+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Difficulties in Canada

alby84

Aug 4, 2016
Hello folks,
Let me share my Canadian experience:

I came to Canada Vancouver on 2013. I arrived with a work permit -closed one- and worked at UBC as a postdoctoral research fellow.
My job offer said its for 3 years (2y fixed and 1y depends on funding).

When I arrived after the short period , they informed that not enough funding blah blah.
While working I realize there is designed circuit is defective and some stuff missing and fixed help of one Chinese origin technicians.

The previous postdoctoral researcher didn't implement much stuff where I completed etc, talks, presentation etc.
On April 2014, I went to conference Ontario gave a talk about analyses of data and obtained the result.

On May 2014, my supervisor told that he is going to hire new post-doc for data to analyse and I am good for hardware.
That time I asked if I am not good for data analyses , why UK group used my results and why you send me to conference for data analysis.

End of may 2014 I resigned UBC and same time I got job offer software and firmware engineer in one company, they need urgently someone.
I told about work permit and CEO told that I have to start for him and he is going to fix my immigration papers, LMIA and PNP.

I worked 7 months and each month my payment delayed and sometimes didn't get my salary on time.
He failed to get me LMIA and later my PNP application failed because, the company hasn't a license, advertised job blah blah.

Good experience with Canadain companies. Where Canada claims he is the top leading country on blah blah.
Anyway, when I worked UBC or the company, the seniors easily screams, increasing their voice, again Canada claims there is not harassment in the workplace.

And, working with English originated Canadians, awfull:

We had engineer where loved to talk too much instead of working and where he wanted to be top of the team.
Once I asked the question to him, he explained and ended : I am very smart because English my first language.

Another, we had senior engineer where all the day he asked help to me and he behaved like that skin is dark and your are the idiot and you have to behave as the slave.

Those all hurt me too much and where last few month my nerve get on negative side.

Sometimes I am trying to understand about Canada.

About my current work:
I am the online consultant on software and firmware developer working with USA companies.
Once a month client comes to Vancouver for discussion around table.

Working from home has the small lab for measurements and test. And every year renew my visa , my kid's study for her I have to renew study permit and mine temp stay.

One thing I realized, never shows people that you are upset if they realised you lost.
All the best for you staying in this country.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
alby84 said:
Hello folks,

I came to Canada Vancouver on 2013. I arrived with a work permit -closed one- and worked at UBC as a postdoctoral research fellow.

When I arrived after the short period , they informed that not enough funding blah blah.
While working I realize there is designed circuit is defective and some stuff missing and fixed help of one Chinese origin technicians.

The previous postdoctoral researcher didn't implement much stuff where I completed etc, talks, presentation etc.
On April 2014, I went to conference Ontario gave a talk about analyses of data and obtained the result.

On May 2014, my supervisor told that he is going to hire new post-doc for data to analyse and I am good for hardware.
That time I asked if I am not good for data analyses , why UK group used my results and why you send me to conference for data analysis.

End of may 2014 I resigned UBC and same time I got job offer software and firmware engineer in one company, they need urgently someone.
I told about work permit and CEO told that I have to start for him and he is going to fix my immigration papers, LMIA and PNP.

I worked 7 months and each month my payment delayed and sometimes didn't get my salary on time.
He failed to get me LMIA and later my PNP application failed because, the company hasn't a license, advertised job blah blah.

Good experience with Canadain companies. Where Canada claims he is the top leading country on blah blah.
Anyway, when I worked UBC or the company, the seniors easily screams, increasing their voice, again Canada claims there is not harassment in the workplace.

We had engineer where loved to talk too much instead of working and where he wanted to be top of the team.
Once I asked the question to him, he explained and ended : I am very smart because English my first language.

Another, we had senior engineer where all the day he asked help to me and he behaved like that skin is dark and your are the idiot and you have to behave as the slave.

Those all hurt me too much and where last few month my nerve get on negative side.

About my current work:
I am the online consultant on software and firmware developer working with USA companies.

Working from home has the small lab for measurements and test. And every year renew my visa , my kid's study for her I have to renew study permit and mine temp stay.

