+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conditional Permanent Residency

mojoyugo

Feb 1, 2013
Hi,

My wife recently landed into Canada as a P.R. and I'm in the process of moving my belongings from the US to our home in Canada. I'd like to continue to working for my US employer remotely from Canada on my TN visa. With that being said, to fulfill the requirements of conditional permanent residency of my wife and I living together in Canada, am I allowed to travel to my US employer location for a few days at a time for customer visits, presentations, etc? Will I be violating our conjugal relationship if I were to come into the US office from time to time?

Thanks in advance!

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
mojoyugo said:
Hi,

My wife recently landed into Canada as a P.R. and I'm in the process of moving my belongings from the US to our home in Canada. I'd like to continue to working for my US employer remotely from Canada on my TN visa. With that being said, to fulfill the requirements of conditional permanent residency of my wife and I living together in Canada, am I allowed to travel to my US employer location for a few days at a time for customer visits, presentations, etc? Will I be violating our conjugal relationship if I were to come into the US office from time to time?

Thanks in advance!
As long as it's only a few days and related to work it should be fine. It is when you stay longer in the US than with your spouse in Canada that it could become an issue.

mojoyugo

Feb 1, 2013
Thanks for the response. So it shouldn't be a problem for example if I were to like be home in Canada for 4 days and 3 days at my employer from time to time?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
mojoyugo said:
Thanks for the response. So it shouldn't be a problem for example if I were to like be home in Canada for 4 days and 3 days at my employer from time to time?
If you are talking about every week, that COULD pose a problem for you, but if you are talking occasionally, as in a couple times a year, then no, it shouldn't be a problem.

Millertimez

Jun 12, 2013
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-12-2013
AOR Received.
03-01-2014
File Transfer...
10-01-2014
Med's Done....
28-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2014
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
How about if both spouses cohibit together in the US for a during of 4 months before returning to Canada. Is that considered violating the Conditional Permanent Residency? Would you need to inform them in case they do a quality assurance audit?

Thanks.

jenny12345

Mar 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is fine.The conditional PR only applies if the person being sponsored leaves the relationship.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
jenny12345 said:
It is fine.The conditional PR only applies if the person being sponsored leaves the relationship.
According to the rule it applies even if relationship continues, but they are living apart.

Millertimez said:
How about if both spouses cohibit together in the US for a during of 4 months before returning to Canada. Is that considered violating the Conditional Permanent Residency? Would you need to inform them in case they do a quality assurance audit?

Thanks.
As long as you are cohabiting, it can be anywhere in the world. Doesn't need to be in Canada and no need to inform them.

steerpike

Nov 1, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2012
LANDED..........
03-04-2014
mojoyugo said:
No one knows. The way cond 51 is worded its completely up to the discretion of CIC and there is no "safe" amount of time you can be apart. We will have to wait a few years and see how it is used before we will really be able to know. My feeling is, it will only be used in extreme cases where the couple has split up.

Millertimez

Jun 12, 2013
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-12-2013
AOR Received.
03-01-2014
File Transfer...
10-01-2014
Med's Done....
28-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2014
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
Found this bulletin link on the CIC website which clears things up a bit (posted on June 11, 2014).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob480.asp#sec02.4

2.4 Assessing evidence of compliance of the two-year condition

To maintain their permanent resident status, the sponsored spouse or partner is required to cohabit in a conjugal relationship with their sponsor for a continuous period of two years after the day on which they became a permanent resident.

While the regulations require a “continuous” period of two years of cohabitation, from time to time, one or the other partner may leave the home for work or business travel or family obligations. CIC officers should follow existing guidelines when assessing a period of cohabitation where temporary or short separations have occurred. See OP 2, Section 5.35 for more information.

A conjugal relationship is interpreted as being a relationship where individuals are interdependent and have a significant degree of attachment — financially, socially, emotionally, and physically — where they share household and related responsibilities, and where they have an exclusive relationship; a mutual and continuing commitment to a shared life together. See OP 2, Section 5.35 and IP 8, Section 5.20 for more information.

