+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born to a Canadian Citizen outside Canada

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LazyMonkey said:
How can I apply for my son temporary passport. I need instructions please. My wife almost got the visa but son citizenship is still in process. Thanks
You have to apply at the embassy showing that you have already applied for his citizenship certificate but have urgent need to travel.

omar mrls

Jun 12, 2015
My Problem: application for proof of citizenship.
I apply for proof of citizenship for my daughter, My daughter born in China on February 17/2012 , we applied for her proof of citizenship on November 23/2012, Three years later, all this time I been asking about my application and they said just check in the web page with your Unique Client Identifier (UCI). How your application is going, but this number never bring any information, a few times the Shanghai consulate said that my application is different and complicate and had to be send to a different department, in Sydney, Canada.
We were together for 4 year when my daughter born, China have rules about bird without government permit, people have to be marry and ask for a bird permit.
In my case we have the baby without the permit, late on we went to applied for her birth certificate, and in that moment the certificate was denied.
The proof of citizenship was fil with the birth record from the hospital authenticated by a public notary and without birth certificate,
After 3 they ask us to had a DNA test to prove that the girl is my daughter, the test became positive, she is my legitimate daughter. That was January 2 today is June 12/2015.
What else do you want?
You said check processing time; there you are.
Total processing time

5 months.
Note: If you live outside Canada and outside the United States and are applying through a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate, add an additional 3 to 4 months to the total processing time..
If you are applying on behalf of a minor child residing outside Canada and outside the United States and the application is submitted directly to the Case Processing Center in Sydney, Nova Scotia, add an additional 6 to 8 months to the total processing time.
For more information: If it has been longer than the time shown above since you applied, and you live:
• outside Canada and outside the United States, you may contact the office where you submitted your application.
It mean processing time like mine is 16 months, but right now is more than 3 years and 7 months..mean 43 months include the 5 months for the DNA test.
Now what is their decision????????

Apr 10, 2014
shevchenkoandrey said:
I want to get an update on this. I am canadian citizen and have a son born outside of canada. He is 7 months old now. I have sponsored my wife who is now permanent resident. They are both in russia right now and i am in canada. Can anyone tell me if this temporary passport is still valid. If yes, will it be possible to bring my son over here on temporary passport while we are waiting for his proof of citiEnship? Thanks
Anyone can answer that? I need to see if that's possible

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yes, you get a limited validity Canadian passport for a child under the age of 2 who has a Certificate of Citizenship application submitted.

omar mrls

Jun 12, 2015
My Problem: application for proof of citizenship.
I apply for proof of citizenship for my daughter, My daughter born in China on February 17/2012 , we applied for her proof of citizenship on November 23/2012, Three years later,

I am Canadian citizen, I want an update in my daughter case (application)

fatima haider

Star Member
Feb 1, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25feb, 2013
AOR Received.
27thjuly 2013
Med's Request
19th feb 2015
Med's Done....
3rd march 2015
Interview........
19th march 2015 (cleared alhumduliilah)
Passport Req..
19th march 2015 got visa on spot
VISA ISSUED...
19th march 2015
UPDATE: I had received my son's passport after exactly 6 weeks. Thanx alot everyone for help.

Jade2279

Mar 9, 2015
Hi Everyone -

First time posting (hopefully, I'm not being redundant):
American mother, Naturalized-Canadian Father. Infant son born in Los Angeles, CA (mid-June 2015). Getting documents ready to apply for Son's Proof of Canadian Citizenship through dad. Purchased one-way plane ticket home to Quebec in mid-October 2015. Documents required to submit to Sydney, NS: Son's US birth certificate, Son's US passport, father's Canadian Citizenship card, mother's CA driver's license/US passport (2nd form of ID). Parent's marriage certificate (just because), Son's SSN card? Anything else I might need/should include?

Would an explanation for infant son's health coverage (RAMQ) fall under "Urgent Processing" fly with CIC? Or at the very least, worth a shot? They can only deny it, right? Once I receive an acknowledgement of receipt for Citizenship app, can I then apply for his Limited Validity Passport since we have tickets home to Quebec in Oct 2015? And WHERE do I send the LVP application?...to my understanding, I can fill out a regular child passport application for him.

