+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

C-6 Citizenship Applications, Frequently Asked Questions

Nessasary

Star Member
Feb 5, 2013
1(a) As long as it just seems as if you simply mixed up the dates due to human error, they will just correct your report. But if, say, you forgot about a five week trip and didn't report it, then that's a different story.
1(b) They shouldn't return it. See above.

2(a) see 1(a)
2(b) see 1(b)
2(c) Don't worry about exact wording. These are humans. They can read and think :)

3(a) as usual, as long as it's a minor change they won't care. But if you missed a whole job, that's a different story.
3(b) Employment history is only reported in months. Days are irrelevant. What you describe is not a gap.

4(a) this might, in fact be your actual problem. Please read the FAQ here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=573&top=5
There it says: "You may send a transcript, diploma or certificate showing that you graduated from a secondary school or from a post-secondary program in Canada or abroad. These materials must show that the program was in English or French. A single course in an official language is not enough to meet this requirement."
If I understand you right, you only took some English language courses. But it is not enough to show that you took some courses. You must have graduated from a whole program that was conducted in English. So you need some kind of diploma/certificate that you finished that program.
There are other government-funded courses that count, but I couldn't find the courses you describe on any of the CIC lists for British Columbia. Look here in the instruction guide for British Columbia. Only ELSA is listed:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp#language
4(b) They won't frown upon you highlighting something. But again, I am not even sure if your proof of language is sufficient at all.

5 obviously "work permit" means you are a "worker". It's basically the same word :)

6 see above

General answer: You worry too much about these details. The only thing you should worry about is the proof of language thing. But maybe someone else can chime in. Don't freak out because I say that the proof you provide isn't enough. I might be wrong.
Hi spyfy. I've been trying to ask a question on a couple of threads and no one has responded. But you touched on it in this post so I just want to clarify. You said you have to have graduated from a whole program to satisfy the English language requirement. However, I'm not sure if that is true and I'm just looking for clarity. On this website (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/language.asp) it says you can currently be attending a school taught in English to satisfy the requirement. However, this is the only place I find this information so I'm not sure. My next step is to call CIC to clarify but I wanted to get your thoughts.

jar11

Oct 16, 2017
Hi i have question, I went to border crossing to USA from Calgary that day system was not working they send be back. later i got PR from calgary cic Office. do i have to still enter the date on the Physical Presence Calculator? Please advice me, Thanks

samurai1

Oct 17, 2017
1(a) As long as it just seems as if you simply mixed up the dates due to human error, they will just correct your report. But if, say, you forgot about a five week trip and didn't report it, then that's a different story.
1(b) They shouldn't return it. See above.

2(a) see 1(a)
2(b) see 1(b)
2(c) Don't worry about exact wording. These are humans. They can read and think :)

3(a) as usual, as long as it's a minor change they won't care. But if you missed a whole job, that's a different story.
3(b) Employment history is only reported in months. Days are irrelevant. What you describe is not a gap.

4(a) this might, in fact be your actual problem. Please read the FAQ here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=573&top=5
There it says: "You may send a transcript, diploma or certificate showing that you graduated from a secondary school or from a post-secondary program in Canada or abroad. These materials must show that the program was in English or French. A single course in an official language is not enough to meet this requirement."
If I understand you right, you only took some English language courses. But it is not enough to show that you took some courses. You must have graduated from a whole program that was conducted in English. So you need some kind of diploma/certificate that you finished that program.
There are other government-funded courses that count, but I couldn't find the courses you describe on any of the CIC lists for British Columbia. Look here in the instruction guide for British Columbia. Only ELSA is listed:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp#language
4(b) They won't frown upon you highlighting something. But again, I am not even sure if your proof of language is sufficient at all.

5 obviously "work permit" means you are a "worker". It's basically the same word :)

6 see above

General answer: You worry too much about these details. The only thing you should worry about is the proof of language thing. But maybe someone else can chime in. Don't freak out because I say that the proof you provide isn't enough. I might be wrong.
Thank you very much spyfy!! In regards to the language requirement, someone from the BCIT for the PELD program states the following to me in an email:

Thank you for your email. My Program Head, Andrea Matthews, is currently away on vacation and won’t return until July so I’ll try to answer this as best as I can. I have also forwarded your email to another Program Head who might be able to assist you on this but while I’m waiting for her reply, I’ll try to provide you with some information.

I have heard from many of our students that they have successfully used our PELD program to satisfy their Citizenship Language requirements. None of them needed an actual certificate from us (we actually don’t issue one) but simply providing them with an unofficial transcript seemed to be enough and you can download that on myBCIT; however, I’d recommend that you double check with the immigration officers on this. As our COMM 0005 course is articulated as being equivalent to English 12, that course alone should already prove your English proficiency to be above the CLB/NCLC level 4 or higher standards. Students would need at least a CLB level 7/8 in order to get an approval to take COMM 0005 with us.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

WENDY CHENG| BCIT Communication & PELD Department
E:
PELD@bcit.ca | F 604.432.9173 | L: www.bcit.ca/cas/communication/peld/courses.shtml

Follow-up email from Wendy:
I just spoke to Andrea and she has agreed with me that an unofficial transcript would be sufficient for your application for citizenship.

Regards,

E:
PELD@bcit.ca | F 604.432.9173 | L: www.bcit.ca/cas/communication/peld/courses.shtml

Hmmm.. if that's the case, I hope the immigration officer/IRCC accepts it. Anyways, really appreciate your feedback!

persavon

Oct 18, 2017
Hi @spyfy,

I am a Romanian citizen who worked and studied in Germany for 2 years. Being part of EU, I am allowed to live and work there and I didn't need any work permit or visa. So I am not sure which details to write in Q13, if any. Thanks.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi @spyfy,

I am a Romanian citizen who worked and studied in Germany for 2 years. Being part of EU, I am allowed to live and work there and I didn't need any work permit or visa. So I am not sure which details to write in Q13, if any. Thanks.
You need to put down your Citizenship. Other than that, nothing.

