] in addition to working off campus, provided they continue to meet the applicable eligibility requirements.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html
Thank you.

I just wanted to make sure of this since my friend and I were discussing this and he told me that working, whether on or off campus or both simultaneously, would still be limited to only 20 hrs/week.

Nick2019

Mar 11, 2019
Hi everyone,

I have a question. I have completed the studies in April but gonna take another program in September.
Is it legal to work full-time during the summer break?

Thanks in advance!

gengen

May 28, 2019
Hi everyone,

I have a question. I have completed the studies in April but gonna take another program in September.
Is it legal to work full-time during the summer break?

Thanks in advance!
Im thinking no.only.if you applied for your pgwp then u could work. But since you are starting a new program in sept you cant work until start of new program.
When i arrived in August 18/ the VO said i cannot work until sep5 when my program started.