+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can dependent land alone after main applicant short landing?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi!
Can the dependents enter Canada even if the principal's COpR is not yet validated? Principal is in Canada but cant do flagpoling or in-person interview at this time. COPR is expiring in 2 weeks..
Thank you
No. Primary applicant must land first. Dependents can enter Canada as visitors if they have valid eTA or TRV.

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
I have a question that is not clearly answered in this thread.

My spouse is the primary applicant, so she will land first and I can land after she has landed (as long as my COPR is valid).
But can I also land while she is not in Canada. That is she has returned to the US after finishing her landing process, then can I come and land independently after she has returned from her landing trip?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I have a question that is not clearly answered in this thread.

My spouse is the primary applicant, so she will land first and I can land after she has landed (as long as my COPR is valid).
But can I also land while she is not in Canada. That is she has returned to the US after finishing her landing process, then can I come and land independently after she has returned from her landing trip?
Yes.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks!

Won't the CBSA agent ask about where the primary applicant is, can't they see in their system that primary applicant is no longer in Canada?
Also is there any official document that I can read about this, I lookedaround but couldn't find it
No.

No. If there was a requirement for the PA to be in Canada, that would be clearly stated.

Reactions: ryeCatcher

L0VEL1VER

Star Member
Jun 13, 2020
Hello all I have a question,

I am a dependent child of a Quebec economic immigration case. I am 22 years old, and already in Canada for university. Our case is approaching the final stage, and should receive our COPRs soon. Upon receiving the COPR, can I land myself at the border (e.g. via flagpoling / at the airport) before my parents do? Or is there any way for me to finalize it within Canada before my parents do?

During Covid it is difficult for my parents to get flight tickets. That's why I am wondering if I could land first. TIA!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hello all I have a question,

I am a dependent child of a Quebec economic immigration case. I am 22 years old, and already in Canada for university. Our case is approaching the final stage, and should receive our COPRs soon. Upon receiving the COPR, can I land myself at the border (e.g. via flagpoling / at the airport) before my parents do? Or is there any way for me to finalize it within Canada before my parents do?

During Covid it is difficult for my parents to get flight tickets. That's why I am wondering if I could land first. TIA!
Primary applicants always have to land either first or at same time as dependants no way around that unfortunately. At the moment anyway even if were possible flagpoling is not allowed at present

L0VEL1VER

Star Member
Jun 13, 2020
Primary applicants always have to land either first or at same time as dependants no way around that unfortunately. At the moment anyway even if were possible flagpoling is not allowed at present
What about the method of booking an interview at a local IRCC office? In that case does the primary applicant also have to validate his/her COPR first?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
What about the method of booking an interview at a local IRCC office? In that case does the primary applicant also have to validate his/her COPR first?
Yes. In all cases the primary applicant needs to have landed first. That rule hasn't changed.

Reactions: L0VEL1VER

zen119

May 28, 2018
Hi
Me (Main Applicant) and my wife are landing POE together ,Montreal in end of June and taking connecting flights to Toronto.
I asked to book both tickets in single itinerary. However my travel agent book separate tickets for me and my wife for the same flights (all the connection in one itinerary for each of us).
We have same flight numbers and connecting flights in each ticket. He told he will also book nearby seats. As we are landing together and taking the same connection flights will there be a problem?
Thanks

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hi
Me (Main Applicant) and my wife are landing POE together ,Montreal in end of June and taking connecting flights to Toronto.
I asked to book both tickets in single itinerary. However my travel agent book separate tickets for me and my wife for the same flights (all the connection in one itinerary for each of us).
We have same flight numbers and connecting flights in each ticket. He told he will also book nearby seats. As we are landing together and taking the same connection flights will there be a problem?
Thanks
No, this won't be an issue. You will be on the same flight, so you can walk to immigration together. They don't care about your tickets. You will complete your landing in Montreal and then after that you can take your next flight.

Reactions: zen119

zen119

May 28, 2018
No, this won't be an issue. You will be on the same flight, so you can walk to immigration together. They don't care about your tickets. You will complete your landing in Montreal and then after that you can take your next flight.
Thanks

Bob87

Jun 19, 2020
Hi Guys, i am in a fix. With all. That is going on in thr world. I am the primary candidate and my wife is a secondary candidate. I am able to land before COPR expiry, but my wife is mot. What are my options?