+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can dependent land alone after main applicant short landing?

UnconquerableMe

Star Member
Oct 24, 2018
Yes, this is possible and is probably the best way to go about it.

Another option would be to move to Canada right now and have the baby here, but you really need to be careful about researching your healthcare costs to make sure you get coverage. Some provinces (Alberta) grant healthcare from Day 1 if you are intending to live there long term, others (Ontario), make you wait three months.

Given that you are pregnant, moving to a new country and trying to get all this done may be too stressful, so your plan is the best one.
Thanks a ton for the reply ...

I was a bit skeptical about this since my husband is the dependent applicant on our application.

Also can you point me to an article in CIC which talks about the same?

Any idea on the processing timelines to sponsor the child given both parents are PR holders?

Allankrita

May 31, 2018
Yes... True ..Causes as stated below in no particular order of importance. :)
1. I will lose on my maternity benefits from my current organization in India.
2. No family support at this crucial time.
3. Both me and my husband will have to quit our respective jobs in India and therefore create financially stressful situation for ourselves.
4. Adapting to a new country, healthcare, etc etc...
You are right!
All the best

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thanks a ton for the reply ...

I was a bit skeptical about this since my husband is the dependent applicant on our application.

Also can you point me to an article in CIC which talks about the same?

Any idea on the processing timelines to sponsor the child given both parents are PR holders?
Once he becomes a PR, there is no more distinction between primary applicant and dependent. He is a PR and not dependent on you.

You can read the "Who can sponsor" page here - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/eligibility.html

Timelines range from 6- 12 months, impossible to say exactly.

Rishishahani

May 6, 2018
Hi
I(principal applicant) am planning to land in early May and and my wife and son(dependents) are planning to land later in Jul'19 before our visa expire by end July.
Let me know any other documents I should carry other than the following.
1.my passport
2.my COPR
3.my Proof of fund(equivalent of 19093$ for a family of 3 in cash/traveller's cheque/DD)
4.Goods accompanying list & Goods to follow list (in printed format)
Also when my wife ans son lands later,what all documents they should carry other than the following?
1.Their passports
2.Their COPR
3.Son's birth certificate
4.Goods accompanying list & Goods to follow list (in printed format)

Thanks in advance.I am struggling to find the answer for this many groups/forums.So any help on this is very much appreciated.
Hey i have to same query, When dependents land after the PA, i hope they don't have to show Proof of FUnds to the office. Can you please share your experience.

Nagarwal

May 28, 2019
Hi,I have not been able to locate any rules regarding the landing of the dependant spouse anywhere. My husband is the primary applicant and I am dependant. We have applied through express entry federal skilled workers program. My husband will land before me but he might do a soft landing and come back, we are yet to decide. Since I will be traveling alone, I wanted to know what documents will I be required to present? if I can land in a different state and city as him? Do i need to have his address (which I will not have if he does soft landing) is there any concrete article that I can be directed to? I have tried callin Cic helpline and I have only been waiting to get attended to. Is there any better way to consult an actual cic official? Please suggest.

Nagarwal

May 28, 2019
Hi,I have not been able to locate any rules regarding the landing of the dependant spouse anywhere. My husband is the primary applicant and I am dependant. We have applied through express entry federal skilled workers program. My husband will land before me but he might do a soft landing and come back, we are yet to decide. Since I will be traveling alone, I wanted to know what documents will I be required to present? if I can land in a different state and city as him? Do i need to have his address (which I will not have if he does soft landing) is there any concrete article that I can be directed to? I have tried callin Cic helpline and I have only been waiting to get attended to. Is there any better way to consult an actual cic official? Please suggest.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
COPR and passport.

Canada has provinces and territories, not states. You can land in a different location.

You don't need his address but you do need an address if you want your PR card.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Are you still happily married? Very confused why you wouldn't know his address, you want to land separately and you want to land in different locations.

user0815

May 29, 2019
I have very specific question. I am the secondary applicant with my partner for canadian PR. I may have immediate job position to hold in canada, before my partner finds one. So if we both finish our first landing together, can i continue to stay back in Canada, while my partner travels back and forth occassionally between US and canada?

Thank you
user0815

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I have very specific question. I am the secondary applicant with my partner for canadian PR. I may have immediate job position to hold in canada, before my partner finds one. So if we both finish our first landing together, can i continue to stay back in Canada, while my partner travels back and forth occassionally between US and canada?

Thank you
user0815
You can stay.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Are you still happily married? Very confused why you wouldn't know his address, you want to land separately and you want to land in different locations.
From another posting the couple have been separated, so in a nutshell, planning on landing while their relationship has ended. Aka, immigration fraud

Max_512

Apr 15, 2019
Why? There's no need for them to land together. The rules regarding landings are perfectly clear. Provided the primary applicant lands first, there is no issue with the dependent(s) landing later. Many people on this forum have done this without issue.
Can the main applicant land first and apply for PR card for all or they all need to be present physically to apply for PR card?