+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Difficulties in Canada

johnjkjk

Hero Member
Mar 29, 2016
339
17
NOC Code......
2133
AOR Received.
Dec 2016
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2017 (passed)
VISA ISSUED...
May 2017 (Approved/CoPR Issued)
LANDED..........
Waiting...
KittYLoveCaD said:
I really like this part as it was there in my mind. Thanks bro for these well said lines
In retrospect my post above could be also be seen as a bit harsh, but sometimes it takes a little harsh truth to break the mould. Indeed regardless of our background, we could all do well to regularly challenge ourselves- to break the mould and tread new waters. Have backup plans. Try something new. Start a business. Retrain. Find the creative self in you. Move to a small province. It may be the best thing you ever did.
 

kirtivsingh

Hero Member
Dec 13, 2011
565
53
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
2282
AOR Received.
04-02-2016
Med's Done....
12-02-2016
Passport Req..
03-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2016
LANDED..........
21-08-2016
johnjkjk said:
Most people from the West do not believe in the concept of status derived from career, particularly in modern day western nations as compared to developing countries. The people that do get stuck in the rat race. When did I speak of "climbing the social ladder"? This is a redundant viewpoint. The only ladder to climb is to overcome's one's false sense of pride.

Also note that I make a distinction between skilled labour and unskilled labour, in which latter group falls 'survival jobs' and should be left for unemployed Canadian youth. Most unemployed professional migrants won't take up skilled labour because of a false sense of pride. How many software programmers from India will retrain as a highly skilled farrier in a rural area? They would rather work as a labourer in a warehouse for the rest of their lives, barely surviving, whereas a skilled farrier commands great respect in their community and offers a great standard of living. Most highly educated professionals I know in the West will fight for the chance to retrain in rural skilled labour and enjoy a high quality of life out in the country. Whereas most educated professionals from the East will do survival jobs for the rest of their lives and will convince themselves that they are giving their children a "better opportunity". This is when false pride dictates a false social hierarchy. You really need to get out of your box and see the world for what it is.

Indeed this is a source of conflict between Canadians (and Westerns in general) and immigrants. In small provinces, people don't like immigrants (and even Canadians from urban areas), because they bring with them this false sense of elitism- showing off your car, talking down to people who are in skilled work, boasting about your university education etc. You in particular would not at all be well liked by such people. Unfortunately it is people like you who create a bad impression of immigrants.

Also social hierarchy also doesn't exist everywhere. As I've clearly stated, the concept of "keeping up with the Jones'" is a false middle class mentality. Perhaps when you migrate to Canada, it would be wise to connect with those outside of your comfort group, who can teach you a thing or two about society and mindset regarding respect in doing hard and honest labour. The 1%ers can believe that they want, but why should people aspire to want to be the 1%? Aspiration should be for a fair and equal society. I have no need to aspire to "be someone"- what does that even mean? My sense of pride and happiness is not derived from superficial vanity. And this has nothing to do with race.

As to your final question which you say relates to most migrants, my point was, as long as migrants themselves are pushing the perception that they are only good enough to be taxi drivers, rather than giving the impression that they will be 'viably employed or bust', then employers will continue to exploit them and not respect them. Respect can be earned, certainly, but working for year upon year in a supermarket does not send the message that migrants are strongly aspiring to be gainfully employed. Perception matters.
John I understand why you wrote the above and yes it is harsh.
Although what you said is true in some regard but you are subjecting the whole country with examples of a few.
The mind set of some cultures are different from others but that does not make it wrong.

Your intentions are correct but the language you put in was wrong.
 

Hansdza

Hero Member
Mar 7, 2013
400
19
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RegularGuy said:
Canada is good for -
1- super rich, who can establish business and have cash, business Network and are able to sustain losses for the initial period,
2- intellectually poor and uneducated, who can work any job, they think there pathetic jobs are luxurious when compared to jobs in back home countries.
3- people who work in regulated profession, who have the resources and willpower to get into their regulated professions like doctors, lawyers, dentists and pilots.

Moving here for your kids is not a very wise move. Canadian and American high school culture is very different. Only a few students go on to complete university. Most of the them starts working part time and starts earning a little. Easy money makes them believe education is a waste. In india, any poor individual can go to IITs and AIIMS by studying hard, and because these are highly subsidized by government. In capitalist US and Canada, no poor can go study at such institutes, the tuition runs in around $200k which is beyond the reach of most people. Only well established doctors are able to make their kids doctors. Do your research and make a wise decision. Grass always look greener on the other side.
I hate to say but this is correct. Especially number 2. At one point of time in the future, finding professional jobs or probably even menial jobs will be super difficult in Canada. Job Market remains the same with little growth, while highly educated immigrants keep coming in every year. They need job too. Unemployment rate will increase, yes there will always be subsidy and government grant to support low income earners but the government raises this money from crazy tax that will keep increasing every year.

