+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do i need to apply for visa again if i defer my classes on next semester?

Sep 4, 2018
not sure but I am assuming that they may be interested to do background check again closer to June before issuing the visa.
Hey helican!

I leave for Canada in two weeks and I have a few questions, what documents will I be asked for at the Port Of Entry? Currently I have the following documents ready: Passport, visa, letter of introduction and university acceptance letter.

I've read some people say that I also need to bring my proof of funds and I could be asked to provide it at the POE, is that true?

I've already payed my university+housing fee, should I bring my bank payment ID with me? The tuition fee covers the fee for my first term (winter term) and housing fee also includes a meal plan, the housing fee (including meal plan) is also for the first term which starts in January and ends in April. I will be bringing around $2000 CAD in my pocket too..

Thank you for all your replies so far by the way, they've been really helpful!

Last edited:

Helican

Champion Member
Aug 18, 2017
India
Visa Office......
bangalore
VISA ISSUED...
08-17-2017
LANDED..........
Sept 2, 2017
Hey helican!

I leave for Canada in two weeks and I have a few questions, what documents will I be asked for at the Port Of Entry? Currently I have the following documents ready: Passport, visa, letter of introduction and university acceptance letter.

I've read some people say that I also need to bring my proof of funds and I could be asked to provide it at the POE, is that true?

I've already payed my university+housing fee, should I bring my bank payment ID with me? The tuition fee covers the fee for my first term (winter term) and housing fee also includes a meal plan, the housing fee (including meal plan) is also for the first term which starts in January and ends in April. I will be bringing around $2000 CAD in my pocket too..

Thank you for all your replies so far by the way, they've been really helpful!
The docs are enough. They did not ask me any questions about financial funds. I had $3500 with me. Well, they understand that you cant carry a lot of cash. Max is $5000. If they ask then just show them what you have and tell them that you have paid the fees. Its very busy at the airport so they will only ask for docs. While I was waiting to collect the luggage, an officer came and was asking people where they came from? didnt ask me anything.

Reactions: dazedandconfuzed

Dhavalp13

Dec 31, 2018
i Helican have applied study permit for sep 2018 intake and its yet to arrive,my classes will start by 10th sep. I am plaanning to defer it to jan intake as i think my visa will not arrive by then. What if the visa arrives for sep intake and can i enter canada using that visa for Jan ?kindly help
Have u got visaaa?

Dhavalp13

Dec 31, 2018
Yes, you can definitely do that. Dont worry abt that.
Hey Helican
Can u plz help me ..
I applied for jan 2019 intake
Till now i did not get my visa in still waiting. I have questions? Is visa is rejected if intake dates was gone ?
If i get the visa late for jan 2019 intake? Can i use the same ? Can u help me the procedure what to do next, my course is now in sep 2019. What can i do can u please explain plzz.

Adapan

Jan 7, 2019
The docs are enough. They did not ask me any questions about financial funds. I had $3500 with me. Well, they understand that you cant carry a lot of cash. Max is $5000. If they ask then just show them what you have and tell them that you have paid the fees. Its very busy at the airport so they will only ask for docs. While I was waiting to collect the luggage, an officer came and was asking people where they came from? didnt ask me anything.
Hey helican,

Need some help.

I got a request for passport and I sent it to the ircc office few days ago ,will be getting it back by the end of the week . As my university classes already started I decided to postpone my studies to next term and will be deferring it . But the problem is about the medicals. I have taken them way before in March 2018. Will I have to take the exam again .? Even if I took the exam again how to submit/update them to my account (since I already got my visa)?

Helican

Champion Member
Aug 18, 2017
India
Visa Office......
bangalore
VISA ISSUED...
08-17-2017
LANDED..........
Sept 2, 2017
Hey helican,

Need some help.

I got a request for passport and I sent it to the ircc office few days ago ,will be getting it back by the end of the week . As my university classes already started I decided to postpone my studies to next term and will be deferring it . But the problem is about the medicals. I have taken them way before in March 2018. Will I have to take the exam again .? Even if I took the exam again how to submit/update them to my account (since I already got my visa)?
as far as I know medicals are only valid for 1 year. Since, your passport is still with the visa office there is a possibility they might keep it and ask you for a new LOA. Most university LOA are valid for 2-3 semesters but check what is written in your LOA. If there is an issue with the medicals, they will ask for it. If you still want to submit a new medical then you can submit through case specific enquiry. the link is, https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Helican

Champion Member
Aug 18, 2017
India
Visa Office......
bangalore
VISA ISSUED...
08-17-2017
LANDED..........
Sept 2, 2017
Hey Helican
Can u plz help me ..
I applied for jan 2019 intake
Till now i did not get my visa in still waiting. I have questions? Is visa is rejected if intake dates was gone ?
If i get the visa late for jan 2019 intake? Can i use the same ? Can u help me the procedure what to do next, my course is now in sep 2019. What can i do can u please explain plzz.
If they want to approve your visa then they would like to see the LOA for the next intake. They will email you asking for it ONLY if they are going to approve your application. For the time being, you can contact your college/uni for new LOA.

