+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

C-6 Citizenship Applications, Frequently Asked Questions

rdcanada

Oct 18, 2017
Just the returns, not the actual filings. From what I can understand, you should only provide personal tax returns even if you are self employed.

If you want a safety net, you can provide you business tax returns along with the explanation letter.

This is just my opinion. People who are in a similar situation as you would be able to answer from their personal experience.
Thanks mazamilam, appreciate your assistance

abracadabra

Jul 13, 2014
Hi @spyfy

My son was born in Saudia & I've his Birth Certificate in Arabic. I got it translated to English from Saudia. Will it work or Do I need to get it translated again from here (Toronto) with an affidavit from the translator?
Yes, you have to get it translated here in Toronto (and you are lucky you live in Toronto). The translator needs to be ATIO certified. ATIO is the ontarios certified translators association. I did a search on Arabic to English Translation for Toronto and Mississauga, there is one in Toronto and three in Mississauga.
Toronto:
https://atio.on.ca/paupress/profile/5195

Mississauga:
https://atio.on.ca/paupress/profile/5058
https://atio.on.ca/paupress/profile/5574
https://atio.on.ca/paupress/profile/5592

Any one of the above should be good. I have personally used Ihlam Tamari as the Translator for the stamps in the passports which were in Arabic due to Haj/Umra. They do a good job of not just translating, but making a full color copy of the passport and then certifying the translations and attaching in one professional pack, that can be sent to the CIC.

So not just the birth certificate, you need to get any stamps in your passports also translated. DO NOT USE the folks who advertise on Kijiji, who are not certified by ATIO, only very few translators are. If anyone else other than ATIO certified folks do this, then they need to go through a set of other crap such as Notarize/affidavit etc etc. Not worth doing all that.

rikriki

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 21, 2014
AOR Received.
November 6, 2014
File Transfer...
September 8, 2014
Med's Request
November 13, 2014
Med's Done....
November 18, 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
November 23, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
December 8, 2014
LANDED..........
sooooon :)
Somehow I am still confuse on the police clearance requirement... Let say for example I arrived in Canada on August 1, 2014 and didn't leave the country. Do I still need to apply for a police certificate for the year 2013 as it is included on the 4 year eligibility period?

jacZ

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017
Somehow I am still confuse on the police clearance requirement... Let say for example I arrived in Canada on August 1, 2014 and didn't leave the country. Do I still need to apply for a police certificate for the year 2013 as it is included on the 4 year eligibility period?
Hi,for the police certificate,u have to go 4 years in the past from the application day and in that period if u spent more than 183 in one country u should get a police certificate ...

Reactions: ChippyBoy and ibry

GBH

Jul 25, 2014
The personal taxes and business taxes are filed separately.

I have not attached the business returns for the years - just an explanation letter

But I have ticked yes for tax filings in the application and provided my SIN - they have not asked us to send the filing copies right?
As far as I think they havent asked for any tax related documents, they just want you to list details of about your self employment, please refer to help on the application form, or read instruction guide

Reactions: rdcanada

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
can anybody kindly assist me with the below,

I am self employed, I have ticked yes for all the personal taxes that I have filed 2012-2016.

Regarding self employed corporate taxes - the application form does not have an option to mention it, so I have not. But I have sent a explanatory letter explaining my business and also attached my company registration copy.

Should the above be Ok?
Being self employed myself: I basically concur with what mazimilian said. Generally, IRCC does NOT care about you business tax at all. The business tax is not governed by the income tax act and therefore out of the realm of citizenship applications.

You definitely do not need to attach any tax returns or assessments at all. That is unnecessary paper that they will ignore. They confirm your filing with the CRA directly.

Reactions: rdcanada

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015

Yes you do. The rule is simple. 183 days in the last for years.

Reactions: rikriki and jsm0085

muhammad092

Mar 9, 2017
Hi @ spfy,
can i scan the documents and then print them (putting them on a word document) or they should be photocopies for sure?

ChippyBoy

Dec 5, 2016
Just one thing continues to confuse me, and it's where CIC/IRCC asks me "When did you first come to Canada?" Do they mean (1.) the date on which the citizenship applicant first ever set foot in the country ever in his/her life (e.g., in my case as as a visa-waivered tourist some 18 years ago), or do they mean (2.) when did I first come to Canada on some kind of Canadian visa (e.g., temporary work permit), or do they mean (3.) the date on which I arrived here with all of my possessions brought with me from abroad in order to set up my new home here, or (4.) do they mean the date on which I arrived in Canada to present my COPR and officially take up PR status here? I would think that they're meaning number 2, right or wrong?

Last edited:

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They do not want extra documents and they do not want cards blown up. Just provide what's requested in the actual sizes. Adjusting sizes etc is not needed.

rdcanada

Oct 18, 2017
Being self employed myself: I basically concur with what mazimilian said. Generally, IRCC does NOT care about you business tax at all. The business tax is not governed by the income tax act and therefore out of the realm of citizenship applications.

You definitely do not need to attach any tax returns or assessments at all. That is unnecessary paper that they will ignore. They confirm your filing with the CRA directly.
Thanks spyfy.

rikriki

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 21, 2014
AOR Received.