+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CELPIP test scores so ridiculous

gadhvibhargav

Feb 10, 2016
Okay, I thought I would follow up here. So my husband and I spent $50 on the study guides for the Celpip and took the test again. My husband did very well this time and I, again, got only an 8 on the Writing section. I, again, asked for reevaluation. Since my husband is the main applicant, this is okay, but I am still upset about this. I studied their guides and did what they said to do, plus I am a native English speaker. I believe their instructions are not clear about what they are really looking for. They want something someone would hand into a teacher for a paper in High School, not examples of real letters or emails that you would write.

Scores first time: After 1st Reevaluation: Scores Second Time:

Me:
L12.........................L12.....................................L12
R11.........................R11....................................R11
W8..........................W8.....................................W8
S12.........................S12....................................S12

Husband:
L12........................L12.....................................L12
R12.......................R12.....................................R12
W7........................W8......................................W11
S12.......................S12.....................................S12

I took the exam thrice and with every attempt, although I improved on listening and reading, writing, just like you, never moved to 9 from 8. I too spent around 75 bucks on its study materials. It seems that CELPIP is very strict in marking the writing responses, which makes no sense because I know for sure that I improved my writing with every test but the score still stayed 8. IELTS is a way better choice than CELPIP, in my experience, if you can take it.

Reactions: CANADA2002 and skye

Youthberry

May 12, 2016
Okay, I thought I would follow up here. So my husband and I spent $50 on the study guides for the Celpip and took the test again. My husband did very well this time and I, again, got only an 8 on the Writing section. I, again, asked for reevaluation. Since my husband is the main applicant, this is okay, but I am still upset about this. I studied their guides and did what they said to do, plus I am a native English speaker. I believe their instructions are not clear about what they are really looking for. They want something someone would hand into a teacher for a paper in High School, not examples of real letters or emails that you would write.

Scores first time: After 1st Reevaluation: Scores Second Time:

Me:
L12.........................L12.....................................L12
R11.........................R11....................................R11
W8..........................W8.....................................W8
S12.........................S12....................................S12

Husband:
L12........................L12.....................................L12
R12.......................R12.....................................R12
W7........................W8......................................W11
S12.......................S12.....................................S12

We can rescore twice??

skye

Star Member
Nov 3, 2010
We took the test twice. The first time we asked for reevaluation. That's why there are three scores. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

CANADA2002

Apr 24, 2018
Agree with you completely. They are just making money on us. Unfortunately, I can not take the other test and have to stick with this one. I had three attempts and got the same score for my speaking part. I bought their useless ebooks and actually incorporated into my speech all their suggestions. For now, I am just preparing for my different exam and will try again later. Cheers, you are not alone.

Melchett

Star Member
Nov 2, 2018
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
16-07-2018
Obviously people are more likely to report a negative experience, but I for one don't think CELPIP is a "money-making device" at all. My experience was very positive- the test seemed reasonable, as did my results.

That said, the speaking part was the most challenging. One of the questions was something like "Should people with unhealthy habits pay higher monthly premiums?" With little time to prepare I can see how some people struggle to get a decent score on such a question.

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
Obviously people are more likely to report a negative experience, but I for one don't think CELPIP is a "money-making device" at all. My experience was very positive- the test seemed reasonable, as did my results.

That said, the speaking part was the most challenging. One of the questions was something like "Should people with unhealthy habits pay higher monthly premiums?" With little time to prepare I can see how some people struggle to get a decent score on such a question.
Seconded! Obviously they do have to cover their costs and turn some profit, or else they wouldn't be in business, but I had a positive experience with the CELPIP, although I did find some of the questions challenging. I even had a re-evaluation done on my writing, for which I was refunded the cost because they found in my favor and adjusted my score accordingly.

In the speaking portion I remember being a little flustered on some questions and just babbling for a while, even finishing several seconds too early on one. I have no idea how I pulled a 12. Maybe babbling is the answer. ;)

CANADA2002

Apr 24, 2018

That said, the speaking part was the most challenging. One of the questions was something like "Should people with unhealthy habits pay higher monthly premiums?" With little time to prepare, I can see how some people struggle to get a decent score on such a question.
This is exactly where they are making money. I passed listing, reading and writing but I can not come up very fast with three valid reasons during 30 seconds. The topics were sometimes very ridiculous. In addition, when you are under pressure, it is not easy to fit everything in one minute, especially if you need to get higher scores. They did this intentionally.

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
This is exactly where they are making money. I passed listing, reading and writing but I can not come up very fast with three valid reasons during 30 seconds. The topics were sometimes very ridiculous. In addition, when you are under pressure, it is not easy to fit everything in one minute, especially if you need to get higher scores. They did this intentionally.
The test is designed to be challenging, but not impossible (clearly). You may need to work on your conversational fluency.

dwdw0

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
I did mine last year... I didnt study much for the first attempt, I got 7or8 on my speaking and writing... In my second attempt, I studied and cleardy did better than first test so I had hope my score would be better.. but it stayed same as my first attempt. I applied for reevaluation, but there was no change in my score..so I decided not bother my self with another Celpip

Reactions: CANADA2002

CANADA2002

Apr 24, 2018
Avoid CELPIP as it is a waste of your money. They can not control listing and reading but you will never get a decent mark on speaking. They need you to come and pay again.

Melchett

Star Member
Nov 2, 2018
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
16-07-2018
Avoid CELPIP as it is a waste of your money. They can not control listing and reading but you will never get a decent mark on speaking. They need you to come and pay again.
I got a 12 in speaking and I didn't think I did particularly well.

CANADA2002

Apr 24, 2018
Not really, I recently took the CELPIP second time and my scores are L- 12 R-10 S-8 W-8. In my first attempt they were, L-8 R-9 S-8 W-8. I can see why it was poor on my first attempt since I didn't prepare for it. This time I studied from the official material, Test Experts, and some other free stuff on the internet. I'm 100% sure I'm eligible for at least 10 in all sections, I even remember all my questions of S&W part. The topics were simple and not challenging at all (at least to me). They do have a bad evaluation criteria or they just scam people for money as they very well know if you get a 9 in each section, your CRS score will boost. On the matter of people getting a 10 in S&W, obviously they have to give at least few people some good marks.
They can not control listing or reading but they control your speaking and you will keep paying them with every attempt.

Reactions: rclmont

rclmont

Star Member
Apr 18, 2018
They can not control listing or reading but they control your speaking and you will keep paying them with every attempt.
That’s exactly it. So I always say: go for IELTS!

However, even in IELTS I had a bad experience. Last year I took it and they gave me an 8.0 on Speaking, but I failed on Writing. Three weeks I took the exam once again and got a 6.5 on Speaking. Weird, right? Went for reevaluation and they raised it to 8.0 again.

baxa1981

May 29, 2012
Were some replies deleted from here? Because of f word?
I was actually wondering about the same thing as the last poster. I think we should unite and do class action lawsuit against CELPIP. Is it allowed to incite people into lawsuit?

Reactions: CANADA2002