Oh boy..
 

Hansdza

Hero Member
Mar 7, 2013
400
19
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RegularGuy said:
You are fool leaving a nice paying career heading to Canada. I seriously suggest you to come here on a visitor visa for 6 months before going ahead with moving entirely. Do the cost benefit analysis.
No man, it`s called sacrifice. That`s what parents do for their Children. The question is, "Is Canada the right place to do so"
 

kirtivsingh

Hero Member
Dec 13, 2011
565
53
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
2282
AOR Received.
04-02-2016
Med's Done....
12-02-2016
Passport Req..
03-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2016
LANDED..........
21-08-2016
Hansdza said:
I hate to say but this is correct. Especially number 2. At one point of time in the future, finding professional jobs or probably even menial jobs will be super difficult in Canada. Job Market remains the same with little growth, while highly educated immigrants keep coming in every year. They need job too. Unemployment rate will increase, yes there will always be subsidy and government grant to support low income earners but the government raises this money from crazy tax that will keep increasing every year.

Oh boy..
I kinda disagree.
I got job when I was in final sem of my college.
I know many of my friends did too.

You should be clear in your mind what you are doing. Plan and execute your way up.
Nothing gets handed over on a silver platter.
 

Hansdza

Hero Member
Mar 7, 2013
400
19
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kirtivsingh said:
I kinda disagree.
I got job when I was in final sem of my college.
I know many of my friends did too.

You should be clear in your mind what you are doing. Plan and execute your way up.
Nothing gets handed over on a silver platter.
I got a job at the beginning of my 2nd semester (actually multiple jobs). That was when I was eligible to work off campus. Since then I never stopped working in office environment. I consider myself super lucky coz I know for sure so many of my friends (who graduated from Canadian university could not get a good job. Not because they are stupid but because it is really difficult to find one.
 

kirtivsingh

Hero Member
Dec 13, 2011
565
53
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
2282
AOR Received.
04-02-2016
Med's Done....
12-02-2016
Passport Req..
03-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2016
LANDED..........
21-08-2016
Hansdza said:
I got a job at the beginning of my 2nd semester (actually multiple jobs). That was when I was eligible to work off campus. Since then I never stopped working in office environment. I consider myself super lucky coz I know for sure so many of my friends (who graduated from Canadian university could not get a good job. Not because they are stupid but because it is really difficult to find one.
I strongly disagree. TBH there is no luck. You must have applied for one job which you found was suitable for your competencies, than you gave interview (you must have prepared for it)
The Interviewers liked you and they hired you. I do not understand where lucks comes in this.

It is not about being stupid. IT is more about getting things right at the right time.
 
  • Like
Reactions: hamgha

hamzakhobza

Star Member
May 18, 2016
91
3
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2016
AOR Received.
14-02-2016
Passport Req..
18-11-2016
I came to Canada as an international student and graduated with a business degree. I got a job right after graduation and I've now worked as a Software Developer since graduation by utilizing my programming skills. I do have a minor in computer engineering but that's not even my major.

Canada has a lot of opportunity for people willing to work hard. It's also more important to be good at what you do than to have a degree in it.
 

Hansdza

Hero Member
Mar 7, 2013
400
19
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kirtivsingh said:
I strongly disagree. TBH there is no luck. You must have applied for one job which you found was suitable for your competencies, than you gave interview (you must have prepared for it)
The Interviewers liked you and they hired you. I do not understand where lucks comes in this.

It is not about being stupid. IT is more about getting things right at the right time.
Yes, you are right, I was really prepared since the first day I landed my feet in Canada. Initially I wanted to change my major, but hey.. somehow my senior in school told me the reality of finding jobs in Canada. So I switched it to my major. Time was critical at that time coz I couldn`t change it after certain time. That was luck. I didn`t talk too much with this guy before. but hey suddenly I got this idea from him..

Another luck, my batch was the last one to get double designation. Nobody was aware at that time about the changes and the implications it would bring to our future careers. So many uncertainties surrounding the issue.

Man, I`ve been through so many little holes in my life journey. It`ll be a long and unrelated story with this thread if I tell you. But I know what luck means. And TBH, I need luck more than anything else in this world..

