+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Car Temporary Import -> Permanent Import After Landing As PR

getgo

Aug 15, 2017
Hi! I moved from US to Canada on a work permit and did a temporary import of the car. I understand that after obtaining PR, one needs to now do the permanent import. There are lots of threads on how to export/import car from US to Canada but does anyone have experience with:
1. Converting the temporary import to a permanent import?
2. Does the permanent import have to happen at the same time you do the landing or can you do it later?

indimmigrant

Jan 25, 2018
Hello!!

I moved in recently to Toronto from US on work permit. I am trying to import my car temporarily and would really appreciate any insight into the process. I realize that the question is not directly related to the primary question but since you might have already been through my situation, want to learn your experiences.

1. Do we have to export the car from US even if we import temporarily in Canada?
2. Assuming I don't export and I get my vehicle registered in Ontario using Form-1 with exemption from CBSA. What would be the process if I have to take the car back to US?
3. Upon speaking to CBSA officials, I learnt that temporary import can be done using copy of title, authorization letter from lien holder and my work permit. Please let me know if thats accurate or I'm missing something.

Really appreciate sharing your experiences. Thanks!!

ausphil

Jan 4, 2018
Hello!!

I moved in recently to Toronto from US on work permit. I am trying to import my car temporarily and would really appreciate any insight into the process. I realize that the question is not directly related to the primary question but since you might have already been through my situation, want to learn your experiences.

1. Do we have to export the car from US even if we import temporarily in Canada?
2. Assuming I don't export and I get my vehicle registered in Ontario using Form-1 with exemption from CBSA. What would be the process if I have to take the car back to US?
3. Upon speaking to CBSA officials, I learnt that temporary import can be done using copy of title, authorization letter from lien holder and my work permit. Please let me know if thats accurate or I'm missing something.

Really appreciate sharing your experiences. Thanks!!
Hi there,

I crossed the border and tried to get Form 1 but was informed by CBSA I had to export it from the US first.

So based on my experience, yes - you will need to export it from the US. If you are a US citizen you can do it yourself. You will need an EIN, register for AES, file export information and get an ITN. You then need to email this info to the border you plan to cross at least 72 hours in advance. I've read accounts where you need to be in the States for 72 hours prior to exporting, but this was not the case for me. You will present your title, ITN and present the vehicle and US Customs will stamp the title as "exported". You will then cross, present your passport, work permit and stamped title and you will get the Stamped Form 1 with RIV exemption for temporary import.

More info here: https://www.census.gov/newsroom/blogs/global-reach/2014/05/exporting_vehicles.html

I moved to BC, so I had to get an out-of-province inspection & decal then I was able to register and insure with ICBC. Don't forget to get a insurance letter from your US insurer so you can get a matched discount based on claim-free years.

getgo

Aug 15, 2017
Hi there,

I crossed the border and tried to get Form 1 but was informed by CBSA I had to export it from the US first.

So based on my experience, yes - you will need to export it from the US. If you are a US citizen you can do it yourself. You will need an EIN, register for AES, file export information and get an ITN. You then need to email this info to the border you plan to cross at least 72 hours in advance. I've read accounts where you need to be in the States for 72 hours prior to exporting, but this was not the case for me. You will present your title, ITN and present the vehicle and US Customs will stamp the title as "exported". You will then cross, present your passport, work permit and stamped title and you will get the Stamped Form 1 with RIV exemption for temporary import.

More info here: https://www.census.gov/newsroom/blogs/global-reach/2014/05/exporting_vehicles.html

I moved to BC, so I had to get an out-of-province inspection & decal then I was able to register and insure with ICBC. Don't forget to get a insurance letter from your US insurer so you can get a matched discount based on claim-free years.
Hi! For temporary import you don't need to export the vehicle. It's mentioned here well: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/safevehicles-importation-visitors-faq-1336.htm

I moved to BC as well, did a temporary import without exporting from the US.

ausphil

Jan 4, 2018
Hi! For temporary import you don't need to export the vehicle. It's mentioned here well: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/safevehicles-importation-visitors-faq-1336.htm

Well either you got lucky or I got shafted! I was initially under the impression I did not have to export my car from the US to temporarily import it, but when I crossed the border, the CBSA officer would not give me the Form 1 without exporting it. Since I didn't have the ITN, I had to drive 3 hrs back to the border at a later date to do the export/import.