Besides acknowledgement of citizenship app, our travel itinerary, what other docs will I need to submit along with the passport application? Again, WHERE do I submit everything to? Canadian Consulate in Los Angeles? Those folks there won't even speak to me because I am not Canadian citizen...P.S. husband is in QC, not currently in LA with us.

thanks in advance

omar mrls

Jun 12, 2015
Hello every body, I got a good news yesterday, I receive an email said that my daughter prove of citizenship papers are ready for me to pick them up, extremity happy.....

Hello121

Jan 6, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2011
AOR Received.
March 2011
Med's Done....
expired, need a redo
Interview........
October 4th, 2012 --REFUSED with letter on Nov 8th 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Won appeal 8/15
canuck_in_uk said:
Yes, you get a limited validity Canadian passport for a child under the age of 2 who has a Certificate of Citizenship application submitted.
I didn't know this. Thank you so much, canuck in uk! We've been waiting 20 months thus far.

Jade2279

Mar 9, 2015
Hi

Can anyone help answer my original post #621? Getting my 6 wk old son's US passport done now. Once I have the passport in hand, (applying for proof of CC): does Sydney, NS require ORIGINAL documents: i.e. US passport, Birth certificate, Canadian father's citizenship card, marriage license? Usually, how long does it take Sydney to send back a "proof of applying for CC" so I can apply for his Temp LVP at the Canadian Consulate (Los Angeles) with travel itinerary (Oct 2015).

Thanks again!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Jade2279 said:
Hi

Can anyone help answer my original post #621? Getting my 6 wk old son's US passport done now. Once I have the passport in hand, (applying for proof of CC): does Sydney, NS require ORIGINAL documents: i.e. US passport, Birth certificate, Canadian father's citizenship card, marriage license? Usually, how long does it take Sydney to send back a "proof of applying for CC" so I can apply for his Temp LVP at the Canadian Consulate (Los Angeles) with travel itinerary (Oct 2015).

Thanks again!
Originals are not required. Photocopies are only needed. When you submit copies of US passport, make sure to include copy of page 27 as well. You will notice on bio page of us passport at bottom to "see page 27". CIC need to see what's on page 27 even though it's a empty page.

Jade2279

Mar 9, 2015
Hi Screech339,

Thanks for replying back. Looks like it's travel season, so my locate post office/passport facility admin mentioned that it would take 4-6wks for my son's US passport to come back. I can't/don't want to wait that long to submit his proof of CC application. I'm taking my 6 wk old son to the DMV and getting him a gov't issued ID card with his photo on it. I can't imagine CIC not accepting that as his "one photo" identification, right? DMV ID cards takes approx 7-10 days to receive vs. 4-6wks. Timeline-wise, much more feasible. Secondly, I'm thinking once I have all the copied and certified docs, I would then package everything up and send it directly to my Canadian husband in QC so he signs off on the application b/c we still need one very crucial documentation...his certified copy of his citizenship card. Also, bc of our son will only be 4mos old by the time we arrive in QC (October), I am also pushing for Urgent Processing base solely on medical/health reasons...he'll need his 6mos vaccinated shots, etc. QC does have a 3mos waiting period for all residents to obtain RAMQ (health card). Any thoughts? Thanks!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Jade2279 said:
Hi Screech339,

Thanks for replying back. Looks like it's travel season, so my locate post office/passport facility admin mentioned that it would take 4-6wks for my son's US passport to come back. I can't/don't want to wait that long to submit his proof of CC application. I'm taking my 6 wk old son to the DMV and getting him a gov't issued ID card with his photo on it. I can't imagine CIC not accepting that as his "one photo" identification, right? DMV ID cards takes approx 7-10 days to receive vs. 4-6wks. Timeline-wise, much more feasible. Secondly, I'm thinking once I have all the copied and certified docs, I would then package everything up and send it directly to my Canadian husband in QC so he signs off on the application b/c we still need one very crucial documentation...his certified copy of his citizenship card. Also, bc of our son will only be 4mos old by the time we arrive in QC (October), I am also pushing for Urgent Processing base solely on medical/health reasons...he'll need his 6mos vaccinated shots, etc. QC does have a 3mos waiting period for all residents to obtain RAMQ (health card). Any thoughts? Thanks!
DMV ID card is fine for CIC. As long it is an government issued photo ID, it's okay.

As for urgent processing for CC, I suppose issuing medical / health may grant you that. Not 100% sure. However if vaccination is an concern, you can pay for the vaccine yourself if the newborn is not covered by health plan when needed.