Everyone can spend hundreds and thousands of hours writing resumes and prepare for interviews, at the end of the day it is your luck who land you the job
 

kirtivsingh

Hero Member
Dec 13, 2011
565
53
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
2282
AOR Received.
04-02-2016
Med's Done....
12-02-2016
Passport Req..
03-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2016
LANDED..........
21-08-2016
Hansdza said:
Yes, you are right, I was really prepared since the first day I landed my feet in Canada. Initially I wanted to change my major, but hey.. somehow my senior in school told me the reality of finding jobs in Canada. So I switched it to my major. Time was critical at that time coz I couldn`t change it after certain time. That was luck. I didn`t talk too much with this guy before. but hey suddenly I got this idea from him..

Another luck, my batch was the last one to get double designation. Nobody was aware at that time about the changes and the implications it would bring to our future careers. So many uncertainties surrounding the issue.

Man, I`ve been through so many little holes in my life journey. It`ll be a long and unrelated story with this thread if I tell you. But I know what luck means. And TBH, I need luck more than anything else in this world..

Everyone can spend hundreds and thousands of hours writing resumes and prepare for interviews, at the end of the day it is your luck who land you the job
Everyone have stories and it is the perseverance and hard work and not luck
 

Hansdza

Hero Member
Mar 7, 2013
400
19
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kirtivsingh said:
Everyone have stories and it is the perseverance and hard work and not luck
Perseverance and hard working are just the basics. It`s a no brainer that you need these two as your solid foundation. And on top of it is luck.
 

kirtivsingh

Hero Member
Dec 13, 2011
565
53
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
2282
AOR Received.
04-02-2016
Med's Done....
12-02-2016
Passport Req..
03-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2016
LANDED..........
21-08-2016
Hansdza said:
Perseverance and hard working are just the basics. It`s a no brainer that you need these two as your solid foundation. And on top of it is luck.
You will be surprised to see how many people do not believe in these basics lol
 

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
1,675
258
RegularGuy said:
In india, any poor individual can go to IITs and AIIMS by studying hard, and because these are highly subsidized by government. In capitalist US and Canada, no poor can go study at such institutes, the tuition runs in around $200k which is beyond the reach of most people. Only well established doctors are able to make their kids doctors. Do your research and make a wise decision. Grass always look greener on the other side.
I'm not sure this statement is entirely accurate. Tuition for undergraduate Canadians and PR's in Canada runs from between $6,000 to $13,000 p.a. at most leading universities. Further, there is a lot of financial assistance available for those that need it, ranging from scholarships to awards to low cost student loans funded by the government. Most banks also offer tuition assistance loans. So, university is actually affordable for many, if not most, Canadians.
 

Summerr

Hero Member
Jun 28, 2010
318
8
Ontario
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
4131
App. Filed.......
14 NOV 2013
Doc's Request.
15 May 2014(reminder mail) and 11 June 2014(specifics)
Nomination.....
1 Oct 2013
AOR Received.
7 January 2014
IELTS Request
Not Required
Med's Request
7 January 2014
Interview........
No Interview but Decision Made on July 7
LANDED..........
Inland
This is Canada/ Australia PR not a lottery that is going to change your life in an instant. There are already people living in these countries who graduate/compete for jobs just like in india and China. So when you come here don't expect to get a job offer letter sent to your door step just because you have done Canada a favour by chosing to become its resident. What makes you feel you are more deserving than a guy who has graduated and worked locally for couple of years. Guys, you have to do some research. Please don't just apply blatantly to any opening that you see online. Analyze the opening/ position, get some info about the workplace like what kind is people work there, what their credentials via LinkedIn or similar sites and then prepare your resume tailored to that job posting and apply only if you know you have a chance of at least getting an interview call.

Please grow up let's use our brains.
 

Summerr

Hero Member
Jun 28, 2010
318
8
Ontario
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
4131
App. Filed.......
14 NOV 2013
Doc's Request.
15 May 2014(reminder mail) and 11 June 2014(specifics)
Nomination.....
1 Oct 2013
AOR Received.
7 January 2014
IELTS Request
Not Required
Med's Request
7 January 2014
Interview........
No Interview but Decision Made on July 7
LANDED..........
Inland
54321 said:
are they (local Canadians) approachable and willing to interact with newly arrived immigrants? (no prejudices)
Then why does the Canadian government keep accepting immigrants with education and experience?
Do you seriously doubt their intellect? For every immigrant like you who has no clue what and how to break even in the western workforce they do get immigrants who are smart and have rationale.

Do you decide before hand what your offsprings would become before they are born and even if you do what is the guarantee that they will meet your expectation. Every case is different.