Post here states the same thing as my experience: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/car-export-from-us-import-into-canada.170639/#post-2809604

indimmigrant

Jan 25, 2018

Thanks for the reply. I could not find the point where it specifies that export is not required for temporary import. Can you please point me to the specific question that contains this info, this could be very useful for me.

indimmigrant

Jan 25, 2018
Well either you got lucky or I got shafted! I was initially under the impression I did not have to export my car from the US to temporarily import it, but when I crossed the border, the CBSA officer would not give me the Form 1 without exporting it. Since I didn't have the ITN, I had to drive 3 hrs back to the border at a later date to do the export/import.

Post here states the same thing as my experience: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/car-export-from-us-import-into-canada.170639/#post-2809604
Thanks Ausphil.

Even when I spoke to CBSA over the phone, they told me I don't require export letter as this is a temporary import. However, US export copy is required for permanent importation. The information we get over the phone is very uncertain and subjective. At the same time, I am not able to find any documented information on the official websites.

But I am more concerned if US CBP raises a red flag when I try to take the car back to the states or if I request for an export letter to do a permanent import here as the car would be having a Canadian plates by then.

getgo

Aug 15, 2017

Did you move as a permanent resident by any chance? I moved on a work permit.

ausphil

Jan 4, 2018
Did you move as a permanent resident by any chance? I moved on a work permit.
No, I moved on a work permit too, which is why I replied initially to your questions about converting from temporary -> permanent import. I just received my CoPR and have the same questions as you. I will probably give the Border Information Service a call.

indimmigrant

Jan 25, 2018
Hi! I moved from US to Canada on a work permit and did a temporary import of the car. I understand that after obtaining PR, one needs to now do the permanent import. There are lots of threads on how to export/import car from US to Canada but does anyone have experience with:
1. Converting the temporary import to a permanent import?
2. Does the permanent import have to happen at the same time you do the landing or can you do it later?

You probably have already seen this, just in case: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/us-car-export-import-my-experience.329097/#post-4514770

Experience on permanent import of a US vehicle after getting PR, not exactly temporary import to permanent import though. Interesting point is that they dd not require export letter even for permanent import.

Have you already imported your vehicle permanently or still thinking about it?

getgo

Aug 15, 2017
You probably have already seen this, just in case: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/us-car-export-import-my-experience.329097/#post-4514770

Experience on permanent import of a US vehicle after getting PR, not exactly temporary import to permanent import though. Interesting point is that they dd not require export letter even for permanent import.

Have you already imported your vehicle permanently or still thinking about it?
Thanks for sharing this post. Super interesting. I guess just depends on who you get at the border. In Ausphil’s case, there was no need for him to export, but they made him/her do it. In this lady’s case (the post you shared) per the riv website and checklist it’s clear that you have to do an export, but they just gave her form 1 and let her go.

I’m still thinking what to do. In my case I did the landing a couple of weeks ago and then got my car put on the goods to follow list. But they couldn’t understand why I was asking the question about import when I already have a form 1 and have BC plates. So I had to show my current form 1 and explain it’s a temp import. Anyway. I don’t know what I’m doing. I guess I’ll have to do the permanent important at some point for sure. Else I can’t sell the car if I wanted to in Canada. I don’t think I’d want to sell it though since it’s a brand new Tesla (just kidding... it’s not... I wish though... just got back from a four hour ride with a colleague in his Tesla. I was excited to be sitting in one since it was my first time. Honestly it was a pain... the four hour drive ended up being 6. Had to stop twice to charge ) but ya whatever I have I don’t have plans to sell It at this time but still need to do the right thing.