Reactions: persavon

amfah12

Star Member
Aug 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-03-2011
Doc's Request.
03-05-2011
File Transfer...
12-05-2010
Med's Request
30-04-2014
Med's Done....
03-06-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-08-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-08-2014
LANDED..........
11-11-2014
Hi @spyfy

My son was born in Saudia & I've his Birth Certificate in Arabic. I got it translated to English from Saudia. Will it work or Do I need to get it translated again from here (Toronto) with an affidavit from the translator?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Thank you very much spyfy!! In regards to the language requirement, someone from the BCIT for the PELD program states the following to me in an email:

Thank you for your email. My Program Head, Andrea Matthews, is currently away on vacation and won’t return until July so I’ll try to answer this as best as I can. I have also forwarded your email to another Program Head who might be able to assist you on this but while I’m waiting for her reply, I’ll try to provide you with some information.

I have heard from many of our students that they have successfully used our PELD program to satisfy their Citizenship Language requirements. None of them needed an actual certificate from us (we actually don’t issue one) but simply providing them with an unofficial transcript seemed to be enough and you can download that on myBCIT; however, I’d recommend that you double check with the immigration officers on this. As our COMM 0005 course is articulated as being equivalent to English 12, that course alone should already prove your English proficiency to be above the CLB/NCLC level 4 or higher standards. Students would need at least a CLB level 7/8 in order to get an approval to take COMM 0005 with us.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

E: PELD@bcit.ca | F 604.432.9173 | L: www.bcit.ca/cas/communication/peld/courses.shtml

Follow-up email from Wendy:
I just spoke to Andrea and she has agreed with me that an unofficial transcript would be sufficient for your application for citizenship.

Regards,

E: PELD@bcit.ca | F 604.432.9173 | L: www.bcit.ca/cas/communication/peld/courses.shtml

Hmmm.. if that's the case, I hope the immigration officer/IRCC accepts it. Anyways, really appreciate your feedback!
That sounds good. As I said: I might very well be wrong, and I definitely wouldn't mind if I am in this case. :)

humsafar

Jun 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-01-2011
Doc's Request.
Sent with initial application
IELTS Request
Sent with initial application
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS 19-10-2011
Med's Request
20-07-2012
Med's Done....
25-08-2012 received in London 31-08-2012
Friends any suggestions on below ? specially from those who are in similar situation

1 - For Question 9 B under minors application form CIT0003E-2 "Has the child left Canada for a total of 6 months or longer since becoming a permanent resident"
We only have to list the absence in the table/chart below if child stayed out of Canada for 6 months or more. I child stayed out of Canada for less then 6 months the we have to say "No" and leave the chart/table below blank or mentioned N/A in the table.

Did i get it correct? Any suggestions how to answer in this scenario ?

2 - About Question 9 C for Adult application CIT0002E - "During your eligibility period id you live outside of canada?" In my case my eligibility period is from Oct 2012 to Oct 2015 where as I became PR on Sept 2013 and before that I never visited Canada. S0 do i still have to mentioned the the address where I was living from Oct 2012 to Sept 2013 even though I was not a PR or a resident of Canada ?

Please I need suggestions, If some who faced the same scenario shed some light how he/she answered this question

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hi @spyfy

My son was born in Saudia & I've his Birth Certificate in Arabic. I got it translated to English from Saudia. Will it work or Do I need to get it translated again from here (Toronto) with an affidavit from the translator?
Who translated it? Note that it must either be translated by a translator registered in Canada or you need a notarized affidavit by the person who translated it.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hi @spyfy,

I would also say: just list your Romanian citizenship. If you want to be sure, add a short explanation on a separate page.

Reactions: persavon

amfah12

Star Member
Aug 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-03-2011
Doc's Request.
03-05-2011
File Transfer...
12-05-2010
Med's Request
30-04-2014
Med's Done....
03-06-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-08-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-08-2014
LANDED..........
11-11-2014
Who translated it? Note that it must either be translated by a translator registered in Canada or you need a notarized affidavit by the person who translated it.
A translator registered in Saudia translated it

ranac09

Oct 6, 2017
I think, I made a mistake when I submitted my application October 6th (delivered Oct 10th 9:10 AM).

During this time my existing Indian passport was already going under the renewal process, so I included the the copies of the passport I had (It was valid till Dec 2017). On October 10th at 2 PM I received my new renewed Indian passport in mail (I have Purolator delivery conformation). The issue date on the new passport is September 29th 2017. I did not include the photocopy of this passport in my application because I hadn't physically received it when I signed and mailed my application.

What should I do? Hi, @spyfy Any advise? Thanks

I think I have two options.
1. Once I received AOR, send the copy of second passport with explanation and evidence that new passport was genuinely delivered after I signed the document
2. Keep all the evidence and explanation with me and take it with me on the day of test/interview

P.S I also asked this question in the separate thread, but I think this one is more active. Sorry if it bothers someone
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/for-all-those-who-sent-their-applications-today-oct-11-2017-what-mistakes-did-you-make.522426/page-30

Last edited:

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
A translator registered in Saudia translated it
That is not enough. See here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/cit/admin/general/translation.asp

That translator, if you want to use his/her translation, must supply an affidavit swearing that the translation is correct to the best of their knowledge. That affidavit must be administered by a notary public or similar official.
Only Canadian registered translators don't need affidavits.

I think it is easier and cheaper if you simply have the document translated by a Canadian translator. Those aren't particularly expensive.