+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effective date of Bill C24

buddhaB

Star Member
Apr 15, 2015
vathan said:
CHANGES TO THE CANADIAN CITIZENSHIP ACT – Bill C-24 - See more at: http://www.toptipsclub.com/blog/immigration-citizenship/changes-to-the-canadian-citizenship-act-bill-c-24/#sthash.LvCLtydu.dpuf

http://www.toptipsclub.com/blog/immigration-citizenship/changes-to-the-canadian-citizenship-act-bill-c-24/
The website is not an official information source;therefore the dates and information it provides are not reliable

The new residency law is not in effect yet.

So,when the new residency law kicks in,the CIC will have 2 years to reduce the backlog.During those years,they will not accept any new applications.Smart move man.Very sneaky.Really good way to play with people.First they say hey! everything will be better with this law.Then it turns out to be a big BS.This is what they planned to do.Not actually by working harder,processing faster,reducing the processing time.What a dishonest government

Some people still believe oh the CIC is going to fix the immigration system,everything will be better in Canada.

Tables turn sooner or later brother.Just wait.

I would like to hear somebody`s opinion and how they accept losing either time or money with the new residency law.

Mike had sent his application 1 day before the new residency law kicked in and he paid $630.Richard was going to send his application but due to the new residency law he`ll have to wait 2 more years to send his application in.He also pays $630.

So in this case there is an unfairness to Richard.What is his fault? he is not a felon,he never left canada like Mike and filed taxes every year. he has to wait extra 2 years + still paying the same fee?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
sjakub said:
I have a technical, not a speculation type of question ;-)

Does anybody know, where the effective date will be officially announced?
Will it be in "Canada Gazette", or can it be officially announced somewhere else?
Overall:

In addition to the CIC website itself, the primary online sources to follow are:

(1) the search page for the "Orders in Council Database" (proably will be the first to publicly disclose the date unless CIC posts prospective information prior to the Order itself being made)

(2) the "coming into force" information for Bill C-24 at the Parliament website (no known pattern for updates although it appears it is usually updated at least weekly, although recently there was nearly a two week gap in the updating)

(3) the Gazette, which will be the only official publishing of the Governor in Council Order fixing the date the revised requirements come into force; however, there is no guarantee that will take place in advance of the coming-into-force date itself, and indeed the Gazette might not publish the Order until AFTER the date itself . . . up to two weeks or so later potentially.

(4) various news media sources; these would not (should not) be hearsay, but rather should be reporting based on reliable sources regarding information which can be substantiated (thus not hearsay); however, given that the coming-into-force date is an administrative act, it may not be considered news and not given much if any coverage in major media sources

(5) various organizational pages online, such as those for the Canadian Bar Association Immigration section or the the Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultants (CAPIC-ACCPI), although these sites do not exhaustively publish such information and it appears the latter, in particular, is largely a resource linking to other web-based publications (so, for example, any "news" posted there should be readily found at a more primary source); again, if the information is published at these sites it will NOT be hearsay but should be based on reliable sources regarding information which can be substantiated (note: while the CAPIC news page, for example, is not exhaustive, meaning not all relevant news gets published or linked, and tends to contain only information already published elsewhere, since it collects a range of information and stories relevant to immigration and citizenship, it is one of the better sources to periodically check for news . . . so, for example, for someone who wants to spend minimal time checking sources, this is a one-stop source which probably will post information about the effective date as timely as any.)

(6) the Justice Laws website for the Citizenship Act which will also be promptly updated to reflect provisions of the SCCA coming into force, but probably not so quickly as any of the above; while this site is NOT official it is more authoritative than the CIC information and news web pages; similary, the Justice Laws website for the Citizenship Regulations will also be promptly updated when the respective regulations implementing changes derived from the respective provisions in the SCCA come into force

I have listed the above in the order which I think are most likely to be the most timely sources for reliably publicizing the precise date the revised requirements will come into force. The search page for the "Orders in Council Database" is listed first but it is not particularly convenient since search parameters must be entered and a search conducted. It is a simple search, requiring only the keyword "citizenship" and checking the "yes" box for coming into force, in addtion to entering date criteria, but that does entail a number of keystrokes and there is no direct link (that I can discern).

