+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Car Temporary Import -> Permanent Import After Landing As PR

subin182

Jan 3, 2017
Not sure if people know what the process to follow is (and I didn't go through the entire thread).

But I was in the same situation, came on a work permit March 2017, temporarily imported car from the States and became a landed permanent resident through inland landing in February.

When I called CBSA, twice, they were adamant that I need to go to the border and I cannot get permanent import done from an inland CBSA office. I took a chance and went to the CBSA office in Mississaugua (2720 Britannia Rd E, Mississauga) and I was able to complete the import with no problems whatsoever. Now starting off with the RIV process.

ausphil

Jan 4, 2018
Not sure if people know what the process to follow is (and I didn't go through the entire thread).

But I was in the same situation, came on a work permit March 2017, temporarily imported car from the States and became a landed permanent resident through inland landing in February.

When I called CBSA, twice, they were adamant that I need to go to the border and I cannot get permanent import done from an inland CBSA office. I took a chance and went to the CBSA office in Mississaugua (2720 Britannia Rd E, Mississauga) and I was able to complete the import with no problems whatsoever. Now starting off with the RIV process.
Did you export your car from the US when you temporarily imported it?

bourne5144`

Jun 24, 2017
Hi all,
If I am temporarily importing the car to Canada from USA what all are the procedures.
  • Do I need to send the recall clearance letter to RIV.
  • After temporarily importing do I need to change number plates to Canadian number plates.
  • If I export from usa and temporarily import in Canada, can I later permanently import it to Canada.
Thanks

amitix

Mar 5, 2017
Not sure. It was done by the movers. But I wasn't asked for any export papers. Just the papers that showed my car was temporarily imported.
Hi subin182,

Were you able to find out if your car was formally exported from the US? If not, you may have to get it done. Per my knowledge, you should not do a permanent import without having exported the car. Please tell us if there has been a change in your situation. I am also trying to figure out how can I export the car without having to enter US.

devanshitamogna

Star Member
Apr 6, 2017
Hello,

With PR, I drove across the border with my car and was not planning to import/export at this time as I was planning to go back to US and complete the process. I did not have enough time(72 hours) to do the export. however, at the Canada border they asked me to complete the import process even if I did not complete the export process. Now I have to finish RIV and other steps. How should I export the car from US without crossing the border. I do not have a visa..

amitix

Mar 5, 2017
Hello,

With PR, I drove across the border with my car and was not planning to import/export at this time as I was planning to go back to US and complete the process. I did not have enough time(72 hours) to do the export. however, at the Canada border they asked me to complete the import process even if I did not complete the export process. Now I have to finish RIV and other steps. How should I export the car from US without crossing the border. I do not have a visa..
Hi devanshitamogna,

I strongly recommend that you do not complete the import formalities in Canada until you export the car. I was in almost the same situation except that I was/am on work permit. Importing a car without exporting it is a violation as per the federal regulations chapter 192. My matter is now sorted, but I had to go through a LOT.

Feb 11, 2018
Update on my situation:

My wife's car was exported from the US and temporarily imported to Canada back in Nov 2015.
24 Jan 2018 - Received CoPRs
16 Feb 2018 - Sent RIV recall clearance documentation (tip: they accept screenshots of manufacturer's recall clearance lookup websites, thought we would have to pay US$350 from Mercedes but called RIV and they said screenshot is accepted)
17 Feb 2018 - Crossed land border with CoPRs, listed car on B4, gave CBSA officer original Form 1 and photocopy of original US title. She issued a new Form 1 indicating car to go through RIV.
21 Feb 2018 - Paid RIV payment online ($295+GST), issued Vehicle Inspection Form immediately
24 Feb 2018 - Passed Federal Inspection at Canadian Tire (did not have to modify anything and only took like 10mins), had to pay $28 for tire eco fees in my province.
2 Mar 2018 - Received RIV compliance sticker in mail, applied to car.

Only thing left to do is inform ICBC so they can have the disposal restriction lifted.

For my car, it was still at home when we landed, so I listed it on a separate B4 when we landed. I then took it to our closest inland CBSA office to get a new Form 1.

Overall a lot less painful than I thought it would be.
Hi @ausphil, it was very helpful. I am in a similar situation and processing PR . Was wondering if we surrender the US Car title when we temporarily import the car on work permit. I had done it couple of years back and i cant find the car title now but have Form 1. I dont remember surrendering the car title. Someone here who temporarily imported the car from US on work permit -do you still have your US car titles with you?

saurabh2996

Jun 18, 2019
Hi All,

This has been a great forum and answered a lot of my questions still I have few that are still unasnwered.

I am moving to Toronto next month on a work permit from India. I have my car in US with one of my friend. I have a clean title and documentation. Since I am travelling on a Work permit, can you please help me with below queries:

1. I have US visa which allows me to enter states. Is it better to go to States and drive back my car to Canada instead of using any shipping services?
2. What is the procedure to temporarily import my car to Canada since I am on WP. What process needs to be followed at Border, any documentation etc?
3. Once in Canada, within how many days do I have to register my car? Once registered, do I surrender my current title? What if I have to go back to US and take back my car with me again?

Appreciate all your responses.

Thank you!

sidg

Feb 20, 2020
I think I know what needs to be done if I want to do it the right way. I just need to take my car back into the US for 72 hours, do the export (get the title stamped by CBP) and then get a new Form 1.
I've done enough research and feel good about the process. Just need to follow the checklist from the RIV site.
Hi, I was wondering what did you provide as the Title? We had to submit our title to ICBC while registering the car in BC after temporary import. Will the Canadian registration or Certified Copy of US title do?

Jen86748

Apr 7, 2020
Hello,

I am planning on doing the temporary import to permanent import this year after I receive PR (currently in status on a study permit). I am wondering if it will be an issue during the export process with the U.S. if I have a Canadian license plate? I am wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation or has any info regarding this.

BiggerY

Jul 21, 2020
Hi, I was wondering what did you provide as the Title? We had to submit our title to ICBC while registering the car in BC after temporary import. Will the Canadian registration or Certified Copy of US title do?
Hey, I have the same problem here. ICBC (DMV of British Columbia) took away the original certificate of title. I'm considering selling the car to a dealership in Washington but they require the US title. Any solution?

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
Hi devanshitamogna,

I strongly recommend that you do not complete the import formalities in Canada until you export the car. I was in almost the same situation except that I was/am on work permit. Importing a car without exporting it is a violation as per the federal regulations chapter 192. My matter is now sorted, but I had to go through a LOT.
Can you please explain what you did to get car imported to canada with export from USA?
I am in similar situation like you as I am already in Canada with car with US number plate.. I did not do any export from USA earlier... i cannot go to USA now, so how do i export car from usa now or how to import it in canada now?

Thanks in advance..

KK21

Aug 25, 2020

Hi Subin182,
I am also planning to do permanant import. Can you explain the steps and fees at CBSA office and RIV in detail ? Did you update your new form-1 at serviceontario ?

RKTK

Mar 12, 2021
Hi All,

I am planning to move from USA to Ontario, Canada next month in a work permit visa. I would like to temporarily import my vehicle to Canada. I will also export the vehicle from USA (i.e. get an ITN, email to the border at least 72 hours in advance etc.). Will there be any issue in getting an Ontario number plate on a temporarily imported vehicle?

I would also like to know what will happen if I become a permanent resident while staying in Canada. Can I permanently import my vehicle after becoming permanent resident? Do I need to pay any additional fees? What is the process? I may not have an US visa by the time I become permanent resident. Can I import the vehicle permanently without leaving Canada?