+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effective date of Bill C24

May 7, 2015
ari5323 said:
Nothing is confirmed ,we can't know.there is only guesses , my personal guess, and a lot of the people here are guessing the date which is Probably July first.
As per me, I'm eligible on jun 17 to apply, and they will have it on June 19, that's why I mentioned The date.

Today in a few hours at lunch time the immigration minister is talking at a immigration lawyers convention , he is going to be asked the question, let's see if we get any news from there.
I'm eligible on Jun 17, too. If I send the materials on Jun 18, does the old rule work? Or the new rule?

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The website of the Parliament was updated again today.
Nothing New.

I don't think that anybody is surprised from that.

The applicants which will be eligible in the next 7 weeks. Give yourself some buffer extra days over the bare minimum requirement of physical presence days.

Don't be nervous. Nothing is coming.

ottomancan

May 8, 2015
I will be eligible on 27th of July, that is why i am worried. I been in this country for 10 years ( I was on student visa before) and i got my pr 3 years ago and last summer i went back to home. if i knew such a think coming up i would not even leave. so i would apply by now. What is happening is ridiculous. I hope they can let us know ASAP so we can set our plans up. And anyways if they change the rules i cant keep my passport right? There is a big project my family is doing and i will be the one who is managing the project.

Therefore, If i get my passport and leave in an other country they will take away my passport right?
So, maybe there is no point of applying to Canadian passport for me. I can just get a tourist visa and come see my friends with that. This is really ridiculous what they did to me after I spend my 10 years here and all the Taxes i have paid.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Tapak

Oct 13, 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sjakub said:
I don't think so.

One requirement is 1460 days during the last 6 years.
The other is 183 days/year in at least 4 out of 6 calendar years.

Since in 2012 you spent in Canada only about 118 days, you can't count 2012 as one of those four years.
Not to mention 2011, when you were here for less than a month.

Which means you need to be present in Canada for at least 183 days in 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 each.
Assuming you meet the first criteria and assuming that you don't leave Canada in 2016 (until you apply),
the earliest you could apply is 183 days into 2016, so around July 2nd, 2016.
That's an interesting note. So technically, anyone arriving on or after 1st July may not be able to count remaining days in that year towards residency for citizenship application.

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
Tapak said:
That's an interesting note. So technically, anyone arriving on or after 1st July may not be able to count remaining days in that year towards residency for citizenship application.
may be the law means fisical year, not calendar year. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm sure that they will provide again online residency calculator as a tool which will help the applicants to determine when they will be eligible to apply.
Right now is too early to talk about that.

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
MUFC said:
The website of the Parliament was updated again today.
Nothing New.
My dear friend, lets watch the news on TV or on the web tonight and see if there is an interview with the minister,and what he said.
or if one of the members here is a lawyer ( i think its DEPNABILL ) and he participated today at the convention / lunch with the minister

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It depends what will be the actual media coverage and interest to the speech of the Minister on that event.
The media must be a reliable one.

(I'm sticking to my bed that there was no definitive actual cut off date mentioned from the Minister)

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ottomancan said:
I will be eligible on 27th of July, that is why i am worried. I been in this country for 10 years ( I was on student visa before) and i got my pr 3 years ago and last summer i went back to home. if i knew such a think coming up i would not even leave. so i would apply by now. What is happening is ridiculous. I hope they can let us know ASAP so we can set our plans up. And anyways if they change the rules i cant keep my passport right? There is a big project my family is doing and i will be the one who is managing the project.

Therefore, If i get my passport and leave in an other country they will take away my passport right?
So, maybe there is no point of applying to Canadian passport for me. I can just get a tourist visa and come see my friends with that. This is really ridiculous what they did to me after I spend my 10 years here and all the Taxes i have paid.

I see that you are eligible before August 1st.
Stay in Canada and wait for official and confirmed actual cut off date. You have a chance.

sidestep4u

Sep 27, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
surrey bc
NOC Code......
citizenship
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
dec 19 2016
Interview........
mar 9 2017
hope it remains till nov 15 2015..... :p

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Tapak said:
That's an interesting note. [refreence to needing 183 days in each calendar year] So technically, anyone arriving on or after 1st July may not be able to count remaining days in that year towards residency for citizenship application.
True, but of no significant consequence: the PR who arrives after June 30th will not meet the qualifications following the 4th year anniversary until, likewise, after June 30th of that year, so the year of applying can be (subject to number days absent in the year) the 4th clendar year in which the 183 day requirement is met rather than the year of arrival.

That is, for a PR with no absences after arrival:

-- arrival in 2012 after June 30, does not meet 1460 requirement until after June 30th 2016, on the 4th year anniversary of the day of arrival, and thus 2013, 2014, 2015, and the first 183 days present in 2016 will constitute the four calendar years with 183+ days presence.

-- arrival in 2012 before June 30, meets the 1460 day requirement again upon 4th year anniversary of landing in 2016, and the four calendar years with 183+ days are 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015

ari5323 said:
may be the law means fisical year, not calendar year. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Statute explicitly used the term calendar year; no doubt about what that means, as in it means calendar year.

Caution: No one here can say for sure when the coming-into-force date will be. Even educated guesses are still just a guess. No more. No one here can definitively rule out May 15th, let alone any other day. How this affects any particular individual varies. Sure, the odds are good that it will not happen as of May 15th, but again no one here can definitively assure it will not, or that it will not happen May 22, or May 29 . . . the public does not know the date as yet.

This is said without knowing whether Minister Alexander offered anything definitive in response to questions today.

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
I thought you had lunch with the minister (-:

anon123

Jul 19, 2013
ottomancan said:

My advice is to pursue your opportunities and not to let a citizenship bill jeopardize your future. In your case you don't even need the passport to work on your family venture. Remeber, a PR remains a PR until becoming citizen or having the PR revoked. It is much easier to meet RO requirements (2 years out of 5, no requirement to stay in Canada at all if exceptions apply like working for Canadian company oversees, etc.). Even if you don't meet RO, you don't automatically lose your PR. First you have to get reported (which may not always happen), then there is a procedure and only then you may be ordered to leave.

C24 is really bad for people who need citizenship for their careers. All the trashtalk that went on about using benefits and not paying taxes, it applies just as well to PRs.