+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can dependent land alone after main applicant short landing?

meghanacanada

Jun 4, 2018
1 and 2. Yes, you would be flagpoling. Rainbow bridge restricts flagpoling, so depending on when you were planning, you could be refused landing.

3. If your husband was coming by himself, he would have no issues landing at any time because he is not flagpoling. However, if he is with you and you go during a restricted time, you will both likely be refused landing.

Thanks for your reply.
I called border security 800-461-9999 and they said they cannot process my husband’s papers as well, near any of the Niagara bridges.

So this is our plan:

(Sarnia blue water bridge)

I’ll provably go alone on Wednesday and get my landing done near Sarnia.

My husband can get this landing done alone (two days after me) on Friday/Saturday near Sarnia.

What is your suggestion?

Does my husband (dependant) require any additional documents apart from his passport and the CoPR papers which were mailed to him?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for your reply.
I called border security 800-461-9999 and they said they cannot process my husband’s papers as well, near any of the Niagara bridges.

So this is our plan:

(Sarnia blue water bridge)

I’ll provably go alone on Wednesday and get my landing done near Sarnia.

My husband can get this landing done alone (two days after me) on Friday/Saturday near Sarnia.

What is your suggestion?

Does my husband (dependant) require any additional documents apart from his passport and the CoPR papers which were mailed to him?
Not sure why CBSA would say that they can't land your husband in Niagara. He lives outside of Canada and is not flagpoling, so provided you have landed, they cannot refuse to land him.

Your plan is fine. He doesn't need anything else to land.

pavan55

Apr 10, 2017
I am the primary applicant and planning to do a 'soft landing' next week and my family will be doing their landing next month.
Now that, I am going to submit a form with accompanying goods and 'goods to follow' next week, will my wife be able to submit a new form / update the form when she lands next month ?

I wonder if these forms are per person (since we are landing at different times) or ONE per entire family.

Nov 22, 2018
I am a primary applicant and my husband is dependent. And now the situation is my husband cannot do the landing now due to some unavoidable circumstances. So it is possible that I will complete the landing now and my husband will do the landing later? If yes, then what is the maximum time he will get to complete the landing process?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am a primary applicant and my husband is dependent. And now the situation is my husband cannot do the landing now due to some unavoidable circumstances. So it is possible that I will complete the landing now and my husband will do the landing later? If yes, then what is the maximum time he will get to complete the landing process?
He has to land before his COPR/visa expires.

sonal1981

Nov 15, 2017
Can dependent do all the formalities alone after landing with applicant ( like to apply for child benefit, health card,join rent agreement without applicant etc)

UnconquerableMe

Star Member
Oct 24, 2018
Hi,

I (primary applicant) and my husband is the dependent applicant.
Our COPR date is Sep 2019.
I'm due for delivery in Nov 2019.

We are planning to do a soft landing (followed by applying for PR card) in July 2019 & return to India to deliver the baby.

My husband (dependent applicant) will then move to Canada in December 2019 & sponsor our child.

I will then move to Canada once we receive the sponsorship for the child.

Is this possible?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hi,

I (primary applicant) and my husband is the dependent applicant.
Our COPR date is Sep 2019.
I'm due for delivery in Nov 2019.

We are planning to do a soft landing (followed by applying for PR card) in July 2019 & return to India to deliver the baby.

My husband (dependent applicant) will then move to Canada in December 2019 & sponsor our child.

I will then move to Canada once we receive the sponsorship for the child.

Is this possible?
Yes, this is possible and is probably the best way to go about it.

Another option would be to move to Canada right now and have the baby here, but you really need to be careful about researching your healthcare costs to make sure you get coverage. Some provinces (Alberta) grant healthcare from Day 1 if you are intending to live there long term, others (Ontario), make you wait three months.

Given that you are pregnant, moving to a new country and trying to get all this done may be too stressful, so your plan is the best one.

UnconquerableMe

Star Member
Oct 24, 2018
Why don’t you deliver baby here in Canada
He/she will be Canadian citizen free of cost.
Yes... True ..Causes as stated below in no particular order of importance. :)
1. I will lose on my maternity benefits from my current organization in India.
2. No family support at this crucial time.
3. Both me and my husband will have to quit our respective jobs in India and therefore create financially stressful situation for ourselves.
4. Adapting to a new country, healthcare, etc etc...