+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

EE profile - Include all work history or only work for which I can claim points?

Fai126

Sep 18, 2018
Hi all,

I am a bit concerned about how should I present my work experience when creating my Express Entry profile. I have engaged a law firm to prepare this on my behalf, and they say that I need to include all my work history regardless of whether I will be able to claim CRS points for each of the work experience listed therein.

After preparing my Express Entry profile, these lawyers said that my CRS score is 475, which obviously includes points granted for 3 years of continuous work experience. However, I can only claim 1 year of continuous work experience, so technically speaking my CRS should be 450 (I cannot claim the 3 years because in two jobs I did not perform the majority of the duties included in the corresponding NOC). Consequently, if I receive an ITA by having a CRS of 475, I am afraid that after submitting my application I am banned for misrepresentation as I will not be able to get a valid job reference letter for 3 years but only 1.

After raising this concern to my lawyers, their response is the following:

“These periods must still be listed, as they are paid work experiences listed in a skilled NOC (even though you may not receive credit for those periods should you receive an Invitation to Apply and submit a full application for permanent
residence). Whether or not you receive credit will be decided at the discretion of the visa officer.”

It’s not that I don’t trust my immigration lawyer but it seems too weird to me. What if I receive an ITA under the assumption that I have a score of 475 and then I cannot submit employment letters for 2 of the 3 years of qualifying work experience? Would the immigration officer still accept my application if my “real CRS score” (450) is still higher than the cut off score in the draw in which I was invited to apply ? Wouldn’t I be banned for misrepresentation?

Thanks a lot

prpurohit

Mar 12, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
4th June, 2018
Med's Done....
15th june
Passport Req..
27th September
Whether you want to claim points for 1 year of work experience or 3 years of experience is completely your prerogative. If you have sufficient crs points to get ITA by showing just 1 year work experience in your profile, then I would say show just one year. This will reduce documents from your end. This is what I did too.

Post ITA you will have to fill the personal history section. This would include all your activities in the past 10 yrs. Here you will mention all other work experience, including the one you're claiming points for, in chronological order.

Fai126

Sep 18, 2018
Whether you want to claim points for 1 year of work experience or 3 years of experience is completely your prerogative. If you have sufficient crs points to get ITA by showing just 1 year work experience in your profile, then I would say show just one year. This will reduce documents from your end. This is what I did too.

Post ITA you will have to fill the personal history section. This would include all your activities in the past 10 yrs. Here you will mention all other work experience, including the one you're claiming points for, in chronological order.
Thank you for your quick response! However, would it still be ok if I do as my lawyer suggests and list all the work experiences even though I won’t be able to provide a reference letter for most of those? Because my fear is that I only intend to submit one employment reference letter for one the three years of work experience, and that may lead to being banned for misrepresentation...

Reactions: Dharmesh0237

prpurohit

Mar 12, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
4th June, 2018
Med's Done....
15th june
Passport Req..
27th September
I can assure you, you won't get banned for claiming points for just 1 yr of work experience. I have done the same and got my PR.

What you will get banned for though, is not matching NOC correctly and providing insufficient documentation. This will surely lead to rejection.

And like your lawyer said, regardless of points you have to mention all your work experience...but this should be done while filling the personal history section post ITA. At the time of creating your profile, please put in work experience that you have all the documentation for.

Fai126

Sep 18, 2018
I can assure you, you won't get banned for claiming points for just 1 yr of work experience. I have done the same and got my PR.

What you will get banned for though, is not matching NOC correctly and providing insufficient documentation. This will surely lead to rejection.

And like your lawyer said, regardless of points you have to mention all your work experience...but this should be done while filling the personal history section post ITA. At the time of creating your profile, please put in work experience that you have all the documentation for.
Again, thanks a lot, this has been very useful.

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
Your lawyers don't have any magical insight-- the government of Canada is very transparent about the process on their website, and you can freely check what your score would be using their online calculator. You can play around with the number of years of work experience that you claim points for to see how it impacts your score.

I would have had a score of 481 if I had listed ALL of my relevant work experience under my NOC in my EE profile. I chose not to list all of it because I didn't need the extra points and wouldn't have been able to get the appropriate documentation from my previous employers anyway. I ended up only listing my most recent job with 2 years of full-time experience, giving me a score of 456. Post-ITA I listed my older work experience in my personal history and explained in my LOE the reason I didn't claim points for it. I never received any ADR. They don't seem to care as long as the work that you ARE claiming points for is thoroughly evidenced.

Alternately, as you sort of alluded to, you do have the option to move work experience from your work experience section to your personal history section post-ITA, but if you do this, your score will be re-calculated post-submission to make sure that it does not fall below the cutoff score for your round. You would also provide a brief explanation in your LOE about why you moved the work experience to personal history. It is not unheard of for people to do this. Work experience that is in personal history does not need to be supported with evidence.

Fai126

Sep 18, 2018
Your lawyers don't have any magical insight-- the government of Canada is very transparent about the process on their website, and you can freely check what your score would be using their online calculator. You can play around with the number of years of work experience that you claim points for to see how it impacts your score.

