+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing DLI before or after arrival? (Urgent)

anon_user_97

Apr 17, 2022
Hey,

I applied for study visa 15 days ago. The application is under process. I applied for for masters at uni in Quebec. Recently I got an LOA from a college (graduate certificate) in Toronto. Toronto was my first preference.
Should I withdraw my visa application and file a new one? Or wait for this to approve and the file a new one? I am still outside Canada.
I have heard some say that withdrawing visa has negative impact.
What would be best and safest way?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hey,

I applied for study visa 15 days ago. The application is under process. I applied for for masters at uni in Quebec. Recently I got an LOA from a college (graduate certificate) in Toronto. Toronto was my first preference.
Should I withdraw my visa application and file a new one? Or wait for this to approve and the file a new one? I am still outside Canada.
I have heard some say that withdrawing visa has negative impact.
What would be best and safest way?
You don't have to withdraw. Just send (via webform) your new LOA and a motivation for why you are switching DLI.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Have you tried this approach?
I have heard people say that their visas got rejected/on hold when they tried this method
I did not need to try this approach as my situation did not require it.

This is the approach given by IRCC themselves. You will find the advisory on their website if you take the time to look.

Jibraan

May 9, 2022
Hi.
My wife got her study permit but my open work permit was refused brcause the college my wife chose did not fit the category ect(private college)
So i search for a public college for may intake because i thought she could just switch but what am reading is that you need to be actively studying then you can switch.
My wife not yet studying because the course start on 16 May and the public college which Wee applied started on the 6th May.
Cab she start and switch afterwards?

Jibraan

May 9, 2022
Hi.
My wife got her study permit but my open work permit was refused because the college my wife chose did not fit the category as it was a private college.
So i search for a public college for may 2022 intake because i thought she could just switch directly but what am reading on ircc is that she need to apply new study permit and i am really confused. It says you need to be actively studying then you can switch.
My wife not yet studying because the course start on 16 May and the public college which We applied started on the 6th May.
Can she start and switch afterwards?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hi.
My wife got her study permit but my open work permit was refused because the college my wife chose did not fit the category as it was a private college.
So i search for a public college for may 2022 intake because i thought she could just switch directly but what am reading on ircc is that she need to apply new study permit and i am really confused. It says you need to be actively studying then you can switch.
My wife not yet studying because the course start on 16 May and the public college which We applied started on the 6th May.
Can she start and switch afterwards?
No. Unfortunately she will have to apply for a new study permit to change DLI.

Bk_98213

Aug 11, 2022
You need a new study permit if you want to change schools now. IRCC changed rules and you need to be ”actively” studying in the university attached to your study permit. So complete a semester or year at the current school and then change schools.
one whole year?
can i not change after landing??

Bk_98213

Aug 11, 2022
You need to be actively studying at current DLI to change to other, minimum a semester
Ok if we change after a semester, what about the courses we took and fees we paid? does it go to waste?

Moreover, if i do not want to change my DLI after landing in Canada,
Can I at least change my program of study (for example from project management graduate certificate) to (supply chain management graduate certificate)?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Ok if we change after a semester, what about the courses we took and fees we paid? does it go to waste?

Moreover, if i do not want to change my DLI after landing in Canada,
Can I at least change my program of study (for example from project management graduate certificate) to (supply chain management graduate certificate)?
I cant comment on what goes to waste, its a ircc guideline to follow. Thank you

Bk_98213

Aug 11, 2022
I cant comment on what goes to waste, its a ircc guideline to follow. Thank you
Can i change my course within the same DLI before classes resume provided that there are seats available?

for example if i'm enrolled in supply chain managment graduate certificate and i want to change to project management graduate certificate within same college (for example humber), is it possible???

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Can i change my course within the same DLI before classes resume provided that there are seats available?

for example if i'm enrolled in supply chain managment graduate certificate and i want to change to project management graduate certificate within same college (for example humber), is it possible???
You can.