+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do i need to apply for visa again if i defer my classes on next semester?

Ansh Mathur

Aug 19, 2018
you just have to apply for an extension. dont worry, once you land i canada, be alert, ask people, ask counsellors in the college. All international students are in the same boat so getting info is easy.
But the visa also includes work permit year or do they extend the visa without any problem ?

Sep 4, 2018
you just have to apply for an extension. dont worry, once you land i canada, be alert, ask people, ask counsellors in the college. All international students are in the same boat so getting info is easy.
Dear Helican, I was supposed to start my freshmen year of college yesterday but my study permit seems to be taking way too long and due to that reason I've already missed my first class/es. When I applied for the study permit I wrote that my classes would start on September 4th and the duration of my degree would be 4 years. Now that I've already missed my first day of classes I'm considering dropping all my courses for my first semester - aka Fall Semester because I have no idea how long my visa processing will take. If I do drop my courses I'll still be registered for the winter semester classes. Would it be okay if I dropped all my courses for my fall semester? Will it affect my study permit process since the information I wrote in my study permit application won't be correct anymore and I would be starting in winter semester instead of fall semester?
I'd also like to mention that my letter of acceptance/offer of admission from the university says that either Fall (september) 2018 OR Winter (january) 2019 are my Start Terms.
I've already talked to my school and they said I can certainly drop my fall term courses and just stay registered for the winter term courses for now, which will eventually become my first semester after I drop my fall term courses. I'm just worried that it might affect my visa processing and lead to refusal :(

Helican

Champion Member
Aug 18, 2017
India
Visa Office......
bangalore
VISA ISSUED...
08-17-2017
LANDED..........
Sept 2, 2017
Dear Helican, I was supposed to start my freshmen year of college yesterday but my study permit seems to be taking way too long and due to that reason I've already missed my first class/es. When I applied for the study permit I wrote that my classes would start on September 4th and the duration of my degree would be 4 years. Now that I've already missed my first day of classes I'm considering dropping all my courses for my first semester - aka Fall Semester because I have no idea how long my visa processing will take. If I do drop my courses I'll still be registered for the winter semester classes. Would it be okay if I dropped all my courses for my fall semester? Will it affect my study permit process since the information I wrote in my study permit application won't be correct anymore and I would be starting in winter semester instead of fall semester?
I'd also like to mention that my letter of acceptance/offer of admission from the university says that either Fall (september) 2018 OR Winter (january) 2019 are my Start Terms.
I've already talked to my school and they said I can certainly drop my fall term courses and just stay registered for the winter term courses for now, which will eventually become my first semester after I drop my fall term courses. I'm just worried that it might affect my visa processing and lead to refusal :(
yes, it absolutely fine. The college is not actually saying to drop the courses but they are just saying to defer to next intake which most of the student have to do when their study permit is refused and the intake has already passed.

Helican

Champion Member
Aug 18, 2017
India
Visa Office......
bangalore
VISA ISSUED...
08-17-2017
LANDED..........
Sept 2, 2017
i Helican have applied study permit for sep 2018 intake and its yet to arrive,my classes will start by 10th sep. I am plaanning to defer it to jan intake as i think my visa will not arrive by then. What if the visa arrives for sep intake and can i enter canada using that visa for Jan ?kindly help
Yes, you can definitely do that. Dont worry abt that.

Jae May

Jun 1, 2018
Great Day, I think im having the same case with others here. My class began last sept 4, but up to now, im still waiting for my visa results. The school adviced me to attend my classes for january 2018 but upon checking their site, my program isnt available for january, would that be okay? Although the school already gave the suggestion to attend and begin my classes on January instead of September. For the benefit of the doubt and clarifications, do you think this is possible? Thanks!

Jae May

Jun 1, 2018
Hi! Have you changed your program when you were deferred for January intake? Or you will just begin your class/es on January having the same program?

a.aziz

Sep 11, 2018
Hi Helican,
I got letter of acceptance for January 2019 but I am planning to defer my admission to summer 2019. Can I start my visa application now with the current letter of acceptance?

Sep 4, 2018
Hi! Have you changed your program when you were deferred for January intake? Or you will just begin your class/es on January having the same program?
hi! no i did not change my program, luckily most of the courses that i need were available for me in the winter semester

Sep 4, 2018
Hi Helican,
I got letter of acceptance for January 2019 but I am planning to defer my admission to summer 2019. Can I start my visa application now with the current letter of acceptance?
I believe it would be better if you defer your admission first and then initiate the visa process with updated documents, this way you won't have to apply for extension in the future. Hoping helican sees your message!

rishiu

Jun 6, 2018
hello guys
i got my visa approved for september intake but as it was delayed i couldn’t make on september and also my college doesn’t offer that course for jan intake.so can i get admission from new college but same course for jan intake and get in to jan intake with offer letter for same visa!?

Helican

Champion Member
Aug 18, 2017
India
Visa Office......
bangalore
VISA ISSUED...
08-17-2017
LANDED..........
Sept 2, 2017
Hi Helican,
If you are ok to take the pain of extending the visa later then you can go ahead and apply for the visa with the offer letter for Jan 2019. Visa extension is not difficult after you land here unless you do something wrong or your attendance and scores are an issue.

Sep 4, 2018
If you are ok to take the pain of extending the visa later then you can go ahead and apply for the visa with the offer letter for Jan 2019. Visa extension is not difficult after you land here unless you do something wrong or your attendance and scores are an issue.
Hi Helican, I have another question...
I got my student visa on September 19th and I'm supposed to start my first year at my university in the Winter 2019 semester, January 7th to be exact. Since the check-in/move-in day for my university is January 7th and I am going to be living in one of the resident halls in the campus I am planning to get to Canada on January 7th or January 6th if I can get my university to agree. My question is, is there any type of condition on student visas that says we have to leave for Canada in certain amount of days? For example 60 days or 90 days? or is it okay to leave your country depending on whenever your university starts, even if it is 4 months after getting your visa?

Helican

Champion Member
Aug 18, 2017
India
Visa Office......
bangalore
VISA ISSUED...
08-17-2017
LANDED..........
Sept 2, 2017
Hi Helican, I have another question...
I got my student visa on September 19th and I'm supposed to start my first year at my university in the Winter 2019 semester, January 7th to be exact. Since the check-in/move-in day for my university is January 7th and I am going to be living in one of the resident halls in the campus I am planning to get to Canada on January 7th or January 6th if I can get my university to agree. My question is, is there any type of condition on student visas that says we have to leave for Canada in certain amount of days? For example 60 days or 90 days? or is it okay to leave your country depending on whenever your university starts, even if it is 4 months after getting your visa?
What I understood from your post is your class starts on Jan 7th and you plan to get their on Jan 6th???

Sep 4, 2018
What I understood from your post is your class starts on Jan 7th and you plan to get their on Jan 6th???
No, the move-in day is on January 7th and my classes start on January 10th, I'm planning to get their on around January 6th or maybe earlier if my university sends out early arrival forms. I'm just worried that leaving my country and going to Canada almost 4 months after getting my visa might affect it somehow...I've read some people say that we should leave for Canada within 90 days after getting our visa, I'm not sure if this is an actual condition on visas or just rumors by people on here.