+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can dependent land alone after main applicant short landing?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hi Guys, i am in a fix. With all. That is going on in thr world. I am the primary candidate and my wife is a secondary candidate. I am able to land before COPR expiry, but my wife is mot. What are my options?
If it's easy for you to land (you're already in Canada, say), you should land and become PR. Then, you have two options:

1. Ask IRCC for an extension on your wife's CoPR. They are allowing this right now, and are very likely to help you out as well.
2. Even if she doesn't get an extension (this is unlikely), you'll be able to sponsor her later. Obviously not ideal, but this is the worst case scenario and better than both of you losing your chance to be PRs.

If it's expensive/hard to land for you, your only option is to ask IRCC for an extension for both of you. Again, this is likely to work since they are being quite accommodating right now.

Bob87

Jun 19, 2020
If it's easy for you to land (you're already in Canada, say), you should land and become PR. Then, you have two options:

1. Ask IRCC for an extension on your wife's CoPR. They are allowing this right now, and are very likely to help you out as well.
2. Even if she doesn't get an extension (this is unlikely), you'll be able to sponsor her later. Obviously not ideal, but this is the worst case scenario and better than both of you losing your chance to be PRs.

If it's expensive/hard to land for you, your only option is to ask IRCC for an extension for both of you. Again, this is likely to work since they are being quite accommodating right now.
Thank You so much for the response, so God Forbid, if she does not get the extension and i have to apply later or sponsor her - do you think it will affect me being the primary candidate in settling and getting my PR? Any issues with that. Looking forward to some suggestions.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thank You so much for the response, so God Forbid, if she does not get the extension and i have to apply later or sponsor her - do you think it will affect me being the primary candidate in settling and getting my PR? Any issues with that. Looking forward to some suggestions.
Not quite sure what your question is. If you become a PR now, why would a later sponsorship affect that? Could you clarify your question?

Bob87

Jun 19, 2020
Not quite sure what your question is. If you become a PR now, why would a later sponsorship affect that? Could you clarify your question?
What i am trying to understand is - Would there ever be a problem to issue a PR card for me and with any other documentation for myself in PRIMARY CANDIDATE after landing in Canada. If the secondary candidate missed the visa deadline and cannot make it to Canada in the coming year or so. As it was always a combined application, with myself as the primary candidate and spouse as the secondary/dependent.

Bob87

Jun 19, 2020
What i am trying to understand is - Would there ever be a problem to issue a PR card for me and with any other documentation for myself in PRIMARY CANDIDATE after landing in Canada. If the secondary candidate missed the visa deadline and cannot make it to Canada in the coming year or so. As it was always a combined application, with myself as the primary candidate and spouse as the secondary/dependent.
Would look forward to your reply and feedback in this regard.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
No, there will be no issue with getting a PR card or any other document even if the secondary applicant doesn't land. Once you land, you're a PR, and that is independent of anyone else on your application.

incomingAbg

Aug 25, 2019
If primary applicant forgets to mention the goods to follow (GTF) and goods to accompany (GTA) form, is it possible for dependent to mention it in their trip ?

sijoalex

May 22, 2019
India
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
29-04-2019
Doc's Request.
25-02-2022
Nomination.....
10-04-2019
AOR Received.
06-06-2019
File Transfer...
13-07-2019
Med's Request
13-12-2021
Med's Done....
08-01-2022
Passport Req..
16-05-2022
VISA ISSUED...
26-05-2022
Hi, I have applied for PR including my dependence as accompanying but due to certain situation my spouse is not willing to travel in near future to Canada. So can I travel alone to Canada? Can I submit passport for myself alone and get CoPR?

Anks86

Star Member
Feb 1, 2020
Boston, U.S.A
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-09-2019
AOR Received.
03-09-2019
Med's Done....
16-09-2019
Hi, need some help here. I am the primary on my application and my wife is secondary. For some reason she cannot travel for soft landing at this time (visa processing issues in US). Can I do the soft landing alone? Can she do it at a later time? Does she have to so it within the given CoPR expiration dates?

thesonicbro

Jul 24, 2016
If the principle applicant and the dependent both currently in Canada, can the dependent leaves Canada and receives CoRP separately?

Both have not received CoPR yet. Thanks for your insight.

Last edited:

Bernytee

Sep 8, 2018
I am newbie here and was wandering if the dependants can land 6months after primary applicant? Incase the dependants need time to put some things in order

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

JulianGodwin

Jan 6, 2021
Thanks. so the reason I asked this is that my medical has expired but my husband's medical and visa is still valid. Will they extend his visa further to align with my new visa? I am going to take my new medical and get the visa of a longer validity.

Last edited:

angelangel

Star Member
Jun 5, 2017
Primary applicant and dependent spouse has landed in Canada before March 2020.

Children -Minor were not able to land as their name on COPR were incorrect- their names are now fixed and COPR was received before 8 March 2020

1. Can the children travel alone to complete landing?
2. Do they need travel exemption approval?