+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effective date of Bill C24

bananaman

Jan 28, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well we are well into east coast business hours on June 1st, and no change on the CIC website... my application is completed, fees paid, and the application will be on it's way to CIC within the hour, with 1100 days of physical presence. Here's hoping there's no funny business before it's received and accepted.

Best of luck to all other June applicants.

janoo

May 16, 2014
Congratulation for submitting your citizenship application hope for the best and
all will be well....

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
bananaman said:
Well we are well into east coast business hours on June 1st, and no change on the CIC website... my application is completed, fees paid, and the application will be on it's way to CIC within the hour, with 1100 days of physical presence. Here's hoping there's no funny business before it's received and accepted.

Congratulations !! And wellcom to Canada.
Relax don't you worry. Check your papers twice before you send them, and be sure the 4/6 rule will NOT BE. Before July 1st 2015. All the June applicants are fine.

bananaman

Jan 28, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
janoo said:
Congratulation for submitting your citizenship application hope for the best and
all will be well....
ari5323 said:
Congratulations !! And wellcom to Canada.
Relax don't you worry. Check your papers twice before you send them, and be sure the 4/6 rule will NOT BE. Before July 1st 2015. All the June applicants are fine.
Thanks for your well wishes, and I hope you're right!

(I checked my application what feels like a million times, and had my wife go over it a few times too... all that's left is hope that CIC look over it kindly)

Bigudi

May 22, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-07-2015
LANDED..........
08-08-2011
So... I am guessing we have absolutely no news about the enforcing of C-24, right?

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
Hello friends,
and a special Hello to Mr MUFC and Mr DPENABILL
It was my pleasure hanging around here with you guys, I learned a lot about the bill c 24 I can say that you guys showed much more knowledge than lawyers.
I think its time to say goodbye, I just got an email from FedEx conforming my file has arrived to CIC office.
I am now at the May-June tracking forum.
I wish you all , my fellow friends to be able to apply with the 3/4 rule.
your friend,
Ari

kanwar_2015

Apr 23, 2015
bananaman said:

Congrats....

Alias

Star Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hello,

question for you guys as I am bit confused. Can we sign the form on the day we complete the physical residence of 1095 days and send it through courier? or we have to sign on the 1096th day so we have completed 1095 days of residence?

Please advise

Thanks,

Abkssh

Jan 24, 2015
Hi All,
As per the residency calculator, I will eligible to apply on June 19, 2015 and I landed on June 19, 2012. Can you please advice on when I can sign the application is it on June 19 or June 20? Do you think that I will be safe to apply as per the old rule 3 of 4?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Alias said:
Hello,

question for you guys as I am bit confused. Can we sign the form on the day we complete the physical residence of 1095 days and send it through courier? or we have to sign on the 1096th day so we have completed 1095 days of residence?

Please advise

Thanks,
You have to sign the application on the 1096th day. The day after you completed the 1095 day requirement. That include the online residency calculator as well.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Abkssh said:
Hi All,
As per the residency calculator, I will eligible to apply on June 19, 2015 and I landed on June 19, 2012. Can you please advice on when I can sign the application is it on June 19 or June 20? Do you think that I will be safe to apply as per the old rule 3 of 4?
You complete and sign the application on June 20th. The day after you reach 1095 days in Canada.

Abkssh

Jan 24, 2015
screech339 said:
You complete and sign the application on June 20th. The day after you reach 1095 days in Canada.
But the calculator says that I am eligible to apply on June 19 so do you think that I can sign it at the same day as per the calculator?

essy86

Star Member
Oct 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O / Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2011
AOR Received.
September 2011
File Transfer...
May 2012
Passport Req..
Feb 2013
VISA ISSUED...
March 2013
LANDED..........
March 2013
I know the call centre is not very reliable, but I called them regarding my situation today and the guy told me the new law is coming into force on June 19th, and kept asking me to "monitor the situation".

I became eligible today, but I'm going to give it another week as I had a few trips abroad. I asked the call centre if anything would happen within a week, and he reassured me that nothing is going to happen by June 19th.

