Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2015
LANDED..........
29-06-2015
Apologies for the length, but I wanted to share my experience with the forum along with helpful links below.

I was already in Canada as a visitor starting at the end of March, after applying outland for PR in January. My mother gave me her 2006 Honda Civic as a gift - I drove it up from Texas to NYC and then up here to Toronto with my two kids (my husband, the dual Canadian/US citizen, drove the U-Haul with all of our stuff). It’s a great little car!

My understanding was that as a visitor in Canada, the car was also a visitor and I didn’t need to do anything with it yet as far as registering it with RIV, etc. because I didn’t intend on being a visitor for more than 12 months (if I was we’d cross that bridge when we came to it). I was also still dealing with the transfer of the title from my mom to me, which we did via some fun mailing back and forth. She bought it new so the title was “clear” and she also keeps perfect records so she sent her whole file to me with everything from the original sale receipts to the most recent service bill. Because it wasn’t sold to me, we did have a “Gift Transfer” form notarized that shows that she gave me the car (I ended up needing to surrender this when I registered it). She had also added me to her TX insurance coverage which as far as I know was still good in Canada (I honestly didn’t confirm) - it expired today.

Another thing to note - I did get an Ontario driver’s license within a couple of weeks when we got here. You don’t need PR status. I just had to surrender my NY State license. It’s a full “G” status with no restrictions. It’s been really helpful to have as a local ID with my address on it. You’ll need something that shows at least 2 years driving experience - if you can I recommend requesting your driving record from your state (or country) if you don’t have it.

So, I got my CoPR in June. We decided to take a day trip on Monday, June 29th to the border at Lewiston (with the kids) to complete my landing and do the export/import of the car at the same time.

I was all ready to go - I had my CoPR, my passport and all of the documentation needed per the handy checklist from the RIV website… I had the title and the gift transfer form, I filled out the Transport Canada “Vehicle Import Form” (Form 1) online and paid the fees online in advance, I had the recall clearance printed out from the Honda website, I had the Kelley Blue Book value print out…

…and I had done the US CBP “vehicle export process”. I got an EIN from the IRS and used a vendor to get an ITN number from AES - I originally thought that I would try it myself for free but I ended up deciding to use a vendor just so I wouldn’t mess it up. I emailed the VIN, ITN and other required info to the export office the Thursday before our trip (to meet the 72 hour requirement). I got the response from them and added it to my collection of “landing” paperwork.

We decide that we’re going to the export office first thing after crossing the border. It’s on the right side as soon as you go through the US gates - there’s a HUGE sign that you can’t miss. We park and I go happily up the stairs into the very clearly marked “VEHICLE EXPORT OFFICE”. The office was staffed that day by two female CBP officers, bullet-proof vests and guns and all - kind of intimidating. I say that I am there to export my car to Canada and hand over my title and transfer form and passport. First question - “Where are you coming from?” I’m WAY too honest for my own good so I spit right out that we drove down from Toronto. “Nope. You can’t export the car.” Uh… “It says in the email we sent you 3 times that the car has to be in the US for 72 hours before export and that it’s not supposed to be driven to Canada before export. You can come back on Thursday.” Lots of expletives fill my head and mentally I kick myself repeatedly. I realized I was totally naive in thinking that there would be some sort of exception to this, that there was some way that it wouldn’t apply to my situation. Stupid me. NUTS! What do I do now? We’re not prepared for a 3 day vacation so we HAVE to go home - we can’t leave the car. They suggest that we find a safe place to leave it and get a rental car. No, that’s not happening. I tell my husband and he calms me down a bit. In order to get my title back from the officer I had to call the vendor and cancel the AES filing, which I did. They gave my stuff back with a warning that if I tried to import it without exporting there are penalties and fines. Then we were back in the car and on the road. UGH. My husband says, “don’t worry - we’ll plan a long weekend and take care of it later.” Ok honey…

Not wanting to spend anymore time in the US after this, we turned right around and went back to the Canadian border. I let the gate agent know that I’m landing and he gives me the yellow slip to go and park and go in to the big office. Thankfully there were only a handful of people there and there was no line, but I still had to wait for a while to get called up. The CBSA officer took my CoPR and passport and started working on that - everything was fine and filled out and stamped and signed. Then she asked if I had anything to declare, and I said just the car (my husband claimed everything else as his on his B4 back in March - they did look at me a little funny about this). I explained that I couldn’t export it yet so I needed to put it as “goods to follow”… She says, “You can declare it now - the export process is a US thing, we don’t need it.” WHAAAT? Seriously? So she starts to give me the Form 1, but then I pull out everything I had already completed along with the receipt for the RIV fees. I give her the value of the car and she confirms that I don’t need to pay any duty/taxes on it. She checks the papers over and gives it the ok then sends me to the cashier. I’m still stunned - I thought it wasn’t going to happen this way. Everything is stamped and I get my receipt and I am on my way! We spent the rest of the day at Niagara Falls doing fun stuff with the kids.