While I have listed the sources in the order which I rank them as most likely to be the first to publicly display the effective date, I do not know for sure which of the first three it will be (so, for example, I periodically check all three) . . . and CIC itself may publish more precise information, perhaps even the precise date itself, in advance of the Governor in Council's formal, official Order (in which case, CIC will be the first).

Leading to . . .

Regarding the CIC web site in particular:

I separate the CIC web site because it could, potentially, be the very first source of a reliable reference to the actual date the revised requirements take effect.

Thus, regarding CIC in particular, it is worth noting that CIC may (no guarantee) post information as to the precise date the revised requirements will take effect in advance of the date the requirements take effect. This may or may not be posted as "news," or in the web pages containing information about applying for citizenship. Moreover, CIC could post more detailed information prospectively, perhaps even the precise date, before the Governor in Council makes the official order fixing the date.

However, CIC might not post any information about the effective date until after one or more of the sources referred to in (1) to (3), in my list above, have already published the Order itself. Indeed, CIC might not publish further information about the effective date until the date itself.

It is difficult to predict how CIC will proceed in publicizing information about the implementation of the revised requirements. Some individuals here purport to know far more than they do know and are speculating without acknowledging it is speculation . . . for example, assurances that the effective date will not be prior to July 1st is nonetheless still speculation (even though this is quite likely true) . . . oddly enough while dismissing other reliable sources as speculation.

In particular, as unlikely as it seems (because of practical considerations) that CIC will not post any further information about the effective date until the date itself, fixing the coming-into-force date and implementing these changes is an ADMINISTRATIVE action for which, at this stage, no further notice is legally required.

Will there even be advance notice of the precise date?

We do not know for sure. Probably is what many if not most of us think. How much is totally speculative.

Legally, no further notice is required. Practically there are a number of considerations suggesting the likelihood of some advance notice.

However, it safe to say that there will be some advance notice of the precise date ONLY IF:

-- CIC elects to provide advance notice, although none is required, or

-- the Governor in Council makes the Order more than a day in advance of the date fixed in the Order

It is the latter scenario which invites many of us to periodically check the sources I listed above, watching for the publication of the Governor in Council's Order actually fixing the date.

sjakub said:
Does that mean that the announcement will happen on Saturday (when the gazette is published)?

I already met my physical residency requirements but I am debating if I should apply at the end of this week,
or have some more "buffer days" and apply next week - but risking that there will be announcement on Saturday
making June 1st the effective date...
bananaman said:
I'm in the same boat as you. I hit 1095 days tomorrow, and my application is ready to go. I am leaning towards waiting until June 1st for some buffer, but will be a nerve-racking couple of weeks if I do. I'm on the west coast so if I want it there this week it really has to go tomorrow.

Decision time, to buffer or not to buffer....

:-\
These queries are commonly made and far more commonly being contemplated by many, many other PRs in similar scenarios.

There is no reliable advice available. The decision about when to submit an application is very personal, and very much dependent on a wide, wide range of additional factors specific to each individual.

Trying to calculate the risks, let alone balance competing risks, in the absence of concrete information is extremely difficult in the best, most well-defined scenario, but entirely impossible in the abstract. There is no general rule or guideline (not even relative to the value of a buffer).

Regarding publication in the Gazette: Part II of the Gazette (which will officially publish the Governor in General's Order fixing the coming-into-force date) can be published almost any day of the month, even though it is routinely published alternating Wednesdays.

That said, the official publication in the Gazette can occur two weeks, or even a bit longer (depending on when it is submitted for publication), AFTER the Order is issued. In contrast, the coming-into-force date can be fixed as the very next day following the making of the Order. So publication in the Gazette itself could occur two weeks or more after the actual coming-into-force date. NOT to worry. Or, that is, not to worry too much. At the very least, the CIC web site page for the citizenship application will reflect the change no later than the day it takes effect and seems likely to indicate the change at least some days prior to that.