One thing I realized, never shows people that you are upset if they realised you lost.
Thanks for sharing your experience. One thing I don't understand is why, in spite of failures, steps backward in their career, taking survival jobs, discrimination, uncertain immigration etc and in spite of being highly educated and employable in other parts of the world, do lots of people continue to stay on in Canada?

Silencer_RIB

May 23, 2016
johnjkjk said:
Thanks for sharing your experience. One thing I don't understand is why, in spite of failures, steps backward in their career, taking survival jobs, discrimination, uncertain immigration etc and in spite of being highly educated and employable in other parts of the world, do lots of people continue to stay on in Canada?
I am waiting for my PR so that I have not yet reached the position in your question.

But in my imagination, people who obtained CA PR might be prone to stay in CA even if they cannot find a promising job.

Returning back means a huge setback, and the time and effort burned in the immigration processes are wasted.

And maybe some of them might find it difficult to move back to home countries due to various reasons (money, family, etc).

Despite the description, please be aware that there are many people emigrate back to their homeland every year. ( hopefully someone could provide some concrete number here.)

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alby84 said:
Hello folks,

About my current work:

Here is the sad and unwanted truth for you. The key reason of your difficulties is the language and most likely lack of flexibility to adapt.
1. Language - I am not a native English speaker, but the way you are writing your story is difficult to understand. Apart of some minor mistakes there are some bigger ones. While writing we do have access to translators and spellcheckers to correct us, I can only guess that your spoken English might be worse.
The job you were doing was data analysis (ok for that you do not really need that much of high level of active language skills) but also presentation of these datas.
And that was the major problem. Data presentation is not just standing there and telling something technical while waiting for people that are listening to you to check it up later from your presentation. That is about selling it to them. And by that I mean that you will really sell the idea behind the data to others, in other way to persuade them that what they get is exactly what they need and it is the best what they need. At that very moment you do represent your department or even company against potential customers or competition. A company cannot afford to have a weak presentator.
Yes you are easily replacable with somebody else who can do data analysis but has better language and presentation skills. Actually I would assume that that your company has even tried to give you opportunity that was better suited for your skills (that is taking care of hardware).
You had your pride and left - everybody has right for pride, it is just a pride has it price as you have learned.
The second company has simply scammed you (yes such thing do exist in abundancy and they do wait for people with difficult position just like you to exploit your situation without permanent PR).

2. Flexibility - from all that I have read I kind of lack to see self criticism - something in the line - if the locals think that they are better because their native language, then I will put myself to effort and learn that language properly to be on their level, if that is my obstacle I will conquer it so they can no longer say that. If for example lack of local certification is a problem I will go for that as well. You are there in a foreign country and you are to adapt to the way of living over there and not they to you.

This is what I think about the whole story.

Reactions: hamgha

Hansdza

Mar 7, 2013
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
johnjkjk said:
The answer is opportunity cost. They've lost a lot of this cost. Not to mention sunk cost they have incurred so far and social pressure from their families and friends in their home countries they would have to face if they come back. For many of them, immigrating to Canada is perceived as a super big achievement. Canada is (on their mind) a developed countries with state of the art governance, modern western lifestyle, advanced education system, advanced technology, superb quality of life, etc etc etc.. big applause/congratulations and farewell party from colleagues/friends before their flight to Canada..
A dream of happy life forever..

Imagine if you were that person. what would you do?

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
johnjkjk said:
Same thing why millions of Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshi etc. are working as slaves in the Gulf countries. They are treating like subhuman, but they still don't want to go home because at least they have a job and earn some money. Therefore, working condition in Canada is pretty much another world comparing to their home country (including my as well).

Jul 2, 2016
Silencer_RIB said:
Despite the description, please be aware that there are many people emigrate back to their homeland every year. ( hopefully someone could provide some concrete number here.)
dont have those figures and probably wont be available anywhere officially as nobody wants to look bad and be transparent about it but as i mentioned at the start of this topic - atleast 2 people i know are 'Canada returnees' and there may be others from all parts of the world.