We get home and I find that I am horribly confused about the whole “export” thing. Should we even bother? What happens if we don’t? Canada didn’t seem to care, but what if I take a trip to the States and they find out and my car is seized or we have to pay all kinds of fines? I search all over this forum and the web and can’t find anything conclusive about what will happen if I DON’T export the car. There were a few people who said that they never did it and they were fine. I didn’t find any horror stories. I was also told that my title had to be stamped “exported” by the US before I could register it, but I couldn’t confirm this (I guess I could have called Service Ontario…). Still, I was uneasy. We decided that we’d go ahead and take another trip to do it in a few weeks.

Meanwhile, I received the RIV inspection (Form 2) in the mail the next Monday. I took the car to Canadian Tire and had the RIV inspection done along with the safety and emissions inspections required for Ontario registration. It passed everything and the inspector stamped and signed off on the forms. I didn’t need any modifications. They send the information back to the RIV - you don’t have to do anything. I got the official “Canadian Certification Label” in another 10 days or so from the inspection. The RIV process was super easy and efficient. I held on to the sticker - I didn’t want to apply it before I completed the export.

Friday, July 10th we decide to go to the US for the weekend and complete the export process 72 hours later on Monday the 13th. Late the night before I submitted a new request to the vendor I used for a new ITN, which I received in the morning. I sent the details to the export office at about 11:30am and got the response email back at about noon. We set off for Batavia, NY (I found a hotel with a mini indoor/outdoor water park that the kids loved). We didn’t cross the border until 7pm that evening - my husband was driving and the CBP officer asked us who the car belong to and I said me… he was looking at his screen for a while which got my anxiety going… So we’re having our mini vacation. I got so anxious that something would go wrong and that we wasted the whole weekend/money. I was seriously panicking, thinking they would make us wait another day or another 3 days, or that they would just be jerks. Someone told me that they didn’t think the 72 hours included weekend days and I almost lost it. My husband is really good at calming me down, thank goodness!

So Monday comes. We go to the export office at about 1pm. It is the same two officers. There is another person there who seems to be having a worse day than I am. They ask me the dreaded question, “Where are you coming from?” I say Batavia. “What were you doing there?” “Vacation. We stayed at a hotel with an indoor water park - the kids loved it.” One of them asks where the car is parked and I tell her and she takes my paperwork and heads outside. I sit there, fidgeting and drinking water. She comes back in with another officer and gives me the papers back. “You’re good.” Title is stamped. I thank them profusely and happily go out and down the stairs. WHEW! So now the car is legally exported, and that was way more dramatic than it should have been!

Finding insurance coverage was fairly simple - there’s no shortage of providers. At first it was looking pretty grim because I hadn't had insurance coverage before March of this year since 2003 (I didn't need a car in NYC), but I ended up getting a deal through my husband’s employer on coverage from TD. Coverage started today and got the policy and cards in the mail. That was the last piece that I needed in order to register the car in Ontario.

Today (a month after landing) I went to Service Ontario and registered the car - it’s all done! They took the title and gift transfer form and safety inspection form. I got my registration/ownership, new plates and sticker. TA-DA! What an ordeal!

I also have to thank user JayPinNC for his help and guidance - he got me through most of my anxiety about the whole PR process including this!

Helpful links:

RIV (Registrar of Imported Vehicles) - you can do almost everything online here, including generate a handy customized checklist and complete your Form 1/pay your fees
http://www.riv.ca/Home.aspx
CBSA page on importing vehicles from the US
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5048-eng.html#s3
Simplified Trade Solutions - the vendor I used for AES filing that also has helpful info on their site
http://simplifiedtradesolutions.com/get-an-aes-itn/vehicles-to-canada/
Service Ontario Vehicle Registration info
http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/register-vehicle-permit-licence-plate-and-sticker
CBSA FAQ - Visitors, Tourists and Temporary Residents Entering Canada with Foreign Owned Vehicles
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/safevehicles-importation-visitors-faq-1336.htm

FSW_Applicant

Aug 29, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-Oct-2014
LANDED..........
17-Sep-2015
Thank you for your informative post! The drive from TX to NY must've been exhausting!

I will be exporting my car in 2 months and have a Civic too. Too bad to hear that you had a rough time, but it all works out in the end, eh? And then you can look back and laugh at the events that took place.

carl321

Feb 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Great ! Thank you for the post. I'm hoping to surrender my Colorado license to a Ontario one. Is this an easy process? Other than the drivers license and my record do I need anything else? Also how much does it cost?

Thanks again

monstergirly

Star Member
Apr 6, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2015
AOR Received.
20-03-2015
File Transfer...
23-03-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2015
LANDED..........
29-06-2015

monstergirly

Star Member
Apr 6, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2015
AOR Received.
20-03-2015
File Transfer...
23-03-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2015
LANDED..........
29-06-2015
FSW_Applicant said:
Thank you for your informative post! The drive from TX to NY must've been exhausting!

I will be exporting my car in 2 months and have a Civic too. Too bad to hear that you had a rough time, but it all works out in the end, eh? And then you can look back and laugh at the events that took place.
I love driving so it was fine... but I had a driving buddy - my very conservative/right wing aunt. It was... interesting. She was really helpful but I try not to engage her in conversations that are too deep...

