+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing DLI before or after arrival? (Urgent)

Neg123

Nov 15, 2021
so in case, if I apply for a study permit now could I enter Canada next week ( with a visa that I already have) and wait for my new SP?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
so in case, if I apply for a study permit now could I enter Canada next week ( with a visa that I already have) and wait for my new SP?
Depends, you may be asked upon entry for proof of payment and enrolment (class schedule) for the school in Manitoba because that is the school listed on your permit.

Reactions: Neg123

goku0033

Dec 1, 2021
Hey I’m here in Canada atm. I came here in September to go to Niagara college in Ontario but then I changed my course to RRC in manitoba that starts in January. I put in a DLI transfer request and I never received any follow up emails. So I also put in a web form and never got a reply for that either. For some reason my Student permit is still appearing valid and unchanged. I have successfully withdrawn and received refund from Niagara and got admitted to RRC with a LOA.
I didn’t know about the rule change until today. My agent didn’t either and he only heard about it today. He’s unsure of what I should do and so am I. I only have one month left before classes start and does anyone know what I should do in order to start my classes on Jan. Or do you think I won’t be able to and has to return home? I’m confused and I hope someone can help.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hey I’m here in Canada atm. I came here in September to go to Niagara college in Ontario but then I changed my course to RRC in manitoba that starts in January. I put in a DLI transfer request and I never received any follow up emails. So I also put in a web form and never got a reply for that either. For some reason my Student permit is still appearing valid and unchanged. I have successfully withdrawn and received refund from Niagara and got admitted to RRC with a LOA.
I didn’t know about the rule change until today. My agent didn’t either and he only heard about it today. He’s unsure of what I should do and so am I. I only have one month left before classes start and does anyone know what I should do in order to start my classes on Jan. Or do you think I won’t be able to and has to return home? I’m confused and I hope someone can help.
Your situation is tricky since you have already completed the online DLI transfer via your GCkey, after you were physically issued your SP at the border. There's no going back on that now. You can only hope and pray that your SP continues to be valid, and that it does not affect your future SP extension or your PGWP, as you clearly flouted the current rule even if innocently.

I'll advice that perhaps, request GCMS note against your UCI (the one used for your SP application). Don't provide your SP application number in the request, that way every correspondence against your UCI will be retrieved and sent. That might give you an idea if any adverse notes were made against your study permit after you changed your DLI.

Good luck.

goku0033

Dec 1, 2021
Your situation is tricky since you have already completed the online DLI transfer via your GCkey, after you were physically issued your SP at the border. There's no going back on that now. You can only hope and pray that your SP continues to be valid, and that it does not affect your future SP extension or your PGWP, as you clearly flouted the current rule even if innocently.

I'll advice that perhaps, request GCMS note against your UCI (the one used for your SP application). Don't provide your SP application number in the request, that way every correspondence against your UCI will be retrieved and sent. That might give you an idea if any adverse notes were made against your study permit after you changed your DLI.

Good luck.
What’s a GCMS note and how do I request that? Do you think I should maybe hire a lawyer or someone to look into my case and is it really going to affect my PGWP?

Neg123

Nov 15, 2021

Good luck.
Hello, could you please explain more about your suggestion to request GCMS note? I’m facing the same situation.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
What’s a GCMS note and how do I request that? Do you think I should maybe hire a lawyer or someone to look into my case and is it really going to affect my PGWP?
Hello, could you please explain more about your suggestion to request GCMS note? I’m facing the same situation.
You can google GCMS notes and how to obtain it from outside Canada. Loads of posts on this forum to guide you as well.

Neg123

Nov 15, 2021
Thank you so much, I already searched for that and I’ve got good information, but my question is how GCMS request note could help me regarding my SP status?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Thank you so much, I already searched for that and I’ve got good information, but my question is how GCMS request note could help me regarding my SP status?
Every webform/communication you made to IRCC regarding an application will be in the notes, that way, you can see if your DLI transfer was noted. Also, any additional notations made by VO will also be in there.

Alternatively, you can keep calling IRCC to speak to an agent and ask them to confirm the DLI recorded on your study permit.

goku0033

Dec 1, 2021
Google “Order GCMS notes” and pay the fees to order them. You will get current information from VO in your file.
There are multiple agents who offer GCMS notes and multiple rates and then there is the one from IRCC the right to information act thing which costs $5 and 30 days for answer. Is that the safest and best option I have or do anyone have a different recommendation for a faster safer note?

goku0033

Dec 1, 2021

Good luck.
You said don’t provide the SP application number, but is it possible to submit the request without providing that information? And if it is a must to provide my application number, should I put it in? Will it affect my application negatively by any chance?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
You said don’t provide the SP application number, but is it possible to submit the request without providing that information? And if it is a must to provide my application number, should I put it in? Will it affect my application negatively by any chance?
I think most of your questions will be answered if you do your research. I explained why I suggested you use your UCI number instead of your SP application number - so that every record that IRCC has for you will be provided (in case your interactions post SP approval is not lodged against your application number, as that is already closed). If you want though, you can include your application number.

Requesting GCMS will not adversely affect you in any way. It's your right as an applicant.

DavidMF

Star Member
Oct 15, 2019
Hey, do you have any updates on your research? Or the GCMS notes?