+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born to a Canadian Citizen outside Canada

maddyd2000

Star Member
May 27, 2015
Hello leon...the sponsorship application of my 3 year old child and my husband is already in process now and we intend to move to canada.
My question again is as soon as we land i can apply for my 3 year old's passport ? Are there any other requirements to be met ? Hoping we get through the process as i have absolutely no idea about all of it!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
maddyd2000 said:
Hello leon...the sponsorship application of my 3 year old child and my husband is already in process now and we intend to move to canada.
My question again is as soon as we land i can apply for my 3 year old's passport ? Are there any other requirements to be met ? Hoping we get through the process as i have absolutely no idea about all of it!
Im afraid you have no choice but to wait until child have citizenship certificate first before child can get Canadian Passport.

There is a limited Canadian passport available for those who submitted citizenship application but they are available only for 2 years old and younger. Your child is 3 years old.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
maddyd2000 said:
Okay so how long will it take to get the certificate and then eventually the passport ?
Are you from a visa exempt country? Your child can still come to Canada on native country passport if visa exempt. Then you can change address to Canada once you are here and inform CIC of canadian address.

maddyd2000

Star Member
May 27, 2015
My child has a pakistani passport i dont think ita visa exempt, can my child travel on hid pakistani passport while we have applied for his canadian certificate of citizenship or are we required to stay in canada for that period of time

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
maddyd2000 said:
My child has a pakistani passport i dont think ita visa exempt, can my child travel on hid pakistani passport while we have applied for his canadian certificate of citizenship or are we required to stay in canada for that period of time
The airline won't let your child board the plane with the Pakistani passport (since it's not visa exempt). I think you'll have to wait until your child has a valid Canadian passport before you'll be able to travel.

noolan

Star Member
Apr 1, 2009
Dear All,

I have complicated and perhaps unique Problem.

I became Canadian Citizen in 2014 ( originally from Pakistan) . Wife is Hong Kong national. My Daughter was born in June 2015 in HK.
We got her Hong Kong Permanent Identity card for visa free travel to HK. Daughter's National Identity card for Pakistan that allows her visa free entry to Pakistan will be ready in 3 weeks time.
we want to travel to Pakistan to visit my parents in first week of September.
I want to apply for her Canadian passport and it says we need to have citizenship certificate that takes 14 months ??? ??? ??? ???
Canadain or Pakistani passport seems impossible to get in this short time. So the last option we have is to apply for her HK Passport( Takes two weeks).
I know Canada/ Pakistan allow dual nationality.
Does any one have any info about hong kong ? I am getting conflicted info.
Should we apply HK Passport, travel on that to Pakistan and Canada? and apply for her Canadian citizenship/ passport while in Canada? We will be travelling back to Canada in March 2016 where I have full time job, house and everything.
Basically we want her to have Canadian citizenship with visa free travel to HK and Pakistan.
I am lost.
can any one please help?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
maddyd2000 said:
Applying for a Canadian citizenship certificate is for people who are already citizens, say if he had the right to citizenship from birth, you would apply for that. What you need to apply for for him is grant of citizenship, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/minors.asp

I can not tell you how long it would take. For adults, it's taking up to a year but for a child, it may be faster since they do not have to verify that he meets the residency requirements or check his criminal record.

Once he gets his citizenship, you can apply for a passport within a couple of days. If you pay for urgent service, you can have the passport the next day.

If would not be wise to travel until he has his Canadian passport because you may have a problem returning.

noolan

Star Member
Apr 1, 2009
Thanks Leon for your prompt reply. We are in Hong Kong as my daughter was born here.Can we apply for the Canadian passport from here and can we have it if we pay the urgent fees?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Leon said:
Applying for a Canadian citizenship certificate is for people who are already citizens, say if he had the right to citizenship from birth, you would apply for that. What you need to apply for for him is grant of citizenship, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/minors.asp
Noolan became a naturalized Canadian in 2014 and his daughter was born in 2015, so she is a Canadian citizen already.

noolan said:
Thanks Leon for your prompt reply. We are in Hong Kong as my daughter was born here.Can we apply for the Canadian passport from here and can we have it if we pay the urgent fees?
As your child is already a Canadian citizen, you need to apply for the Certificate of Citizenship. Because she is under the age of 2, you can apply for a limited validity Canadian passport with proof of imminent travel once you've submitted the Certificate application.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
noolan said:
Sorry for the confusion. My reply was for maddy2000 but I missed including a quote. I've fixed that now. You posted just as I was writing my reply to her.

As for your case, I have found somewhere that Hong Kong allows dual for babies who are born with it. You would also have the option of applying for a Canadian citizenship certificate and at the same time apply for a temporary passport for your child based on urgent need to travel. However, you would have to prove your urgent need to travel and it still might take longer than getting a Hong Kong passport. Or you try both at the same time and see what happens.

noolan

Star Member
Apr 1, 2009
Thank you so much Leon and Canuck_in_uk. That is what exactly I will do. Will apply for her limited validity Canadian Passport along with her citizenship certificate and HK Passport.

ziyakhanam

Jul 26, 2015
Hi,

My wife born in india and she is now 33 yrs old.
her father also born in india and moved to canada alone when she was minor. he got canadian citizenship when his daughter(my wife) was 5yrs old. My wife's father never applied for my wife's citizen ship and she have not visited canada at all.
is it possible for my wife to apply now for canadian citizenship using her father reference.

plz suggest.
thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ziyakhanam said:
Hi,

My wife born in india and she is now 33 yrs old.
her father also born in india and moved to canada alone when she was minor. he got canadian citizenship when his daughter(my wife) was 5yrs old. My wife's father never applied for my wife's citizen ship and she have not visited canada at all.
is it possible for my wife to apply now for canadian citizenship using her father reference.

plz suggest.
thanks
No. If he had been a citizen when she was born, she would have been a citizen. As this was not the case, he would have had to sponsor her for PR when she was a child and then he could have applied for her citizenship.

You can generally not sponsor your children for PR after they reach adulthood. There are a couple of ways though. One would be if her father has no family in Canada at all, no spouse or children here, and no other close relatives elsewhere the he could sponsor such as his parents, he could sponsor your wife as one relative allowed to join him in Canada.

Another way would be if she has skills, apprenticeship or education and he happens to live in Manitoba, she can get points under their provincial nominee program if he supports her application and this could enable her to apply for PR. With a PR for herself and family, she could move to Canada and then you would have to spend 4 years before you can apply for citizenship.