+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can dependent land alone after main applicant short landing?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,I have not been able to locate any rules regarding the landing of the dependant spouse anywhere. My husband is the primary applicant and I am dependant. We have applied through express entry federal skilled workers program. My husband will land before me but he might do a soft landing and come back, we are yet to decide. Since I will be traveling alone, I wanted to know what documents will I be required to present? if I can land in a different state and city as him? Do i need to have his address (which I will not have if he does soft landing) is there any concrete article that I can be directed to? I have tried callin Cic helpline and I have only been waiting to get attended to. Is there any better way to consult an actual cic official? Please suggest.
As the dependent you are not entitled to land because you are separated from your husband. This is immigration fraud. If you try to get away with the fraud it can catch up with you many years down the road. Follow the laws.

Krisleen

Star Member
Aug 10, 2017
Looking for a kind response....

If a person who is on open work permit,get PR visa stamped here in canada after changing visa office from new delhi to ottawa,then how he/she can proceed with LANDING alongwith his/her principal applicant whose visa is stamped at ndvo?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Looking for a kind response....

If a person who is on open work permit,get PR visa stamped here in canada after changing visa office from new delhi to ottawa,then how he/she can proceed with LANDING alongwith his/her principal applicant whose visa is stamped at ndvo?
The principal applicant has to land first, then the dependent can either flagpole or do an inland landing at an IRCC office.

Or the dependent leaves Canada and comes back with the principal applicant on the same flight.

mann100

Jun 11, 2019
Looking for a response,

Can dependents board the flight to Canada from India and primary applicant fly from US to Canada, all arriving at Toronto at almost same time? Which means dependents would have boarded the Canada flight even before primary applicant has boarded the flight to Canada.
Or is it required that primary applicant to have landed and processed PR card before dependents can even board the flight to Canada.
Do the emigration at Delhi airport check details if primary applicant is accompanying or not or is this check only at border security at Canada?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Looking for a response,

Can dependents board the flight to Canada from India and primary applicant fly from US to Canada, all arriving at Toronto at almost same time? Which means dependents would have boarded the Canada flight even before primary applicant has boarded the flight to Canada.
Or is it required that primary applicant to have landed and processed PR card before dependents can even board the flight to Canada.
Do the emigration at Delhi airport check details if primary applicant is accompanying or not or is this check only at border security at Canada?
Dependents can board the plane and will be allowed to fly, but you have to make sure they arrive after the principal applicant. If they arrive before CBSA will not process their landing and will probably send them back.

Flights can get delayed or cancelled.

I would recommend that the principal applicant lands first, and then a day or two later the dependents land. That will give you time to react to any unexpected delays.

Reactions: mann100

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Dependents can board the plane and will be allowed to fly, but you have to make sure they arrive after the principal applicant. If they arrive before CBSA will not process their landing and will probably send them back.

Flights can get delayed or cancelled.

I would recommend that the principal applicant lands first, and then a day or two later the dependents land. That will give you time to react to any unexpected delays.
CBSA wouldn't send them back. They would either wait for the PA to arrive and be processed or allow them entry as visitors.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
CBSA wouldn't send them back. They would either wait for the PA to arrive and be processed or allow them entry as visitors.
They would be allowed in as visitors on the IM-1? That's good to know; though I suppose they would have to either leave and re-enter, or flagpole to complete the landing.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
They would be allowed in as visitors on the IM-1? That's good to know; though I suppose they would have to either leave and re-enter, or flagpole to complete the landing.
Yes, they can enter as visitors. CBSA is generally pretty understanding in such situations when people aren't trying to do something wrong. They would need to either flagpole or land at an office in Canada.

Reactions: mann100 and 21Goose

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf04-eng.pdf

Section 12.13 on page 64.

12.13 Family members arriving before the principal applicant
Occasionally, a border services officer at Immigration Secondary will encounter a family
member who arrives before the principal applicant and is seeking permanent residence.
Paragraph R51(b) requires a permanent resident visa holder to establish that they and their
family members, whether accompanying or not, meet the requirements of the Act and
Regulations. For a family member to meet these requirements, it is usually incumbent on
the principal applicant being admissible at the POE. This also holds true for the principal
applicant arriving before their family members.
A border services officer encountering this situation should obtain the following information
from the family member or principal applicant:
 why the family member or principal applicant is preceding the rest of the family
(e.g., to seek accommodation or employment, lack of a seat on the aircraft carrying
the principal applicant);
 when the rest of the family is due to arrive; and
 the person’s means of support.
The border services officer should complete the verification process but should not grant
permanent resident status to the family member. If the person has a valid permanent
resident visa and the border services officer is satisfied that the rest of the family intends to
come to Canada, the border services officer may wish to defer the examination pursuant to
section A23 in order to obtain more information or wait until the rest of the family arrives so
they may be examined.
The border services officer should enter the information into GCMS by means of a GCMS
Note, which indicates that the granting of permanent residence has been deferred pending
the arrival of the rest of the family.
If the border services officer has reasonable grounds to believe that the rest of the family
will not be coming to Canada, the border services officer should initiate enforcement action
unless the person qualifies in their own right for permanent resident status.

Reactions: nicmart and 21Goose

TSHETTY

Mar 31, 2019
Hi,

Request help with the following query.

My PR is expected in July, my medical expires by December. So I (Primary Applicant) plan to go by November, the query is regarding my wife and infant daughter (Both dependents).

My wife had also gotten her medical done in December'18 but because she was pregnant we deferred her xray which was finally done in March'19. My daughter's medical was done in April'19.

My wife's medical would expire in Dec'19 or Mar'20? If I get extension till Mar'20 it would really help as I can setup things till she can arrive with the baby.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

Request help with the following query.

My PR is expected in July, my medical expires by December. So I (Primary Applicant) plan to go by November, the query is regarding my wife and infant daughter (Both dependents).

My wife had also gotten her medical done in December'18 but because she was pregnant we deferred her xray which was finally done in March'19. My daughter's medical was done in April'19.

My wife's medical would expire in Dec'19 or Mar'20? If I get extension till Mar'20 it would really help as I can setup things till she can arrive with the baby.
All of your COPRs will be valid for the same time, the earliest expiry.

TSHETTY

Mar 31, 2019
All of your COPRs will be valid for the same time, the earliest expiry.
Thank you for your reply. Request some more clarity.
I believed the COPR is valid for a period of one year from date of issue. Based on your comment does that mean the COPR for me as well as my dependents will be valid only till expiry of my medical (i.e. December)?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I believed the COPR is valid for a period of one year from date of issue. Based on your comment does that mean the COPR for me as well as my dependents will be valid only till expiry of my medical (i.e. December)?
Yes. CoPRs are issued till the expiry of the medicals, not one year.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
COPRs are valid for one year from the date of the medical or until the date of passport expiry, whichever is sooner.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Reading through the thread, I see that this can be a bit confusing, so here's an example.

You took your medicals on 1st Apr 2019. Your wife and daughter took their medicals on 10th April 2019. You submitted your complete application on 10th May 2019.Your CoPR is issued on 1st September 2019.

All three CoPRs (you, your wife, and your daughter) will expire on 1st April 2020 unless your passport expires sooner, in which case it will expire on the day your passport expires.