+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Applications after Bill C-6

Malak_7

Mar 5, 2018
Ottawa
Regarding the language requirement, I came a cross a case today for someone who is born in October 1963, the person received a letter asking them to submit a proof that they meet the language requirement. she thought she is 55 (that is how we count age in our country) and didn't submit it with the original application. Counting the age has always been confusing to me :D

Reactions: anasja2000

light88

Star Member
Jul 14, 2014
need your help please
I sent an application for citizenship on Nov 2017 and havent gotten any AOR yet so after 4 months I decided to applied again March this year and just received AOR for the second application.
My concern is my first application might still be lurking somewhere and that if they ever get to it it will confuse them as they will have duplicate applications under my name. is there any action I should take to clarify this?

PS: I did send an explanation letter with my second application.

Reactions: anasja2000

robreeves

Jun 24, 2014
Sat the test in Edmonton today and passed only for the immigration agent to tell me that she can't make a decision on my application because she is still waiting on some security checks. She explained that this is nothing to worry about and just a formality but i'm curious if anyone else has had the same answer. When questioned she replied, "we just need to make sure that you haven't committed any crimes in other counties since you've been in Canada."

I'm a British born citizen who has been in Canada for the last 5 years so i'm curious as to what other security checks she is waiting on.

Has anyone had any experience with the time frame?

light88

Star Member
Jul 14, 2014
All,
I am again online today just to update you regarding my application and ridiculous experience. It is really quite surprising and also disappointed. (The reason of disappointment is that my application will be processed as per new date of application)

I have applied in December 22,2017 and I waited till March 2018 and did not receive AOR. Then I went to sent Web Form inquiry twice and received a generic reply. Then I went to MP office and MP office followed up with them. Immigration Minister office replied to MP office and in their first email address all the dates were wrong. i.e Application sending and receiving date etc. Then I told to MP office that these all dates or wrong because they are saying we received application on 20 December while I sent application on 22 and received by IRCC office on 27 December. In short they are completely crazy.

Then in frustration I sent out second application package on 10 March,2018.

I received my AOR yesterday and today I checked my online status I found that they have processed my second application package. Very much ridiculous. I do not know how these gentlemen in IRCC office is working ? What protocol they are following ? Seems to me that crazy people are sitting there.

This is what I found on my
"
  1. We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on March 13, 2018.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on April 4, 2018 "
I received AOR for my second application too. I called today to verify what happened to my first application that I sent on November they said they found it but still reviewing the package. I have no clue what they mean by that anyways I am just glad that they opened my second application and sent me AOR because I was tired of waiting.

Reactions: optimistic6

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Sat the test in Edmonton today and passed only for the immigration agent to tell me that she can't make a decision on my application because she is still waiting on some security checks. She explained that this is nothing to worry about and just a formality but i'm curious if anyone else has had the same answer. When questioned she replied, "we just need to make sure that you haven't committed any crimes in other counties since you've been in Canada."

I'm a British born citizen who has been in Canada for the last 5 years so i'm curious as to what other security checks she is waiting on.

Has anyone had any experience with the time frame?
Everyone has background checks conducted on them. Background checks consist of security clearance performed by CSIS, and criminality checks performed by RCMP. In your case, the test was conducted before the checks were complete. That's why the officer cannot make a decision yet, It's normal and nothing to worry about, as long as you have a clean record.

Reactions: robreeves

robreeves

Jun 24, 2014
Everyone has background checks conducted on them. Background checks consist of security clearance performed by CSIS, and criminality checks performed by RCMP. In your case, the test was conducted before the checks were complete. That's why the officer cannot make a decision yet, It's normal and nothing to worry about, as long as you have a clean record.
Awesome!! Thank you for the explanation.

I figured that all that was all done during the initial landing and PR stages but i guess during the time spent in Canada between the start of the PR status and now, they would obviously have to check those dates also.

dsiddiqui

Oct 20, 2017
Please update my status as had my citizenship test on April 5, 2018 and cleared it. Now waiting for the DM followed by oath ceremony invite. can someone update me how soon i will get the DM and the oath ceremony invite.