Otherwise, see above outline of sources and their relationship to the coming-into-force date.

MUFC said:
Don't worry there will be a final notice before the actual cut off date. It will not happen suddenly and I'm sure that the actual cut off date will NOT be in June.
Both of these are speculation, no more reliable than what the call centre representatives say.

That said, as I have oft noted, my sense is the cut off date will be known at least a few days before it takes effect . . . but to be clear, this is also speculation.

I am far less certain about when the cut off date will be, even if a July date is more likely. Any statement in this regard, however, likewise continues to be just raw speculation.

We do not know either of these things with any degree of certainty.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There have NEVER been a case in history of CIC to say a cut off date in a mainstream immigration (Citizenship and PR programs)program regarding massive changes in the rules and therefore affecting so many people in the last moment without any final notice.

I really don't understand from where comes that Unfounded PARANOIA that this will be the first time that this will happen.

marcus66504

May 23, 2015
sidestep4u said:
i suggest u not to wait even a single extra day to drop ur application. every day counts . drop it on june 4th ..
You mean June 3rd.

I landed on June 2nd 2012, but you can't sign the application until the day AFTER you reach 1095 days of actual physical presence.

So that means the earliest I can sign the application and put it in the mail is the morning of June 3rd.

sidestep4u

Sep 27, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
surrey bc
NOC Code......
citizenship
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
dec 19 2016
Interview........
mar 9 2017
i dont think it will be effective until jan 1 2016

marcus66504

May 23, 2015
For what it's worth, I can bet my next paycheck there's not going to be any advance notice on CIC's webpage.

What's going to happen is what usually happens with CIC. One morning we'll wake up and find that its webpage has been updated with the new residency requirement, and that's how we'll know when it's in effect (in the sense that you'll no longer be able to apply under the old requirement).

I'm eligible on June 2nd can sign the application June 3rd. I personally have no issue with sending it right away on June 3rd, IF there were no CBSA records of entry to Canada in the past 1095 days. What worries me is that I have taken four same-day trips to New York State and CBSA records WILL show four entries back into Canada at the Buffalo land border (I know that because they swiped my PR Card in their keyboard).

Technically I don't even have to declare the trips. They don't count as absences since I returned the same day, but CIC COULD start to question that. That's why I'll include a brief note with my application, stating that I'm prepared to provide US CBP records of entry into the States on exactly the same days as those of return to Canada. This will establish the same-day nature of the trips.

Hopefully, they won't give me any grief. I've strongly come to believe that this will largely depend on which Citizenship officer takes my case and how good his/her cup of coffee is on the morning when he/she reviews my case.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
marcus66504 said:
For what it's worth, I can bet my next paycheck there's not going to be any advance notice on CIC's webpage.

What's going to happen is what usually happens with CIC. One morning we'll wake up and find that its webpage has been updated with the new residency requirement, and that's how we'll know when it's in effect (in the sense that you'll no longer be able to apply under the old requirement).

I'm eligible on June 2nd can sign the application June 3rd. I personally have no issue with sending it right away on June 3rd, IF there were no CBSA records of entry to Canada in the past 1095 days. What worries me is that I have taken four same-day trips to New York State and CBSA records WILL show four entries back into Canada at the Buffalo land border (I know that because they swiped my PR Card in their keyboard).

Technically I don't even have to declare the trips. They don't count as absences since I returned the same day, but CIC COULD start to question that. That's why I'll include a brief note with my application, stating that I'm prepared to provide US CBP records of entry into the States on exactly the same days as those of return to Canada. This will establish the same-day nature of the trips.

Hopefully, they won't give me any grief. I've strongly come to believe that this will largely depend on which Citizenship officer takes my case and how good his/her cup of coffee is on the morning when he/she reviews my case.
Can you give just one example when the CIC have done that? Notifying the public in the last moment regarding Huge immigration rule changes regarding mainstream programs like PRs and Citizenship which will affect the people directly?

What is the reason for that Paranoia in your head?

