+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do i need to apply for visa again if i defer my classes on next semester?

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
No, the move-in day is on January 7th and my classes start on January 10th, I'm planning to get their on around January 6th or maybe earlier if my university sends out early arrival forms. I'm just worried that leaving my country and going to Canada almost 4 months after getting my visa might affect it somehow...I've read some people say that we should leave for Canada within 90 days after getting our visa, I'm not sure if this is an actual condition on visas or just rumors by people on here.
You won't have any problems. You can go to Canada since you already have the visa. If you come in early (a few weeks or couple of months before your classes starts), just be sure that you show CBSA enough funds to cover those extra weeks/months before your classes starts. If you come in a few days before your classes starts, CBSA will not question you about it.

When you got your visa, did you get any conditions in it that says you can only come in certain number of days? If not, then its only rumor since I also did not get such condition on my visa.

Najaah mahamud

Star Member
Sep 15, 2018
Hi Is there any fee that one pays when applying for defer as in I miss my September intake so I want to Join January intake so will the university charge me with it

Helican

Champion Member
Aug 18, 2017
India
Visa Office......
bangalore
VISA ISSUED...
08-17-2017
LANDED..........
Sept 2, 2017
No, the move-in day is on January 7th and my classes start on January 10th, I'm planning to get their on around January 6th or maybe earlier if my university sends out early arrival forms. I'm just worried that leaving my country and going to Canada almost 4 months after getting my visa might affect it somehow...I've read some people say that we should leave for Canada within 90 days after getting our visa, I'm not sure if this is an actual condition on visas or just rumors by people on here.
No, there is no problem at all. You are going there on time. Dont worry about the 4 months/90 days thing. There are so many student who get the visa late and then they defer to next intake and travel after 6 months. You will not face any prob at all.

asif1995

Nov 29, 2018
Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
VFS, Dhaka, Bangladesh
App. Filed.......
Hello!
I got acceptance letter for Jan19 and applied for the visa on 16th Oct along with my passport through VFS. I am yet to receive a decision and in the meantime my university has informed that they cannot enroll me into Jan19 as I am yet to get visa. They offered me a deferral to Sep19 but I insisted them to hold my seat for some more time until I get my decision from CIC.

However, today, I got 2 messages from CIC in my GCKey. I have been requested to provide an updated Acceptance letter with new course start date. Besides, I have been asked to go for the medical examination. People generally say that asking for a medical exam means there are high chances to get the visa. But I am now worried how would the new deferred LOA affect my application. Will my application be refused because my pragram's starting date will be in September 2019 instead of January?

asif1995

Nov 29, 2018
Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
VFS, Dhaka, Bangladesh
App. Filed.......
If you already have the deferral letter then send it to them. Even if you dont send it, they would still process your application but it is always good to send it. They will only send your passport back if your application is refused. If approved, they will just grant you the study permit. They wont send the passport back and ask you to again submit in September.

They wont reject your application on the basis of start date.
Dear Helican,
I have applied for my study permit mid October for January 2019 intake. On November 29th, I got mail that I need to send updated LOA. I talked to my university and have got a deferred LOA for September 2019. I also got medical request that same day. I have done my medical today. I am worried if my application will be rejected because my course start date is in August 2019. Will they ask me to reapply later?

Helican

Champion Member
Aug 18, 2017
India
Visa Office......
bangalore
VISA ISSUED...
08-17-2017
LANDED..........
Sept 2, 2017
Dear Helican,
I have applied for my study permit mid October for January 2019 intake. On November 29th, I got mail that I need to send updated LOA. I talked to my university and have got a deferred LOA for September 2019. I also got medical request that same day. I have done my medical today. I am worried if my application will be rejected because my course start date is in August 2019. Will they ask me to reapply later?
No, they wont reject you. Just send the updated LOA and they will issue you the visa for Sept 2019 but I think they may take some time. Does the university not have the same program for May 2019???

asif1995

Nov 29, 2018
Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
VFS, Dhaka, Bangladesh
App. Filed.......
No, they wont reject you. Just send the updated LOA and they will issue you the visa for Sept 2019 but I think they may take some time. Does the university not have the same program for May 2019???
No the university only has fall and spring. They have given me the new loa and it is mentioned that they need confirmation of visa by 1St July. I will upload it soon. Thanks for your support brother, have been worried about this a lot. Can't even think normally these days. I have spent a lot of time money and effort for this. My parents would not even try to understand so much compli

Helican

Champion Member
Aug 18, 2017
India
Visa Office......
bangalore
VISA ISSUED...
08-17-2017
LANDED..........
Sept 2, 2017
No the university only has fall and spring. They have given me the new loa and it is mentioned that they need confirmation of visa by 1St July. I will upload it soon. Thanks for your support brother, have been worried about this a lot. Can't even think normally these days. I have spent a lot of time money and effort for this. My parents would not even try to understand so much compli
have been there and I know how many sleepless nights I have spent. they have asked for the LOA so be positive. They want to approve it thats why they have asked for it.

asif1995

Nov 29, 2018
Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
VFS, Dhaka, Bangladesh
App. Filed.......
have been there and I know how many sleepless nights I have spent. they have asked for the LOA so be positive. They want to approve it thats why they have asked for it.

Thanks for being so comforting brother. May Allah bless you.

Reactions: Helican

asif1995

Nov 29, 2018
Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
VFS, Dhaka, Bangladesh
App. Filed.......
Hey brother Helican, I have received a message from IRCC in my GCKey account and also emial yesterday which says that my application to study in Canada has been approved. But as my study does not start before Aug 19, they will retain my passport. Mid-June they will do a "final assessment" and issue the visa.

The status is GCKey still shows application in process.

Can you please help me with this? What does the term "final assessment" mean? Should I be worrying about anything or should I need any further document to provide them? I am still nervous although everyone around me has started congratulating me.

Helican

Champion Member
Aug 18, 2017
India
Visa Office......
bangalore
VISA ISSUED...
08-17-2017
LANDED..........
Sept 2, 2017
Hey brother Helican, I have received a message from IRCC in my GCKey account and also emial yesterday which says that my application to study in Canada has been approved. But as my study does not start before Aug 19, they will retain my passport. Mid-June they will do a "final assessment" and issue the visa.

The status is GCKey still shows application in process.

Can you please help me with this? What does the term "final assessment" mean? Should I be worrying about anything or should I need any further document to provide them? I am still nervous although everyone around me has started congratulating me.
SO, they have the offer letter for Aug,right??? When did you do your medicals??

Reactions: asif1995

asif1995

Nov 29, 2018
Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
VFS, Dhaka, Bangladesh
App. Filed.......
SO, they have the offer letter for Aug,right??? When did you do your medicals??
I have sent them the updated LOA with deferred dates. Receiving that, they sent me this. I am now wondering what is the thing in final assessment.

Helican

Champion Member
Aug 18, 2017
India
Visa Office......
bangalore
VISA ISSUED...
08-17-2017
LANDED..........
Sept 2, 2017
I have sent them the updated LOA with deferred dates. Receiving that, they sent me this. I am now wondering what is the thing in final assessment.
not sure but I am assuming that they may be interested to do background check again closer to June before issuing the visa.