Adapan

Jan 7, 2019
as far as I know medicals are only valid for 1 year. Since, your passport is still with the visa office there is a possibility they might keep it and ask you for a new LOA. Most university LOA are valid for 2-3 semesters but check what is written in your LOA. If there is an issue with the medicals, they will ask for it. If you still want to submit a new medical then you can submit through case specific enquiry. the link is, https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1
Thanks for the response.I got my passport back today with a visa stamp. How to proceed now ?. I will surely contact them using webform.please inform if you have any additional info

Helican

Champion Member
Aug 18, 2017
India
Visa Office......
bangalore
VISA ISSUED...
08-17-2017
LANDED..........
Sept 2, 2017
Thanks for the response.I got my passport back today with a visa stamp. How to proceed now ?. I will surely contact them using webform.please inform if you have any additional info
Use the case specific enquiry form and explain the situation with the medical. They will reply to you in 30 days or so. If they ask you to do the medicals again then just do it and send it to them. If they dont ask then you are good. Atleast you will have proof that you did your job of informing them and were waiting for their reply.

pari_dec12

Star Member
Aug 19, 2013
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2013
File Transfer...
04-04-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
In process Aug 14th,decision made Oct 31st,visa issued oct 29th,passport received nov 7th
LANDED..........
Flying on nov 11th
Hello Helican & other senior members,

My nephew has applied his study permit from Nepal for January 2019 intake. Today his profile was updated and Delhi has asked for his passport and medical. The classes has already started from Jan 7 and we asked his college Seneca for an extension of week or so as the last day to attend class is Jan 18. But they denied the extension as he will miss the chunk of his classes may be 3-5 weeks. So they suggested to defer the admission till next semester Sep 2019 and he has applied already for deferral. Lets say he gets his passport back in couple of weeks time. Can he come to Canada(I'm in Canada) now or he can come only few weeks before his class starts in Sept 2019? Or can he change his program and apply for the new program which starts in May 2019 instead?

Any advise will be really helpful. Please and thank you.

Helican

Champion Member
Aug 18, 2017
India
Visa Office......
bangalore
VISA ISSUED...
08-17-2017
LANDED..........
Sept 2, 2017
Hello Helican & other senior members,

My nephew has applied his study permit from Nepal for January 2019 intake. Today his profile was updated and Delhi has asked for his passport and medical. The classes has already started from Jan 7 and we asked his college Seneca for an extension of week or so as the last day to attend class is Jan 18. But they denied the extension as he will miss the chunk of his classes may be 3-5 weeks. So they suggested to defer the admission till next semester Sep 2019 and he has applied already for deferral. Lets say he gets his passport back in couple of weeks time. Can he come to Canada(I'm in Canada) now or he can come only few weeks before his class starts in Sept 2019? Or can he change his program and apply for the new program which starts in May 2019 instead?

Any advise will be really helpful. Please and thank you.
replied to your message.

a.aziz

Sep 11, 2018
If you are ok to take the pain of extending the visa later then you can go ahead and apply for the visa with the offer letter for Jan 2019. Visa extension is not difficult after you land here unless you do something wrong or your attendance and scores are an issue.
Hi Helican,
I applied for a study permit on 27 of December 2018, I sent CSE asking for the status of my application because it exceeded the normal processing time.
the Visa office reply was:

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for the e-mail, our office is aware of the applying date 27 December 2019 as your education program starts on the 7 May 20419. Kindly note that your application would be closed prior to the start date.

I did not understand their reply

Helican

Champion Member
Aug 18, 2017
India
Visa Office......
bangalore
VISA ISSUED...
08-17-2017
LANDED..........
Sept 2, 2017
Hi Helican,
I applied for a study permit on 27 of December 2018, I sent CSE asking for the status of my application because it exceeded the normal processing time.
the Visa office reply was:

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for the e-mail, our office is aware of the applying date 27 December 2019 as your education program starts on the 7 May 20419. Kindly note that your application would be closed prior to the start date.

I did not understand their reply
You applied for May so wait for few more weeks. All they are saying is that they know the start date is May 7th and they will let you know the outcome of your application before that.

Reactions: a.aziz

a.aziz

Sep 11, 2018
You applied for May so wait for few more weeks. All they are saying is that they know the start date is May 7th and they will let you know the outcome of your application before that.
Thank you Helican
I applied early because if I got rejected, I will have enough time to reapply.
especially I cannot defer my study.
the more delay the decision for my application .the less chance to reapply if I got rejected.

Nikunj_1707

Jan 25, 2019
I got study visa for feb intake.but due to some reasons,college gave me a defferal intake august after got visa. I got visa based on feb intake so I want to ask that does any effect on My GIC account which for feb intake or i can use same for august intake? & how to give information to IRCC about my deferral after my application was approved?