+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

effects of working off-campus more than 20 hours on PR and other thing

Marina2802

Sep 12, 2019
Hi guys,
I am asking for your help. I have a friend who is desperate and he doesn't want to ask for helping but at least I want to give him a hand. He was working part time in cleaning. The guy who hired him after the first week exploted him so much. He made a deal with this guy for not having trouble with payments. The deal was he would receive the 20 hours of payment even if he had to stay more than 20 hours per week. He trusted him but he was paying him less than 20 hours when he complained this guy payed him 2 weeks 42.5 hours and other 2 weeks 44 hours. He after that quit and stoped working again. He wants to hire a lawyer but he doesn't have enough money. He is in the internship now and He is very depressed. My question is even if he stopped working, would he have problems when applying for the PGWP and PR?
Thanks in advance for your help.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Hi guys,
I am asking for your help. I have a friend who is desperate and he doesn't want to ask for helping but at least I want to give him a hand. He was working part time in cleaning. The guy who hired him after the first week exploted him so much. He made a deal with this guy for not having trouble with payments. The deal was he would receive the 20 hours of payment even if he had to stay more than 20 hours per week. He trusted him but he was paying him less than 20 hours when he complained this guy payed him 2 weeks 42.5 hours and other 2 weeks 44 hours. He after that quit and stoped working again. He wants to hire a lawyer but he doesn't have enough money. He is in the internship now and He is very depressed. My question is even if he stopped working, would he have problems when applying for the PGWP and PR?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Unlikely, they wouldnt know about those extra hours.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Hi everyone,

I have a question. I have completed the studies in April but gonna take another program in September.
Is it legal to work full-time during the summer break?

Thanks in advance!
You can work as long as you already have acceptance from the next program i.e LOA and update your dli in myCIC account if its a different school. It is same as being on an official break.

suriben

Sep 6, 2019
NOT likely to have any trouble. Immigration dont have direct access to the amount of hours someone worked.
Bank statement is not required for PGWP.
How can this be correct?there have been many students denied pgwp because they worked over hours allowed. Many experts warn students not to bcaz it can have an impact on pgwp.
They dont asked for paystubs..but how do they know?.Then* maybe *they check on student hours through their SIN.and requesting student employer for hours???

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
How can this be correct?there have been many students denied pgwp because they worked over hours allowed. Many experts warn students not to bcaz it can have an impact on pgwp.
They dont asked for paystubs..but how do they know?.Then* maybe *they check on student hours through their SIN.and requesting student employer for hours???
Where have you seen these many students? I think you might be confusing working when not allowed and working too many hours, working when not allowed is obvious from the dates you put in the form, hours they dont know.

suriben

Sep 6, 2019
Where have you seen these many students? I think you might be confusing working when not allowed and working too many hours, working when not allowed is obvious from the dates you put in the form, hours they dont know.
Yes honestly im confused.maybe im mixing up rules..can you please explain then why they are so strict about only working 20hrs during class sessions if they cant tell the hours..i do know 2guys who were denied pgwp for working too many hours during school session..they had their permit cancelled and left canada.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Yes honestly im confused.maybe im mixing up rules..can you please explain then why they are so strict about only working 20hrs during class sessions if they cant tell the hours..i do know 2guys who were denied pgwp for working too many hours during school session..they had their permit cancelled and left canada.
You are not allowed to work more than 20 hours a week. They can find out the hours if they really want to.

1. You work 20 hours a week and get paid for 20 hours a week. Your employer pays payroll taxes so he accurately reports the payments to CRA. Everything is fine.

2. You work 40 hours a week. The employer shows that you only work 20 hours and pays you the rest in cash. This is essentially fraud, but you can get away with it for a while but at some point it will catch up to you. If IRCC gets suspicious, they can call your employer, or start investigating more deeply. Eventually, they catch you, and you get deported. Sure, some people get away with it, but that doesn't mean that it's right.

3. You work 40 hours a week, and your employer shows that you work 40 hours a week. This is easy to catch.

So yes, if you do work illegally, you can get away with it for a while, perhaps even years. But when you get caught, the consequences are severe (deportation, banned for five years or a lifetime, etc.). It's the same as every law - they cannot catch everyone who drives drunk, but the ones they do catch are punished severely enough that most people don't care to risk it.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
I mean its the law so they have to be strict with it. But you have to think through how exactly your friends were caught was there something about their study progress that caused suspicion? Also some people only realize this rule when applying for PGWP and start admitting things in their application. I AM NOT SUGGESTING THIS IS A GOOD IDEA just that the person I replied to probably shouldn't worry too much.

Marina2802

Sep 12, 2019
I mean its the law so they have to be strict with it. But you have to think through how exactly your friends were caught was there something about their study progress that caused suspicion? Also some people only realize this rule when applying for PGWP and start admitting things in their application. I AM NOT SUGGESTING THIS IS A GOOD IDEA just that the person I replied to probably shouldn't worry too much.
Thanks so much all of you guys for your replies!. I showed this to my friend and he is more calm because he really wants to stay legally. I think perhaps the fact that he stops working since that time and he never passed 25 hours per week will help him to explain what happened and make a life here. Also I advised him that he should hire a lawyer for asking and be ready.

felgorman

Nov 7, 2019
I graduated in August and my study permit expired in August as well. the problem is one of my profs submitted the grade late so I couldn't get a letter of graduation from school to apply for PGWP. I had to extend my study permit before it expired. I received my study permit end of October and I applied for PGWP in November but I worked full-time in October. Would I get in trouble just because of that? I was thinking since it's not an academic session, we are allowed to work full-time.

Kay2018

Jan 11, 2018
Newfoundland and Labrador
Category........
WP
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
09-03-2021
Dear Ola1974, Suryak86, Scylla and others,

I did not know about this until today when I read your posts. I stupidly worked full-time during my last semester (September-December, 2014). I received graduation letter from my university late February 2015. I have a valid study permit and a valid co-op work permit. I am still working full time now for the same company and I am now thinking about applying for my PGWP.

I would very much appreciate it if you could please advise me what I could do to correct this situation due to my stupidity and honest mistake. What is the chances of getting my PGWP? I am really worried. Please help.

Thank you very much in advance.
Hey I see this is an old post and would like to know where you are at right now.
I also worked full time on my co-op work permit. I didn't know we are not allowed to do so. I was so confident about having a CO-OP work permit and continues to work. Now I'm on implied status and have applied for PGWP. Really worried about what might happen.