Alexios07 said:
Same thing why millions of Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshi etc. are working as slaves in the Gulf countries. They are treating like subhuman, but they still don't want to go home because at least they have a job and earn some money. Therefore, working condition in Canada is pretty much another world comparing to their home country (including my as well).
although the OECD growth in the long term will not be that impressive and you can see from the below graph that the emerging countries will continue to grow with healthy rates
http://www.oecd.org/media/2016-1/2016-2/EO%20interim%20september.png
... actually i can even notice the influx of people from these OECD countries coming to 6% growth market like ours as 10 to 15 years ago there were very few of them to be seen anywhere in our city and they don't speak our language (heck they don't even want to pronounce your name properly) but they hire locals to do all their local dirty work - that seems a bit like double standards, not surprised tho, and i can't complain so long as they are adding to our nations economy.

The disappointing thing for most immigrants is when they fail to realize the dreams they built up when they got their PR. Nobody wants to be working at a supermarket stocking shelves or serving lattes or driving taxis when you were doing software development or industrial process design or managing investment portfolios, etc even if it was for a lower pay with not so similar work conditions like in Canada because that individual would then simply be wasting away their potential and time all be it at minimum wage. and to top it up = they get reminded that they are there in Canada through a skilled visa.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
54321 said:
Got my COPR in Mar-16 and currently living outside Canada, I have been searching and applying for jobs online in my career (industrial eng.) but so far no good news. In addition, two of my friends returned back from Canada after spending little over a year working what they described as "pointless menial jobs", and before leaving they both had decent experience (one in civil eng. 6+ and the other in mech. eng. 5+). When you read other peoples cases online you may ignore it but these two cases (in my real life - not online) can be a sort of 'wake-up call'. I also gather that companies/employers in Canada tend to ignore applicants who have no Canadian education and work experience. My concern is if there are others with similar experiences and what have they done to overcome such a situation.
It's not just international engineers, the problem affects Canadian-educated engineers too - it's definitely an occupation-specific problem at least in Ontario if not all of Canada. Lots of unemployed/underemployed engineering graduates - You have to do your research on where the jobs are... (and are not...)

http://ediweekly.com/ontario-engineers-facing-crisis-employment/

It can help to research and join a professional association, they often have job banks for their members. Also attend annual meetings/conferences to network, sometimes their are job fairs too -

LokiJr01

Apr 13, 2016
Manila
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2016
Doc's Request.
09-08-2016
Nomination.....
26-08-2016
AOR Received.
15-09-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
09-09-2016
Passport Req..
05-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2017
Part of migrating to a new country is accepting the fact that you start from scratch. Everyone starts with that. Pride and loneliness are what will stand in your way in succeeding in this venture.

For me, if I have to be a bagger in a grocery shop, why not? It's going to pay the bills. Swallow your pride and take the job. You won't stay being a bagger forever anyway. Keep the dream alive and you will be back to your original job in no time.

Pawshi

Apr 2, 2016
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2016
Sorry. Why the pride is lost when you start from scratch again? It is a learning cycle. I am at top of my career in my native country. Me and my spouse earn more than US$ 100 K in India. But still we want to settle in canada for the kids. We are preparing ourselves to start the life from scratch. I am taking technical training and my spouse is also taking technical training like CPA, so that we can start all over again. We are saving all where possible, so that we have enough to settle down even without job.

My wife is a finance controller (almost a head of function). But she does not hesitate to start as a book keeper and accounts officer. Same is the case for me.

Even if we have to do some odd jobs for the initial months/years we are ready for that.

Please remember life is all about learning relearning.......

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
I must probably be the only guy here on the forum who did not experience ANY negative issues whatsoever. Got a job in my field within a month, apartment, car, basically I continued my life where I left of where I lived before. No real adjustments were necessary, maybe the driving and the size of everything (distances) I needed to get used to.

So for me there are no complaints, love it here, plenty of opportunities and possibilities.

