+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can dependent land alone after main applicant short landing?

Aug 2, 2019
I am the primary applicant but my spouse has a sibling in Canada so we applied for Authorization letter to enable us travel as a family. The application was approved but only my spouse name and UCI is stated on the letter. My question is does the letter cover everyone of us or only my spouse. What do I do in order for us all to be able to travel as he cannot land without me.

fuzzylogic

Aug 13, 2019
I've a unique situation and need some guidance. I've sponsored my parents (father is Principal Applicant and mother is Accompanying Dependent). My mother health condition is not good however both of them have cleared their medical examinations. Their application is in the final stages.
I understand that it is possible that, once their application is approved, only my father (principal applicant) does the landing in Canada alone and receives his Permanent Residence status, while my mother stays back. My question is if my mother is not at all able to come to Canada later, will it impact my father's permanent residence?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I've a unique situation and need some guidance. I've sponsored my parents (father is Principal Applicant and mother is Accompanying Dependent). My mother health condition is not good however both of them have cleared their medical examinations. Their application is in the final stages.
I understand that it is possible that, once their application is approved, only my father (principal applicant) does the landing in Canada alone and receives his Permanent Residence status, while my mother stays back. My question is if my mother is not at all able to come to Canada later, will it impact my father's permanent residence?
Your understanding is incorrect.

Your mother will have to either land with your dad or on or before the expiry date. Fail to do so, she will not get her PR status. But it will not impact your dad's status.

L0VEL1VER

Star Member
Jun 13, 2020
I believe as long as your mother is not deemed inadmissible medically / any other form, before your father lands, it would not impact your father's status. However, if your mother cannot land before the COPR expires (which is a year from the medical exam), she would not be able to become a PR and might have to apply again in the future if she still wants to come.

Reactions: canuck78

Kam96621

Jun 1, 2021
Canada
Category........
WP
Hi
I have applied for PR with dependent (spouse) Outland while I am in Canada. We r waiting for Copr. Can I go to back home and accompany spouse? My status as worker is ending soon. Is there any rule that main applicant must be in canada if he applied from canada?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi
I have applied for PR with dependent (spouse) Outland while I am in Canada. We r waiting for Copr. Can I go to back home and accompany spouse? My status as worker is ending soon. Is there any rule that main applicant must be in canada if he applied from canada?
No you can return to your home country and wait for PR as long as your PR application is not based on your current employment. You must inform IRCC that you have returned home so they can send stamping information to the right place

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your father can land alone. If your mother doesn’t land before the expiry date your father would have to sponsor her and would need to be in Canada to sponsor her. Your parents need to consider their residency obligations.

Kam96621

Jun 1, 2021
Canada
Category........
WP
No you can return to your home country and wait for PR as long as your PR application is not based on your current employment. You must inform IRCC that you have returned home so they can send stamping information to the right place
It was under express entry so I guess no issues

thanks for help

Reactions: canuck78

Fatehrai

Oct 19, 2021
Hi...We received our PPR few days back. I am the main applicant and planning to land first along with dependent kids. But my husband is planning to land after few months, before COPR expiry. Is it ok to take kids along without their father, or does it need some written approval from my husband or IRCC?

We are very confused about it, since my husband has some important work here and he cant join us, but I have job to join in Canada. Looking forward for the reply.

sp081990

Aug 18, 2018
I have a query, can the primary applicant fly first and then after a couple of months dependent(spouse) will fly given that the fly date is within the expiry of copr of dependent. For example: can primary applicant fly in September 2022 and dependent(spouse) fly in December 2022. Given that the copr expiry date is end of December 2022.

Please help. It is very urgent.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have a query, can the primary applicant fly first and then after a couple of months dependent(spouse) will fly given that the fly date is within the expiry of copr of dependent. For example: can primary applicant fly in September 2022 and dependent(spouse) fly in December 2022. Given that the copr expiry date is end of December 2022.

Please help. It is very urgent.
Yes, you can do that.

sp081990

Aug 18, 2018
I am the primary applicant and planning to do a 'soft landing' next week and my family will be doing their landing next month.
Now that, I am going to submit a form with accompanying goods and 'goods to follow' next week, will my wife be able to submit a new form / update the form when she lands next month ?

I wonder if these forms are per person (since we are landing at different times) or ONE per entire family.
Hi,

I am also planning to land first(Primary Applicant) and then my spouse(Dependent) will land after two months before the expiry of COPR. I have few queries:
1. How did it go for you?
2. Did they ask any additional document from dependent when they land alone means do they ask any proof that primary applicant has landed before dependent?

sp081990

Aug 18, 2018
Yes, you can do that.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

1. I am a PNP applicant. Is there any different procedure for them means in PNP case also dependent can land after primary applicant.
2. Do they ask any additional document from dependent when they land alone means do they ask any proof that primary applicant has landed before dependent?
3. What all documents dependent needs to provide while landing. Is it same as what primary applicants provides?

Last edited:

sp081990

Aug 18, 2018
HI Guys,

I have seen lots of posts on this forum regarding dependents landing after the principal applicant. After reading the posts I still have a slight confusion and seeking a response regarding my situation. I am the principal applicant and my wife is a dependent. Me and my wife both have received COPRs and need to land in Canada before 13 October 2019 (expiry date). Now I will be travelling to Canada on 30 August 2019 and for some personal reasons my wife cannot accompany me and will travel a month later. She will land in Canada on 29th September 2019 which is well before the expiry date of her visa that is 13 October 2019.

So based on our situation; can she travel to and land in Canada alone with out me (Principal applicant) and without facing any issues at the Toronto airport?

Any prompt response will be highly appreciated.

Regards

19 minutes ago
pavan55 said:
I am the primary applicant and planning to do a 'soft landing' next week and my family will be doing their landing next month.
Now that, I am going to submit a form with accompanying goods and 'goods to follow' next week, will my wife be able to submit a new form / update the form when she lands next month ?

I wonder if these forms are per person (since we are landing at different times) or ONE per entire family.
Hi,

I am also planning to land first(Primary Applicant) and then my spouse(Dependent) will land after two months before the expiry of COPR. I have few queries:
1. How did it go for you?
2. Did they ask any additional document from dependent when they land alone means do they ask any proof that primary applicant has landed before dependent?

Bp032

Jan 25, 2022
Hi Everyone,

I am writing this message to seek your input reg. the landing formalities for my dependent family members (Wife + 5 years Son)

- I am a PR holder currently living outside of Canada. Now my family members have got the COPR. Can they land alone given the fact that I am not currently staying inside Canada?

Appreciate your advise. Thanks in advance.