+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Background In Progress

ROCK ON

Sep 20, 2021
they are waiting for your security to be complete, without it, they can't move anything further. I also noticed your local office is Scarborough. How did you know it? is it from the test invite email?
Security is already done. Never received Test Email. Order GCMS ATIP and got to know about the processing office.

naten

Feb 20, 2018
Security is already done. Never received Test Email. Order GCMS ATIP and got to know about the processing office.
oh I apologize I meant criminality. It is strange that your local office is Scarborough since u live in Brampton, it should've been mississauga.

Reactions: ROCK ON

ROCK ON

Sep 20, 2021
oh I apologize I meant criminality. It is strange that your local office is Scarborough since u live in Brampton, it should've been mississauga.
Yes i know its strange. But since test and oath ceremony are both online, therefore the processing office doesn’t have to be the one near the place of residence. Application can now be forwarded to any office in Canada (depends on the backlog scenario of the office). When test and oath were in person, it made sense to send the application to the office near to place of residence of the applicant, as it would be easy for the applicant to go and appear for the test and oath ceremony, which were held by the office at a nearby place.

simple2000

Feb 19, 2019
Hello,
I requested urgent processing this month. I see my background check changed to completed in less than 15 days. I have been told that my file is transferred to a local office. Does it mean they process it urgently?

Daasnamher

Star Member
Aug 9, 2021
Hello,
I requested urgent processing this month. I see my background check changed to completed in less than 15 days. I have been told that my file is transferred to a local office. Does it mean they process it urgently?
What were the reasons given for urgent processing?

rj1411

Feb 25, 2021
Hi my background check was shown as completed in April, 2022 along with all others. I had been asked for FP which had been provided. The only item pending since May, 2022 was Oath ceremony, suddenly the back-ground check from 'completed' has gone to 'in-progress', any ideas as to why?

yhome

Star Member
Mar 23, 2016
Hi my background check was shown as completed in April, 2022 along with all others. I had been asked for FP which had been provided. The only item pending since May, 2022 was Oath ceremony, suddenly the back-ground check from 'completed' has gone to 'in-progress', any ideas as to why?
Thanks for sharing. I am little bit confused now! So my notes says "Criminality pending", so does that mean something pending from RCMP or something else?

Reactions: ROCK ON

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
A lot of ppl get confused with this. Background verification is for BOTH. in many cases security takes long time to clear, because it's done by CSIS, CBSA etc.
Criminality is done by RCMP and has a one year validity and gets updated annually and it's very quick gets done online, unless fingerprint was required form the applicant.

In my case Security check took 1.5 year (yes you read right March 2020 - June 2021), during that time I contacted IRCC countless times and they couldn't do anything with my application until Security check is cleared. so if someone stuck with security don't hate on IRCC, they can't process the application with it.

Bottom line if Background in progress it's because either both or one is pending.

hope this clear things.
How do you know when your security screening started? All I know that is in progress as per CSIS. Fingerprints and criminality done in June/July.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Hello,
So this would mean that IRCC can ask CSIS/CBSA to expedite the process. And if it can be expedited, clearly the long security screen delays are not a security matter, but one of a lack of resources or general incompetence to process security screening on time. Thoughts?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
My family members applied (2 adults and 1 child) for citizenship in March 2023. Both got fingerprint request. Spouse has everything passed. Husband still has Background check and Prohibitions in Process.
His fingerprints were received at the same time as spouse in July and next day for spouse the background check got completed.
For husband, they are still reviewing the fingerprint check even though they have already received in July

Confirmed with IRCC call centre that criminality has passed but security is still in progress.
How much time would it take more to pass the security?
Any advise/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

SBU

Star Member
Jan 16, 2021
I recived a response as below . They have mentioed my Kids name along with her Application number in the subject of the meail while they responeded back. My kid is 15 year old.

Thank you for contacting our office. Our records indicate that family Member’s background checks are in verification process. Clearances are mandatory requirement for all applications and need to be valid throughout the process until the day applicant take the oath of citizenship. Once the assessment is conducted, you will be notified by the local Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)

Anyinfo will be appriciated