Certainly not a reliable source, but it's reassuring in my case. Thought I can share this information with you guys!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Abkssh said:
But the calculator says that I am eligible to apply on June 19 so do you think that I can sign it at the same day as per the calculator?
The applicant must be qualified at the least a day before the date the application is signed.

If the residency calculator shows a PR meets the 1095 days of physical presence standard as of June 19, the application should not be signed and dated until June 20th at the earliest.

In other words, for someone who is not eligible until June 19th, that means the earliest the application can be signed is June 20th.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
essy86 said:
I know the call centre is not very reliable, but I called them regarding my situation today and the guy told me the new law is coming into force on June 19th, and kept asking me to "monitor the situation".

I became eligible today, but I'm going to give it another week as I had a few trips abroad. I asked the call centre if anything would happen within a week, and he reassured me that nothing is going to happen by June 19th.

Certainly not a reliable source, but it's reassuring in my case. Thought I can share this information with you guys!
You could apply as soon as tomorrow (not today, since you just became eligible today, and as noted above the applicant must be qualified as of the day before the application is made) . . . and indeed, you are among those for whom the looming coming-into-force date really matters. A week's buffer is probably a good idea. Odds are probably good the effective date will not be this week or even next week . . . but we really do not know what the date will be.

In terms of watching the weather build on the horizon; good news versus bad news:

The Good News for those still on the cusp, and hoping to apply before the revised requirements take effect, is that today was not the day . . . we still do not know what the relevant coming-into-force date will be.

The Bad News is how poorly this government keeps its information updated. And because of this, there is an increased likihood the effective date will arrive with no advance notice as to what it will be precisely . . . unless the most recent Order from the Governor in Council specifies future dates for these provisions to come into force (in which case, we would learn those dates when the Order is published).

The Parliamentary Business web page for Bill C-24 is now updated and purports to be "current as of June 1, 2015," and there is no hint at this web page that the Governor in Council has made an Order fixing the date that section 8 of the SCCA (replacing section 10 in the Citizenship Act) comes into force.

In contrast, as referenced and linked extensively here, CIC's news and, more specifically its Program Delivery Instructions, indicate that Section 8 of the SCCA came into force last Friday, May 29, 2015.

Both cannot be accurate.

The most likely explanation is that the Parliamentary Business update is dependent on the formal and official publication of the Governor in Council's Order, which will be published in the Gazette, and which has not been published as yet. That is, that the CIC web site is accurate and the Parliamentary Business web site will not be updated to reflect this until the Order is published in the Gazette.

And I am now suspecting the same might be true for the Privy Council Office database, that it too might not be populated with the Order made by Governor in Council until the Order is officially published in the Gazette, although it might be reflected in the Privy Council Office database first (since the Privy Council Office must approve the Order to be published in the Gazette).

While the Gazette may publish an extra issue of Part II tomorrow, the most likely scenario is that Wednesday the Regular issue of Part II will be the next one published. I had assumed that an Order such as this would be published promptly after it is made, and thus assumed it should be published in the next regularly issued Part II of the Gazette if not published sooner in an extra issue.

But hold the horses.

First, there is a general deadline of six-days, business days, for publication in the Gazette. We do not know what day the Governor in Council made the order fixing May 29, 2015 as the date certain provisions of the SCCA came into force. If it was later than Tuesday last week, for example, it might not make it into this Wednesday's regular issue of Part II at all . . . putting it off at least potentially until June 17.

Moreover, the process for publishing official regulations and orders by the Governor in Council is not all that clear to me . . . the Privy Council Office must prepare the Order to be submitted but it appears it may also have to be approved by the Treasury Board. I am not familiar with timeline requirements for this relative to the valid implementation of the subject of such Orders. It appears possible this could delay publication of the Order further.

My sense, just a sense, is that the Order by the Governor in Council will address provisions other than section 8 in the SCCA, but this is far from certain.

I was hoping, and to a significant extent expecting, to see the Order within the next few days. I am less confident of this now, and indeed merely hopeful we see it soon, and particularly hopeful we see it at the latest by June 17th.

Overall, however, this process and how it has been implemented by this government, is further illustration of the extent to which this government (Harper's government) operates behind the curtains, with minimal transparency, and will proceed to implement even major changes in law with only the minimal amount of notice to the public.