I would have had a score of 481 if I had listed ALL of my relevant work experience under my NOC in my EE profile. I chose not to list all of it because I didn't need the extra points and wouldn't have been able to get the appropriate documentation from my previous employers anyway. I ended up only listing my most recent job with 2 years of full-time experience, giving me a score of 456. Post-ITA I listed my older work experience in my personal history and explained in my LOE the reason I didn't claim points for it. I never received any ADR. They don't seem to care as long as the work that you ARE claiming points for is thoroughly evidenced.

Alternately, as you sort of alluded to, you do have the option to move work experience from your work experience section to your personal history section post-ITA, but if you do this, your score will be re-calculated post-submission to make sure that it does not fall below the cutoff score for your round. You would also provide a brief explanation in your LOE about why you moved the work experience to personal history. It is not unheard of for people to do this. Work experience that is in personal history does not need to be supported with evidence.
Thanks a lot for such a detailed response! I will then instruct my lawyer to amend my EE profile to only include the work experience for which I am going to claim credit. Much appreciated.

Reactions: Rahul_Ram1008
Jul 11, 2019
I have RR for current work exp as I was just a month old and did not provide duties letter(referral).

Howver, I have uploaded it under work history instead of personal. My eligbility is met.

Shal I upload LOE saying I have not claimed points for it and errenoulsy uploaded It in work history, or wait for ADR. Nov AOR

JAEN

Aug 10, 2019
I have RR for current work exp as I was just a month old and did not provide duties letter(referral).

Howver, I have uploaded it under work history instead of personal. My eligbility is met.

Shal I upload LOE saying I have not claimed points for it and errenoulsy uploaded It in work history, or wait for ADR. Nov AOR
What is meant by continuous work experience? I work 2years as a articling lawyer. Then got married and moveto s different town, then got a job 4 months later, and have now been employed for two years. Can i only claim 2years experience or 4 years? The term continuous is worrying me? Needless to say there's a big difference between 2years and 4 years experience, with regards points

Yacin_0107

Jul 23, 2019

Hi prpurohit

I need your help please, i have three work experiences:
17/04/2013 to 11/04/2014: Company A under NOC 2171
14/04/2014 to 10/06/2014: Company B under NOC 2174
16/06/2014 until today: Company C under NOC 2171

I can gather all documents required for the first and last experiences, but i can't manage to get any reference lettre for the second experience (less than 2 months) for which i only have one job certification that mention the dates and the title but doesn't mention the salary or mains responsabilities.

Is it mandatory to fill all work experiences wile creating my profile? Can i for example skip the 2nd experience and only present the two others work experiences, knowing that on the National Social Security certificat document that i will provide are listed all the work experiences.

Thank you in advance.

Fahadkazmi

May 28, 2018
Hi prpurohit

I need your help please, i have three work experiences:
17/04/2013 to 11/04/2014: Company A under NOC 2171
14/04/2014 to 10/06/2014: Company B under NOC 2174
16/06/2014 until today: Company C under NOC 2171

I can gather all documents required for the first and last experiences, but i can't manage to get any reference lettre for the second experience (less than 2 months) for which i only have one job certification that mention the dates and the title but doesn't mention the salary or mains responsabilities.

Is it mandatory to fill all work experiences wile creating my profile? Can i for example skip the 2nd experience and only present the two others work experiences, knowing that on the National Social Security certificat document that i will provide are listed all the work experiences.

Thank you in advance.
You can just mention about your work experience from Company C ( 5 years+ it will fetch you maximum points) in work history. After ITA mention all 3 work experiences in personal history section.
You will be asked to provide a reference letter from Company C since you are only claiming points for this job.
Hope its clear for you

Yacin_0107

Jul 23, 2019
You can just mention about your work experience from Company C ( 5 years+ it will fetch you maximum points) in work history. After ITA mention all 3 work experiences in personal history section.
You will be asked to provide a reference letter from Company C since you are only claiming points for this job.
Hope its clear for you
Thank you Fahadkazmi,

For my understanding, I will mention only the third experience under the job experience section while creating my profile, after ITA i will upload company C documents. At which level exactly do i have to mention other experiences ?

Thank you in advance

uppperkut

Jan 28, 2017
Somewhere in ON
Thank you Fahadkazmi,

For my understanding, I will mention only the third experience under the job experience section while creating my profile, after ITA i will upload company C documents. At which level exactly do i have to mention other experiences ?

Thank you in advance
Personal History section and you don't need proof or any documents for them.

Reactions: Boltj194

Yacin_0107

Jul 23, 2019
Thank you very much,

I thought that applicants should fill all work experiences and upload all proofs after ITA, this is what a lot of friends did via immigration lawyers. Now It's simple, my wife and I will only fill our Last jobs (+5years), other jobs will be mentionned in personal history.

Thank you so much

Reactions: NyashadzaShe

Fahadkazmi

May 28, 2018
Thank you very much,

I thought that applicants should fill all work experiences and upload all proofs after ITA, this is what a lot of friends did via immigration lawyers. Now It's simple, my wife and I will only fill our Last jobs (+5years), other jobs will be mentionned in personal history.

Thank you so much
If you are the primary applicant, than for your spouse you don't have to mention work experience in work history section.
Reason: You dont get any points for spouse work experience, so why bother for reference letters etc.

Just mention all of your spouse work experiences in personal history section truthfully.

Reactions: Boltj194