Seen12

Star Member
Feb 16, 2017
The same for me..after we did the test..the agent asked as to translate the passports and we will receive an email from her to submitting these documents.
The test was in 21 March at Montreal and up till now we didn't receive the email from the agent !!!!
I got the request by mail.. they usually send it quick.. maybe give them a call

optimistic6

Star Member
Jul 21, 2015
I received AOR for my second application too. I called today to verify what happened to my first application that I sent on November they said they found it but still reviewing the package. I have no clue what they mean by that anyways I am just glad that they opened my second application and sent me AOR because I was tired of waiting.
Congrts. What date you sent second application package and what date you received AOR ? Just wana see how long it took in your case.

Monmon24

Star Member
Oct 10, 2017
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
25-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
The due date on the notes doesn't mean much, TBH. It could even take longer than that, but typically doesn't. My checks were complete within a month, despite the due date being set 13 months out. I suppose due dates are a way for IRCC to follow up on pending clearances with the respective agencies. Just my guess.

What I'm trying to say is that, expect your application to take 12 months from the date of delivery. Nothing to worry about at this time. if, for whatever reason, you still don't hear back from IRCC after 12 months, then you can call the call center and they will take some action.

The notes just show which checks are complete and which are pending. There isn't much (sometimes not at all) details about these checks on the notes. That's all I got from mine. Rest wasn't relevant or useful information.
Thanks for Clarification Razerblade :)

optimistic6

Star Member
Jul 21, 2015
need your help please
I sent an application for citizenship on Nov 2017 and havent gotten any AOR yet so after 4 months I decided to applied again March this year and just received AOR for the second application.
My concern is my first application might still be lurking somewhere and that if they ever get to it it will confuse them as they will have duplicate applications under my name. is there any action I should take to clarify this?

PS: I did send an explanation letter with my second application.
No Need to worry about multiple applications. Below is the explanation about multiple Citizenship Applications. Open the link or read below.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/general-file-processing/procedure-multiple-applications.html

Procedures for simultaneous processing of multiple applications with one application in litigation
Clients who are pursuing redress may choose to file a second application while the first is in litigation. In this instance, both proceed normally through their respective processes until a decision is rendered on one of the applications. The CPC-S will ensure the capture is completed for both applications. The CIC office will inform Litigation Management that a second application has been received.

Once a decision is made on an application, the other application must be finalized. The table below shows the process to follow when processing continues on both applications.

If the applicant is successful on the first application
  • then the first application will be processed to ceremony;
  • and the second application is not processed to completion. The file is retired and the Right of Citizenship Fee is refunded.
If the applicant is not successful on the first application
  • then the first application is returned to the CPC-S for retirement;
  • and the second application continues to be processed.
If the second application is processed BEFORE litigation is completed on the first application, and the second application is successful
  • then the second application is finalized through to the oath;
  • and the local office advises Litigation Management that citizenship has been granted.
If the second application is processed BEFORE litigation is completed on the first application, and the second application is also refused
  • then the second application is finalized (a refusal/non-approval letter is sent);
  • the local office advises Litigation Management that the second application has been refused; and
  • the litigation process on the first application continues.

LordVoldemort

Oct 8, 2017
Hey fam

Application sent: October 11, 2017
Application delivered: October 13, 2017
AOR: December 15, 2017
IP: January 23, 2018
FP request: February 8, 2018
FP done: February 13, 2018

I'm wondering is FP request has any affect on the process time, and when do you think I can possibly get the test invite?

I know it's vague and nobody really knows but Vancouver office doesn't seem to be so slow, my application is one of the only one taking so long :/:/

Paulson

Star Member
May 3, 2017
Thanks a lot - so it gives me a peace of mind to take FP on Apr 23rd upon return to Windsor remaining within IRCC deadline of April 26th.

Can someone update my status on FP requirement as well please.
I called RCMP Windsor for FP Appointment but was told that I needed to reach out to Commissionaires for the needful since RCMP Windsor was not doing FP anymore.
Is it correct that RCMP Windsor dies not do FP - comment from Windsor applicants here is requested please.