The sponsored spouse or partner must provide evidence of their compliance with the condition if an officer requests such evidence because they have reason to believe that the sponsored person is not complying or has not complied with the condition (for example, when a tip is received or a CIC or a CBSA officer has information indicating non-compliance), or if requested as part of a random assessment of the overall level of compliance with the condition by the permanent residents who are or were subject to the condition.

steerpike

Nov 1, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2012
LANDED..........
03-04-2014
Millertimez said:
See OP 2, Section 5.35 for more information.
5.35. What is cohabitation?

“Cohabitation” means “living together.” Two people who are cohabiting have combined their affairs and set up their household together in one dwelling. To be considered common-law partners, they must have cohabited for at least one year. This is the standard definition used across the federal government. It means continuous cohabitation for one year, not intermittent cohabitation adding up to one year. The continuous nature of the cohabitation is a universal understanding based on case law.

While cohabitation means living together continuously, from time to time, one or the other partner may have left the home for work or business travel, family obligations, and so on. The separation must be temporary and short.

The following is a list of indicators about the nature of the household that constitute evidence that a couple in a conjugal relationship is cohabiting:
 Joint bank accounts and/or credit cards;
 Joint ownership of residential property;
 Joint residential leases;
 Joint rental receipts;
 Joint utilities accounts (electricity, gas, telephone);
 Joint management of household expenditures;
 Evidence of joint purchases, especially for household items;
 Correspondence addressed to either or both parties at the same address;
 Important documents of both parties show the same address, e.g., identification documents, driver's licenses, insurance polices, etc.;
 Shared responsibility for household management, household chores, etc.;
 Evidence of children of one or both partners residing with the couple;
 Telephone calls.

These elements may be present in varying degrees and not all are necessary to prove cohabitation. This list is not exhaustive; other evidence may be taken into consideration.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Millertimez said:
Found this bulletin link on the CIC website which clears things up a bit (posted on June 11, 2014).
That reflects what others are saying. Cohabitation is a requirement regardless of relationship being genuine, and cohabitation can be anywhere in the world. What nobody knows yet is how strictly or loosely this rule will actually be enforced, since no actual cases have happened yet.

little_apple

Jun 11, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna/Austria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 20, 2013
Doc's Request.
June 4, 2013 & February 18, 2014
AOR Received.
May 5, 2013
File Transfer...
May 27, 2013
Med's Done....
April 4, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 17, 2014
LANDED..........
in Calgary since March 29, 2012. Landed as PR May 3, 2014
My border officer told me that it was okay to be apart for a short time once in a while (not on a regular basis).
If one of us has to leave for a longer time, the other partner has to go with him/her to maintain the common-law status for conditional PR

Calgary_Man

Dec 28, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M/New Delhi
NOC Code......
SPOUSAL VISA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-MARCH-2014
Doc's Request.
NONE
AOR Received.
AOR1- 23-JUNE-2014, AOR2 - 02-JULY-2014, IP - 19-SEPT-2014
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
23-JUNE-2014
Med's Request
FILED WITH APPLICATION
Med's Done....
21 FEB 2014
Interview........
INTERVIEW - WAIVED, DM - 14 OCT, 2014
Passport Req..
13 OCT, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
OCT 21, 2014
LANDED..........
NOV 10, 2014
Question for forum members.
So in Conditional PR, is there a restriction on travel?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Calgary_Man said:
Question for forum members.
So in Conditional PR, is there a restriction on travel?
no, there is no restriction once the pr card arrives. for those requiring visas to enter canada, and they need to travel prior to receiving their card, they will need to apply for a PR travel document. those who are visa exempt can travel with their passport and COPR before the pr card arrives.

as for pr residency requirements, if a couple travels together, then the time spent out of canada counts toward PR requirements. if the applicant travels alone, the time does not count toward PR requirements.

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Were Human......

Yes its perfectly fine to spend time apart, even weeks is fine.....

The CIC are not even going to know anyway.