IOS9.2

Star Member
Dec 7, 2015
foodie69 said:
I must probably be the only guy here on the forum who did not experience ANY negative issues whatsoever. Got a job in my field within a month, apartment, car, basically I continued my life where I left of where I lived before. No real adjustments were necessary, maybe the driving and the size of everything (distances) I needed to get used to.

So for me there are no complaints, love it here, plenty of opportunities and possibilities.
Hey foodie,

good to hear some positive feedback on this thread, do you mind sharing what field of work are you from and if you did any pre-planning before you moved to canada in terms of skills up gradation,establishing prior contact, some local support you may have benefited from ....

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
I am in hotel management with a degree from a Swiss hotel management school and 30 years of experience in the hotel business. I was 44 when I came to Canada, yes, I did a lot of networking prior via linkedin and other social media. I also came here several times during the PR application period to meet people and to check whether I like Vancouver..

So when I got here, called up some people to let them know I was here. I received a call one afternoon while shopping downtown Vancouver, the guy wanted to see me straight away, so I went to the interview in shorts and sandals..Got the job on the spot!

Never looked back, did a few more certifications and constantly upgrade my knowledge..

Reactions: pachuxy

jaymax

Star Member
Dec 18, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
09-03-2016
LANDED..........
09-12-2016
foodie69 said:
I am in hotel management with a degree from a Swiss hotel management school and 30 years of experience in the hotel business. I was 44 when I came to Canada, yes, I did a lot of networking prior via linkedin and other social media. I also came here several times during the PR application period to meet people and to check whether I like Vancouver..

So when I got here, called up some people to let them know I was here. I received a call one afternoon while shopping downtown Vancouver, the guy wanted to see me straight away, so I went to the interview in shorts and sandals..Got the job on the spot!

Never looked back, did a few more certifications and constantly upgrade my knowledge..
Thank you for the post Foodie

Among all the gloomy posts you have shown that the approach is the deciding factor. You researched well and networked with people and got settled quickly.

I will try to follow your approach as closely as I can myself though visiting is not possible for me but networking can start right away.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
LokiJr01 said:
Part of migrating to a new country is accepting the fact that you start from scratch. Everyone starts with that. Pride and loneliness are what will stand in your way in succeeding in this venture.

For me, if I have to be a bagger in a grocery shop, why not? It's going to pay the bills. Swallow your pride and take the job. You won't stay being a bagger forever anyway. Keep the dream alive and you will be back to your original job in no time.
No, this mentality results in exploitation of immigrants. If highly skilled are willing to work survival jobs- and many will continue to do so for the rest of their lives- this sets a precedent amongst employers that immigrants are only good enough for that kind of work.

If immigrants had a reputation of being highly employable from day 1, employers would not mistreat them.

There is a difference between starting again in terms of building your social circumstances- house, community etc and in building one's career, and there is no reason as to why an immigrant should not hit the ground running. Indeed I would say that the most successful mentality to hold is to fully expect to hit the ground running, having several back up plans, not moving over your family until you decide that you want to stay etc. There is also a difference between taking casual work to pay the bills in the short term, and stacking shelves for the rest of your life. A highly skilled person should not only be looking for a job, but looking to start a business and create jobs. Someone truly skilled should have no problem doing this.

Pride isn't the problem. The concept of "status" from career is a middle class mentality that pervades mostly in developing countries. In the West, the jobs that are looked down upon in the developing world (e.g. a blacksmith) are well respected. I have no problem working as a labourer but it should be choice rather than being 'forced' to do so because your first choice isn't available- and may never be. In my personal circumstances, I have no problem working as a farm labourer instead of professional work because my end goal involves rural trade. This represents a positive choice rather than one forced upon me. Those other immigrants who are 'struggling' in shops should leave those jobs to the local unemployed youth who need these jobs. Their children will one day be such youth having to compete with immigrants willing to work long hours for a pittance. If an immigrant is still in a survival job for years on end, they should really consider going home. There is nothing wrong with failure- indeed the most successful entrepreneurs are those that accept that 9/10 times their business will fail and they will lose money and time, but it is always a learning experience and we ought to take the positives from it.