Don't forget to keep your car in the US for 3 days/72 hours before export!

mtn_air

May 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 16, 2014
AOR Received.
Dec 23, 2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 8, 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
Started processing June 29, DM on July 2, Visa arrived July 9!
LANDED..........
Aug 8 - Sault Ste Marie - PR CARD finally received in Feb, 2016!
Hi: Where do I find the email address for the export office? I used Simplified Solutions as well to get an ITN, I just can't find the info for the next step ;D

monstergirly

Star Member
Apr 6, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2015
AOR Received.
20-03-2015
File Transfer...
23-03-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2015
LANDED..........
29-06-2015
mtn_air said:
Hi: Where do I find the email address for the export office? I used Simplified Solutions as well to get an ITN, I just can't find the info for the next step ;D
Did you do your RIV checklist online? It's on there...
http://www.riv.ca/USCustoms.aspx

I love the RIV website.

FSW_Applicant

Aug 29, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-Oct-2014
LANDED..........
17-Sep-2015
@monstergirly: I plan to cross and complete my landing the week after Labor Day. I took your advice and contacted Simplified Trade Solutions for an ITN number. As I plan to cross via Lewiston bridge, I also sent them an email with VIN, ITN, car model and year. I have received their reply that has a list of things required at time of vehicle export:
- The vehicle which is to be exported
- ITN number (AES must contain the correct information, ie VIN)
- Original title
- WHTI compliant identification
- Printed, e-mail confirmation including original message to CBP

What I did not find is reference to emailing them a copy of the recall clearance as well as a copy of the title. Did you have to email them the recall & title copies or did you just present it in person when you went to the border?

monstergirly

Star Member
Apr 6, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2015
AOR Received.
20-03-2015
File Transfer...
23-03-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2015
LANDED..........
29-06-2015
FSW_Applicant said:
What I did not find is reference to emailing them a copy of the recall clearance as well as a copy of the title. Did you have to email them the recall & title copies or did you just present it in person when you went to the border?
The recall clearance is for the Canadian RIV import process, not the US CBP export process. When you go through the import process on the Canadian side they will give you a sheet with "next steps" instructions that tells you where to email/send the recall clearance. I had my recall info printed out (from the Honda website) with me when I went to the border but I still needed to email it. You also do not need to send the US CBP your title, you present the original at the export office as instructed and they will stamp it "exported". The CBSA will also review your title and any other documentation for your car as a part of the import process, and you declare it on your B4.

As I mentioned before I strongly recommend using the RIV checklist on their site that will give you a customized printout using your vehicle make and model, and you can also fill out your Form 1 and pay the fees upfront.

Good luck! Hopefully you'll be able to do it in one shot and not have to go back like I did!

Reactions: dsinghd

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
We get home and I find that I am horribly confused about the whole “export” thing. Should we even bother? What happens if we don't? Canada didn't seem to care, but what if I take a trip to the States and they find out and my car is seized or we have to pay all kinds of fines?
They can be nasty. It's worth doing. We're in the process of re-registering in the states so we can export it to Canada properly.

FSW_Applicant

Aug 29, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-Oct-2014
LANDED..........
17-Sep-2015
Thank you monstergirly! I read your earlier post and did refer to the RIV checklist. You are correct, it is a great tool. I was confused for the US export process and the use of the title but you cleared that out. I called Honda and they are mailing out a recall clearance letter. If that does not come in time, I will take a print out as suggested.

We are packing up our stuff and will be U-Hauling across the border with my Civic in tow. Hope to complete our landing around Labor Day.

monstergirly said:
The recall clearance is for the Canadian RIV import process, not the US CBP export process. When you go through the import process on the Canadian side they will give you a sheet with "next steps" instructions that tells you where to email/send the recall clearance. I had my recall info printed out (from the Honda website) with me when I went to the border but I still needed to email it. You also do not need to send the US CBP your title, you present the original at the export office as instructed and they will stamp it "exported". The CBSA will also review your title and any other documentation for your car as a part of the import process, and you declare it on your B4.

As I mentioned before I strongly recommend using the RIV checklist on their site that will give you a customized printout using your vehicle make and model, and you can also fill out your Form 1 and pay the fees upfront.

Good luck! Hopefully you'll be able to do it in one shot and not have to go back like I did!

paradox27

Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-03-2014
AOR Received.
15-04-2014
Med's Request
15-10-2014
Med's Done....
16-10-2014
Thank you for the advice monstergirly! I just landed today, exported and imported my vehicle from NY, and got my DL, OHIP, SIN, etc.

All of the information in this thread is spot on. Definitely do the RIV forms electronically - I got my Form 2 within 10 minutes of emailing my CBSA stamped Form 1 today. Off to get my inspections done and register my vehicle next week.

jb555

Aug 16, 2021
They can be nasty. It's worth doing. We're in the process of re-registering in the states so we can export it to Canada properly.
Can you please tell my more about this and why you decided to re-register in the US?