+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CELPIP test scores so ridiculous

mammu.529

Star Member
Dec 9, 2019
First time I got 6 in writing, requested for revaluation. No improvement. Second time got 6 in speaking. I need just 7. Again asked for revaluation. Waiting for results. Is there any way to contact celpip ppl.

BryanL

Jul 17, 2018
I took both IELTS and CELPIP for my PR application. CELPIP speaking for me is just ridiculous! While I score a 8 on IELTS, but a 6 on CELPIP.
I strongly recommended go for IELTS computer-based (for speaking part, you still speak with a real person)

Last edited:
Reactions: MAIL2SUNDAREEE

thephdguy

Oct 1, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
First time I got 6 in writing, requested for revaluation. No improvement. Second time got 6 in speaking. I need just 7. Again asked for revaluation. Waiting for results. Is there any way to contact celpip ppl.
You can call or send them an email through their help center (https://www.celpip.ca/about-us/contact-us/).

I never took IELTS but CELPIP for me was relatively easy. Scores depend on so many factors (English level, exam-taking abilities, memory, etc), so it's definitely not an exam for everybody. When I took it, I got an 8 in writing initially (which was ridiculous to me). I requested a revaluation and got a 10. I was pretty sure I had done a decent job in the writing section, so going for revaluation was a no brainer in my case. In any case, it depends on how well you think you did. Hopefully you'll get an improved score! Good luck!

Reactions: mammu.529

CANADA2002

Apr 24, 2018
I took two times CELPIP and got two times a 6 for speaking. I was surprised as the second time I prepared very well so I switched and took a IELTS.
Don't spend your money as in my opinion, they are doing this intentionally.
Good luck!

Reactions: mammu.529

thephdguy

Oct 1, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
I scored:
L: 9. R:6 W:9. S:10.
This does not make sense. Any advise ?
R 6 sounds out of place yes, but ultimately, it's up to you. Do you feel confident that you did well on the Reading section? It's normally a section with only right or wrong answers, so no human error (in theory) could be made calculating your score. They could still be wrong, and you can ask for a re-evaluation, if your score changes they refund the fee.

Abouali55

Jul 7, 2020
R 6 sounds out of place yes, but ultimately, it's up to you. Do you feel confident that you did well on the Reading section? It's normally a section with only right or wrong answers, so no human error (in theory) could be made calculating your score. They could still be wrong, and you can ask for a re-evaluation, if your score changes they refund the fee.
Thank you. I felt that it is out of place as well. I just registered to take the test again. I feel that I am wasting time, money and effort. Any advise on the reading section?

kdr91

Star Member
May 7, 2019
If you ask me, the best/honest advise I can give you is that, DO NOT waste your time on CELPIP. I have taken both CELPIP and IELTS. Celpip twice - Ielts twice. On both the occasions of celpip, they gave me an 8 in W first, then 8 in S on second attempt, while I achieved top bands (12,11,12) in all other sections (RLS, RLW). My first attempt in IELTS...unprepared, I got great scores except in W because I used CELPIP format. On my 2nd attempt, with prep, I achieved 9, 8.5, 9 & 7.5 (LRSW).
Go for IELTS, get an online tutor if you could, practice as much as you can and it will be easy. I may be wrong, but it seems like CELPIP is designed to fail you on purpose, so that they can keep milking money from your next attempt.
Hello everybody!
I took CELPIP almost 3 years ago from now. Preparations took me around 2 months and after I took the test. I found it easy and straightforward.

Reactions: mpsqra

thephdguy

Oct 1, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Thank you. I felt that it is out of place as well. I just registered to take the test again. I feel that I am wasting time, money and effort. Any advise on the reading section?
The reading sections follows a specific format, the only thing that changes is the content. You have time use it wisely. Check your answers, there can only be one that's correct. Scanning techniques (look for the answers after reading the questions without reading the text completely) to analyze different tasks quickly are important if you are a slow reader.

CELPIP is not for everyone. It doesn't have a lot of free material available, not many people take it which makes it harder to find a tutor for that exam, and so on. IELTS is easier in that sense, because it's an old test that has been around for so much time, that the available free material for it is immense. Good luck on your second attempt!

Abouali55

Jul 7, 2020
The reading sections follows a specific format, the only thing that changes is the content. You have time use it wisely. Check your answers, there can only be one that's correct. Scanning techniques (look for the answers after reading the questions without reading the text completely) to analyze different tasks quickly are important if you are a slow reader.

CELPIP is not for everyone. It doesn't have a lot of free material available, not many people take it which makes it harder to find a tutor for that exam, and so on. IELTS is easier in that sense, because it's an old test that has been around for so much time, that the available free material for it is immense. Good luck on your second attempt!
Hello,
I took the test again for the second time today. For some reason, I felt it was way harder than the first time. The questions were trickier and the passages were a lot longer. I ran out of time in some cases. Is that normal? Thanks.

thephdguy

Oct 1, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hello,
I took the test again for the second time today. For some reason, I felt it was way harder than the first time. The questions were trickier and the passages were a lot longer. I ran out of time in some cases. Is that normal? Thanks.
Well, I haven't taken it more than once so I wouldn't know. Sounds like your second attempt was really close (time wise) to your first. Wait for your results and see what you get. Depending on your English level, I'd recommend that you take some time between attempts to prepare yourself for the test. Don't rush it. Be patient, you can do this.

Nov 26, 2018
This is what drove me insane about my IELTS. I had to talk about my shoe collection. I remember thinking "I'm going to get a bad score because I don't have anything even remotely intelligent to say about my shoe collection.". They're shoes, for crying out loud.

If they want to test people's ability to speak English they should be more creative about the subject matter.
I second that. I got speaking topics such as favorite dress, compare plants, describe a venus fly trap photo.

vjammy

Jul 10, 2019
Just gave the exam - speaking score was better than expected. it was odd speaking to a computer, the human conversation in IELTS was much more natural.

LRWS:12,12,10,9.