+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can dependent land alone after main applicant short landing?

Kkd

Star Member
Dec 12, 2011
Family members can travel independently.
PR cars are issued only after becoming PR that is landing in Canada.
SIN is issued in person at service Centres

Kkd

Star Member
Dec 12, 2011
Hi all. Great thread with some good info. My situation is this. Received CoPR but I am going to my home country in a month for a week but my spouse is staying here. I want to do the appointment asap with my spouse, but if my PR card does not arrive in time, can I still land back using my work permit which will still be valid. Or should I just use my CoPR and then get my spouse to do the appointment after it. What if this appointment is after the validity of the work permit?
You can't renter with WORK PERMIT because it is not an immigration document.
You must have received a letter (Proof of landing) Form 1000.
Form 1000 will be a valid document for REENTRY.
You must preserve this paper carefully even after you receive your PR CARD.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi all. Great thread with some good info. My situation is this. Received CoPR but I am going to my home country in a month for a week but my spouse is staying here. I want to do the appointment asap with my spouse, but if my PR card does not arrive in time, can I still land back using my work permit which will still be valid. Or should I just use my CoPR and then get my spouse to do the appointment after it. What if this appointment is after the validity of the work permit?
Just a reminder that once you have landed as a PR you need a PR card or PRTD to board a plane back to Canada, that is before even thinking about entering the country. If you had an ETA or TRV before becoming a PR then those will likely be cancelled and of no use for travel. For this reason once landed a COPR could only be used to enter via the US land border assuming have a US visa or ESTA if part of visa waiver scheme.

So up to the point you complete your landing everything you currently hold remains valid, ETA or TRV with a work permit so good for travel, after landing once you are a PR you need a PR card or PRTD only (plus still a passport of course) if flying in.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
You can't renter with WORK PERMIT because it is not an immigration document.
You must have received a letter (Proof of landing) Form 1000.
Form 1000 will be a valid document for REENTRY.
You must preserve this paper carefully even after you receive your PR CARD.
IMM 1000 hasn't been issued, as far as I am aware, since 2002.
The current COPR (currently IMM 5292 or IMM 5688) document is different and is also not a travel document.

Last edited:

Kdoc104

Mar 28, 2019
Thank you all for your replies, but just to be more clearer. My Work Permit is valid until September 19th. I have used this to gain re-entry in the past on numerous occasions. My CoPR has just been received. I will be leaving Canada for a few days at the end of August (I will return before my work permit expires).
These are my questions;
1. If I managed to get an appointment with IRCC before I leave Canada on August 21st, will I gain re-entry if I don't have my PR card issued in time. Will my Work Permit suffice to gain re-entry?
2. Since my Work Permit expires on September 19th, do I have to activate my PR card prior to this?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thank you all for your replies, but just to be more clearer. My Work Permit is valid until September 19th. I have used this to gain re-entry in the past on numerous occasions. My CoPR has just been received. I will be leaving Canada for a few days at the end of August (I will return before my work permit expires).
These are my questions;
1. If I managed to get an appointment with IRCC before I leave Canada on August 21st, will I gain re-entry if I don't have my PR card issued in time. Will my Work Permit suffice to gain re-entry?
2. Since my Work Permit expires on September 19th, do I have to activate my PR card prior to this?
1. NO. Your work permit automatically becomes null and void the moment you become a Permanent Resident.
2. No. You have to "land" as a PR before the expiry date of your COPR document or "landing appointment" date.

Addendum to 1. You don't need to possess a PR card to cross the land border with the USA.

Kdoc104

Mar 28, 2019
1. NO. Your work permit automatically becomes null and void the moment you become a Permanent Resident.
2. No. You have to "land" as a PR before the expiry date of your COPR document or "landing appointment" date.

Addendum to 1. You don't need to possess a PR card to cross the land border with the USA.
Thank you. So, am I considered a Permanent Resident right now since I received the CoPR even though I have not landed as one yet?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thank you. So, am I considered a Permanent Resident right now since I received the CoPR even though I have not landed as one yet?
You are not considered a PR until you land after which any permits or visas previously held are void but only post PR landing so from that point cannot be used for anything.

Reactions: Kdoc104

Kdoc104

Mar 28, 2019
You are not considered a PR until you land after which any permits or visas previously held are void but only post PR landing.
Thank you. in a nut shell, that is the answer I was looking for.

Follow up question:
Can the new SIN be obtained with the CoPR or do I have to wait for my PR Card? If the latter is the case, what if this goes over my expiry date of my initial SIN.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thank you. in a nut shell, that is the answer I was looking for.

Follow up question:
Can the new SIN be obtained with the CoPR or do I have to wait for my PR Card? If the latter is the case, what if this goes over my expiry date of my initial SIN.
The COPR, once signed and stamped, will suffice to allocate a SIN. This only applies for 12 months however.

Reactions: Kdoc104

Nileshbhawar007

Star Member
Aug 13, 2018
Windsor
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
07-08-2018
Nomination.....
13-07-2018
Hii guys
1 quick question for all
I got my passport and COPR I need to do landing . Is it mandatory to landing together (husband and wife) as we both are In Canada and flagpoling is good option for me as border are full of traffic. So I have USA Visa and my wife doesn’t
So can I do landing first and later on for my wife ,
If it is possible then what’s the procedure to landing for wife ?
Please do reply and thank you kindly

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hii guys
1 quick question for all
I got my passport and COPR I need to do landing . Is it mandatory to landing together (husband and wife) as we both are In Canada and flagpoling is good option for me as border are full of traffic. So I have USA Visa and my wife doesn’t
So can I do landing first and later on for my wife ,
If it is possible then what’s the procedure to landing for wife ?
Please do reply and thank you kindly
The PA must land first. Your wife does not require a US visa to flagpole.

alihassaan86

Jul 18, 2019
HI Guys,

I have seen lots of posts on this forum regarding dependents landing after the principal applicant. After reading the posts I still have a slight confusion and seeking a response regarding my situation. I am the principal applicant and my wife is a dependent. Me and my wife both have received COPRs and need to land in Canada before 13 October 2019 (expiry date). Now I will be travelling to Canada on 30 August 2019 and for some personal reasons my wife cannot accompany me and will travel a month later. She will land in Canada on 29th September 2019 which is well before the expiry date of her visa that is 13 October 2019.

So based on our situation; can she travel to and land in Canada alone with out me (Principal applicant) and without facing any issues at the Toronto airport?

Any prompt response will be highly appreciated.

Regards

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
HI Guys,

I have seen lots of posts on this forum regarding dependents landing after the principal applicant. After reading the posts I still have a slight confusion and seeking a response regarding my situation. I am the principal applicant and my wife is a dependent. Me and my wife both have received COPRs and need to land in Canada before 13 October 2019 (expiry date). Now I will be travelling to Canada on 30 August 2019 and for some personal reasons my wife cannot accompany me and will travel a month later. She will land in Canada on 29th September 2019 which is well before the expiry date of her visa that is 13 October 2019.

So based on our situation; can she travel to and land in Canada alone with out me (Principal applicant) and without facing any issues at the Toronto airport?

Any prompt response will be highly appreciated.

Regards
Yes, she can.

Reactions: alihassaan86