+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Car Temporary Import -> Permanent Import After Landing As PR

indimmigrant

Jan 25, 2018
Thanks for sharing this post. Super interesting. I guess just depends on who you get at the border. In Ausphil’s case, there was no need for him to export, but they made him/her do it. In this lady’s case (the post you shared) per the riv website and checklist it’s clear that you have to do an export, but they just gave her form 1 and let her go.

I’m still thinking what to do. In my case I did the landing a couple of weeks ago and then got my car put on the goods to follow list. But they couldn’t understand why I was asking the question about import when I already have a form 1 and have BC plates. So I had to show my current form 1 and explain it’s a temp import. Anyway. I don’t know what I’m doing. I guess I’ll have to do the permanent important at some point for sure. Else I can’t sell the car if I wanted to in Canada. I don’t think I’d want to sell it though since it’s a brand new Tesla (just kidding... it’s not... I wish though... just got back from a four hour ride with a colleague in his Tesla. I was excited to be sitting in one since it was my first time. Honestly it was a pain... the four hour drive ended up being 6. Had to stop twice to charge ) but ya whatever I have I don’t have plans to sell It at this time but still need to do the right thing.
Tesla!!! :)

Totally agree with you on doing it the right way to have peace of mind.

The challenge could be explaining and getting it exported from US since you already have BC plates. Have you checked with any CBP offices to see if you can still get an export letter?

Having the export letter makes the process clean. This is one of the things I am thinking as well at the moment. In case if I have to do a permanent import at some point after temporary import, I will be in the same situation as you are in today.

getgo

Aug 15, 2017
Tesla!!! :)

Totally agree with you on doing it the right way to have peace of mind.

The challenge could be explaining and getting it exported from US since you already have BC plates. Have you checked with any CBP offices to see if you can still get an export letter?

Having the export letter makes the process clean. This is one of the things I am thinking as well at the moment. In case if I have to do a permanent import at some point after temporary import, I will be in the same situation as you are in today.
I think I know what needs to be done if I want to do it the right way. I just need to take my car back into the US for 72 hours, do the export (get the title stamped by CBP) and then get a new Form 1.
I've done enough research and feel good about the process. Just need to follow the checklist from the RIV site.

indimmigrant

Jan 25, 2018
I think I know what needs to be done if I want to do it the right way. I just need to take my car back into the US for 72 hours, do the export (get the title stamped by CBP) and then get a new Form 1.
I've done enough research and feel good about the process. Just need to follow the checklist from the RIV site.

Happy for you. Can we get the title stamped by CBP for export even with the Canadian license plates on the car?

Last edited:

ausphil

Jan 4, 2018
I talked to an agent via Border Information Services today.

She said because I have already exported it, I have to return to the border crossing I initially surrendered the Title to with the car, and CBSA will process a new Form 1.

Unfortunately that border crossing is not the one I am intending to land via so that is a pain...I guess at least I don't have to do a 72 hour trip in the States.

ausphil

Jan 4, 2018
Update on my situation:

My wife's car was exported from the US and temporarily imported to Canada back in Nov 2015.
24 Jan 2018 - Received CoPRs
16 Feb 2018 - Sent RIV recall clearance documentation (tip: they accept screenshots of manufacturer's recall clearance lookup websites, thought we would have to pay US$350 from Mercedes but called RIV and they said screenshot is accepted)
17 Feb 2018 - Crossed land border with CoPRs, listed car on B4, gave CBSA officer original Form 1 and photocopy of original US title. She issued a new Form 1 indicating car to go through RIV.
21 Feb 2018 - Paid RIV payment online ($295+GST), issued Vehicle Inspection Form immediately
24 Feb 2018 - Passed Federal Inspection at Canadian Tire (did not have to modify anything and only took like 10mins), had to pay $28 for tire eco fees in my province.
2 Mar 2018 - Received RIV compliance sticker in mail, applied to car.

Only thing left to do is inform ICBC so they can have the disposal restriction lifted.

For my car, it was still at home when we landed, so I listed it on a separate B4 when we landed. I then took it to our closest inland CBSA office to get a new Form 1.

Overall a lot less painful than I thought it would be.

ausphil

Jan 4, 2018
I would be moving soon from US to Canada on work permit and may later apply for PR. What would you advise, should I temporary export and import (no duties) or something else?
It depends really on what you intend after your work permit:

If returning to US or unsure -> Do not export. Temporarily Import. (Note I was told wrongly by CBSA that I had to export it before they would let me temporarily import it)
If applying for PR -> Export. Temporarily Import. Then Permanent Import at or after landing. This will save you from the 72 hr requirement you have to be in the US with the car to export it, when you land.

I am not sure of the US Import procedures should you need to re-import it if you return to the US once it's already exported. This is the course of action I would recommend, based on my experience.

Reactions: technokedar

ausphil

Jan 4, 2018
I am also moving to Canada in WP from USA, can I import the car permanently on work visa..
Yes I believe you can import permanently if you choose to. Most people moving on WP would not though, especially if you intend to return to the US after.

bourne5144`

Jun 24, 2017
For permanent import I saw one of the step is to get ITN from AES, can it be done only for US citizen as I am on work permit in USA, how can I get ITN