+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing DLI before or after arrival? (Urgent)

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So that means i can still use my previous admission and this visa right because i haven’t travel yet
Thought you said the admission letter expired? You may need a new LOA and proof of attendance (tuition paid, registration etc.). You enter with proof that you are attending that school. Attend it for one semester and then change schools for the next semester.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Because i have notify them through DLI transfer
I understand now but hope notifying Ircc through DLI won’t ruin the plan ?
How did you notify them. You have a study permit for your original DLI. You have to study there first. If you have no plans to study there then you need a new study permit before you enter Canada. If you come to Canada, you study at the DLI on your permit and then change after a semester. You cannot just change DLI now.

Not sure what you mean by ruining the plan.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I understand now but hope notifying Ircc through DLI won’t ruin the plan ?
you DO NOT understand. The DLI transfer is only available AFTER you have actively studied with your study permit at the original DLI.

You hasn't entered yet and have not studied at the original DLI on your study permit.
You need a NEW study permit for your NEW DLI.

Reactions: Naturgrl

dva1

Jul 4, 2023
Well, we know the rules mentioned on IRCC website. They mentioned we need to re-apply for a new SP if we are outside of Canada and change the DLI.
Does anybody has seen any reliable news or know someone whose SP or PGWP was rejected because of changing the DLI after landing and before starting his/her old school?

RaiyanSS

Jul 14, 2023
Hi everyone, I came across this post and I thought I'll take my chances since I'm in a similar situation.

I had initially applied to the University Of Alberta for the Fall 2023 term however, my offer was revoked since I did not meet the Mathematics requirements. They informed me in May when the deadline to accept in other universities had already passed. Hence, I had decided to re-apply for the January 2024 term to a few universities in Ontario and BC.

My application for the study permit had already been approved and I had received my passport back even before I was informed about my offer being revoked By UAlberta. I have read multiple things online and was unsure whether I could just change my DLI on the online account or if I have to re-apply for a new study permit. My main concern is the processing time, since I expect to receive acceptances no earlier than October and I would only have around two months to get a new study permit. My intention is clear and I honestly just want everything to be smooth.

I would greatly appreciate if someone could guide me or share their experience if they were in a similar situation.

Thank you!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone, I came across this post and I thought I'll take my chances since I'm in a similar situation.

I had initially applied to the University Of Alberta for the Fall 2023 term however, my offer was revoked since I did not meet the Mathematics requirements. They informed me in May when the deadline to accept in other universities had already passed. Hence, I had decided to re-apply for the January 2024 term to a few universities in Ontario and BC.

My application for the study permit had already been approved and I had received my passport back even before I was informed about my offer being revoked By UAlberta. I have read multiple things online and was unsure whether I could just change my DLI on the online account or if I have to re-apply for a new study permit. My main concern is the processing time, since I expect to receive acceptances no earlier than October and I would only have around two months to get a new study permit. My intention is clear and I honestly just want everything to be smooth.

I would greatly appreciate if someone could guide me or share their experience if they were in a similar situation.

Thank you!
If not planning to attend U of A, you need to apply for a new study permit.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Thank you!
There are two scenarios:

1) You change programs but not schools and still attend UAlberta - you can use your current study permit
2) You change DLIs - you must apply for a new study permit

It sounds like the second scenario is the one that applies to you. So you would be required to apply for a new study permit.

RaiyanSS

Jul 14, 2023
I didn’t expect to get replies so soon. Thanks a lot guys!
Just one more thing. When would you suggest I should apply for the new study permit? Should I wait till October?
My first one was approved in about a month and a half, this time I don’t even need biometrics since I got it done already.

Once again, I really appreciate the help :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I didn’t expect to get replies so soon. Thanks a lot guys!
Just one more thing. When would you suggest I should apply for the new study permit? Should I wait till October?
My first one was approved in about a month and a half, this time I don’t even need biometrics since I got it done already.

Once again, I really appreciate the help :)
Apply for the new study permit as soon as you are accepted into the new program and have the acceptance letter from your new school. You cannot apply until you have the new acceptance letter.

Reactions: YVR123 and RaiyanSS

damini090

Aug 18, 2023
Hey i have one question.
I am from India. I got my visa, but my college refused to enroll me. so I got an offer from another college. and changed my DLI in gc key. So I am flying tomorrow. Is it possible they can refuse me to enter Canada?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hey i have one question.
I am from India. I got my visa, but my college refused to enroll me. so I got an offer from another college. and changed my DLI in gc key. So I am flying tomorrow. Is it possible they can refuse me to enter Canada?
Yes. but I guess it's too late. You cannot change your DLI before attending the one origianlly grant for the study permit.

mile80

Star Member
Jun 1, 2023
Hey i have one question.
Hi... how was your arriving? Have you got your study permit? Please share your experience

Genie052217

Oct 19, 2023
Hi. Recently, I successfully completed my one-year program, and in continuation of my academic journey, I have enrolled in another program, January 2024 intake. However, my visa extension/study permit is currently under process.

Considering the circumstances, I am contemplating a potential change of Designated Learning Institution (DLI). I would greatly appreciate your guidance and advice on whether such a transition would be feasible and permissible given the ongoing visa extension process.