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
m22ij said:
actually thats not true,, to keep your medical card, first you have to pay taxes every year and have a house or a drivers license. In fact the Canadian Government wouldn't mind if people left the country and I don't know started working in Dubai for example and then pay the country taxes to keep their medical card.. I have asked lots of canadian who live abroad they all mentioned the same thing.
hey

How can you tell someone that he's lying when you don't know what you're talking about?

Thousand of people live in the welfare so don't pay taxes and they are covered by the health system.
Show me any provincial law that to have the Provincial medical card you need to pay taxes plus to have a house or a driving license.

What these Canadians are doing is not saying that they live abroad or they just come to Canada once every 6 months

Just 2 examples:

1) Quebec:

To remain covered by the Québec Health Insurance Plan, all persons who have taken up residence in Québec must be present here more than half of the year. The Régie conducts checks to ensure compliance. Specifically, your total number of days of absence in a given calendar year Calendar year
A year running from January 1 to December 31 of the same year. must be less than 183 (absences of 21 days or less do not count).

Persons who do not observe this rule lose their Health Insurance Plan coverage for all the calendar years during which they were absent 183 days or more. The Régie will require that they repay the cost of the healthcare services received during that time.

http://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/citizens/temporary-stays-outside-quebec/health-insurance/Pages/eligibility-during-stay.aspx

2) Ontario:

Ontario residents are eligible for provincially funded health coverage (OHIP). Generally, to be eligible for Ontario health coverage you must :

be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or among one of the newcomer to Canada groups who are eligible for OHIP as set out in Ontario’s Health Insurance Act ; and
be physically present in Ontario for 153 days in any 12-month period; and
be physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province; and
make your primary place of residence in Ontario.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/

marcus66504

May 23, 2015
MUFC said:
Can you give just one example when the CIC have done that? Notifying the public in the last moment regarding Huge immigration rule changes regarding mainstream programs like PRs and Citizenship which will affect the people directly?

What is the reason for that Paranoia in your head?
Yes, when the new Immigration and Refugee Protection Act took effect on June 28th, 2002. CIC's website was just updated on that same day.

Sounds to me like you're just picking an argument because of boredom and too much time on your hands.

I'm not sure that paranoia is the word I'd use. No advance notice is quite a likely outcome. The new residency requirement is now law and public information. They can implement it any day they like and they're not required to give advance notice.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
marcus66504 said:
Yes, when the new Immigration and Refugee Protection Act took effect on June 28th, 2002. CIC's website was just updated on that same day.

Sounds to me like you're just picking an argument because of boredom and too much time on your hands.

I'm not sure that paranoia is the word I'd use. No advance notice is quite a likely outcome. The new residency requirement is now law and public information. They can implement it any day they like and they're not required to give advance notice.
So once again you say that Suddenly they have changed it on the spot without any notice in advance? ;D

Please just confirm that once again :p

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
http://www.parl.gc.ca/About/Parliament/LegislativeSummaries/bills_ls.asp?ls=c11&Parl=37&Ses=1

marcus66504 said:
So by reading the link above, Please just confirm what you just said :p

And pay attention how many months in advance the notice with the date were given in advance

buddhaB

Star Member
Apr 15, 2015
you guys are a bunch of old men arguing in their wheelchairs! :)

I am very sorry for the society I am part of for not being united,especially immigrants who are the least concern of the CIC and the current Conservative government.

I do not think you can ever have a VOICE in Canada,my friend.With this current system you are part of,you`ll always be ruled under certain ethnicities/ethnicity

This thread is about Bill-C24 people.You are taking up space in DB for nothing.Just pleasing your ego

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
buddhaB said:
you guys are a bunch of old men arguing in their wheelchairs! :)

I am very sorry for the society I am part of for not being united,especially immigrants who are the least concern of the CIC and the current Conservative government.

I do not think you can ever have a VOICE in Canada,my friend.With this current system you are part of,you`ll always be ruled under certain ethnicities/ethnicity

This thread is about Bill-C24 people.You are taking up space in DB for nothing.Just pleasing your ego
This Law is not meant to stay forever after the enforcement. Everything is temporary and if something is really wrong it will be fixed by the future government.