+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Security Clearance

atlepol

Jun 13, 2018
The lady who interviewed me told me there is a backlog for security clearance given the surge of applications after the rule change. So stay hopeful

Likewise you get your dm soon as well.
It seems like this security screening is case by case basis and only most unfortunate of us got it. My roommate just had the test and he got DM within one day. Here I am now IP 150 days :(

bctech

Jun 26, 2017
It seems like this security screening is case by case basis and only most unfortunate of us got it. My roommate just had the test and he got DM within one day. Here I am now IP 150 days :(
Yeah. It's quite unfortunate. Did you have a lot of travels in the past 5 years?

jameswood2

Star Member
Jul 11, 2018
150 days since the test and still IP , agent told me during the test should be done 3-4 months lol im almost hitting 5m.

capermanet

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
According to my ATIP, Clearances Requested, Security it was left blank, Criminality: Passed.
Prohibition : Not started etc. Does this mean, why I haven't receive citizenship exam yet, could be one of reasons?

Reactions: free_palestinian

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Not sure why anyone is under the impression that security screenings are case by case. Every applicant is subjected to BG checks by CSIS. Depending on the backlog and your personal travel history, information can come slow or fast to CSIS.

ChippyBoy

Dec 5, 2016
Not sure why anyone is under the impression that security screenings are case by case. Every applicant is subjected to BG checks by CSIS. Depending on the backlog and your personal travel history, information can come slow or fast to CSIS.
That's right; every citizenship applicant is background checked by CSIS. What's case-by-case in actuality at the moment is that the IRCC officer who's assigned one's case file can, at any time of her/his choosing during IP, decide to send an inquiry/request to CSIS (e.g., in an urgent processing case) in order to have that applicant's background check bumped up to the top of the pile in CSIS's inbox. So, for otherwise 'straight-shot' cases that are now seemingly endlessly stuck in the CSIS queue, it's increasingly frustrating to see subsequent applicants sailing through the whole process apparently unimpeded. One can only hope that the whole process is above-board.

Last edited:

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
That's right; every citizenship applicant is background checked by CSIS. What's case-by-case in actuality at the moment is that the IRCC officer who's assigned one's case file can, at any time of her/his choosing during IP, decide to send an inquiry/request to CSIS (e.g., in an urgent processing case) in order to have that applicant's background check bumped up to the top of the pile in CSIS's inbox. So, for otherwise 'straight-shot' cases that are now seemingly endlessly stuck in the CSIS queue, it's increasingly frustrating to see subsequent applicants sailing through the whole process apparently unimpeded. One can only hope that the whole process is above-board.
They keep saying it’s case by case, but I know for fact that during my PR application my security check was not started for the first 9 months (based on GCMS report), and once it was started, it was done within one months. I am not sure how the security would be different for citizenship vs PR, but I can only imagine it to be simpler, since my pre-PR background was mostly outside Canada and post-PR mostly in Canada , where everything about me is easily traceable , and shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes to check

robreeves

Jun 24, 2014
They keep saying it’s case by case, but I know for fact that during my PR application my security check was not started for the first 9 months (based on GCMS report), and once it was started, it was done within one months. I am not sure how the security would be different for citizenship vs PR, but I can only imagine it to be simpler, since my pre-PR background was mostly outside Canada and post-PR mostly in Canada , where everything about me is easily traceable , and shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes to check
Have you even been invited to sit your test yet?

Haathee-mera-Saathee

Star Member
Jan 30, 2018
Got this from my MPs office today.
The issue is that I applied for Urgent Processing and have since lodged 2 webforms even asking to be informed if they have decided or not whether to grant me urgent processing.

I had my interview on 19 June and the Officer advised that background checks was the olny thing left.

This government department is unreal!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CIC UPDATES ON AUG. 12, 2018 SEE BELOW:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We can provide you with the following details about the status of application for a Citizenship Adult for XXXXXXXX.

· The application was received at the Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia, on February XX, 2018.

· The application was considered complete and an acknowledgement letter was emailed to the applicant at xxxxx@gamil.com on March 13, 2018.

o If they have not received this letter and are between the ages of 14 to 64, they can find the guide here.

· We recommend that the applicant verifies the e-Client Application Status (e-CAS) online tool regularly to see when a new notice is sent to them.

· The criminality verifications are currently valid.

· The security verifications are in process.

· The immigration verifications have not been initiated.

· As per our current processing times, it may take up to 12 months to finalize the application,

o if the applicant needs to travel during this time, they should apply to renew their permanent resident card if they are eligible.

We hope this information is helpful. If you require more information, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018
I'm glad I found this post, although I've been waiting a bit longer than some of you, It makes feel better to know I'm not the only 1

Arrived in Canada in 2005

I applied in July of 2016 (I procrastinated sending everything in..)

As of September 2018, still "In Process", I've called CIC so many times, I know most people by name (jk), and I've had letters sent to the local office in my city. I've even gone in to the local office to ask and got lucky enough that someone checked my UCI even though they weren't supposed to (they only help people with appointments). That's when I found out they were doing "Clearances through 2nd parties" which neither of us really knew what that meant.

Finally today I decided to google it and here I am and it does sound like they are just massively backed up. Hope this helps :)