+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

Coffee1981

Star Member
Jun 29, 2016
As a sign of how little interest there is in this bill now, it's not even on the Order Paper to be discussed, and the agenda is set until May 12th. I bet it doesn't even show it's head until the fall. They've got to get the Budget through first.

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010
Coffee1981 said:
As a sign of how little interest there is in this bill now, it's not even on the Order Paper to be discussed, and the agenda is set until May 12th. I bet it doesn't even show it's head until the fall. They've got to get the Budget through first.
The delay reason is not because the government has no interest in the bill but the government needs time to discuss the amendments internally before going to the HoC.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Coffee1981 said:
I did not claim it was dead forever. I claimed that the Government is not going to support any of the 3 amendments.
Here is the link to your post from back then:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/bill-c6-senate-stage-t461681.0.html;msg5917477#msg5917477

To quote:
Choose to believe what you want. I'm telling you because my friend was in meetings all day today. The bill is DOA on its return to the House. The age limit for language was the poison pill.
So you in fact said the bill is dead. You were NOT talking just about the amendments.

It's OK to predict what you want, but at least you should own it and not pretend you didn't make false predictions (or at least predictions you don't believe anymore yourself).

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Whocares said:
The delay reason is not because the government has no interest in the bill but the government needs time to discuss the amendments internally before going to the HoC.
Indeed. Of course they need a bit to study the bill and the government won't put a motion on the agenda until they made up their mind. I expect weeks but not months.

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010
kirtivsingh said:
Try this calculator:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/citizenship-calculator/article34574747/
What is the difference between the arrival date and when you became a permanent resident?

Isn't the arrival date same as when I became a permanent resident (written on the back of the PR)?

RanRan

Star Member
Mar 9, 2017
Hello,
Anyone knows when will the HoC discuss/ vote on the bill? how would we know there schedule? do we have a voice in this as constituents?

Under the new regulation, I am eligible to apply since March 4th, 2017

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Whocares said:
What is the difference between the arrival date and when you became a permanent resident?

Isn't the arrival date same as when I became a permanent resident (written on the back of the PR)?
Not necessarily for everyone. Many people arrive first in Canada on a work or study permit.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
RanRan said:
Hello,
Anyone knows when will the HoC discuss/ vote on the bill? how would we know there schedule? do we have a voice in this as constituents?

Under the new regulation, I am eligible to apply since March 4th, 2017
This is the 1000th time this question is asked. Look at the other posts. E.g. the FACTS ONLY thread that has a long summary in the beginning.

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010
Rigly68 said:
Not necessarily for everyone. Many people arrive first in Canada on a work or study permit.
Sorry for this stupid question but I am getting an error.

I landed (also written on the back of my PR) (March 2012). I returned back home and came back to live (July 2014) and spent 800 days outside Canada.Whatever I put I get an error??

Could you help me?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Whocares said:

I landed (also written on the back of my PR) (March 2012). I returned back home and came back to live (July 2014) and spent 800 days outside Canada.Whatever I put I get an error??

Could you help me?
Guys, don't trust that globe and mail calculator. That is not a reliable source. Just do the calculation yourself:

- Take todays date
- Go five years back
- Count the days you were in Canada not being a PR, call them X
- Count the days you were in Canada being a PR, call them Y
- Divide X by 2 and call it Z.
- If Z is more than 365, replace it by 365
- Z+Y, that is your day count. I must be more than 1095

jebok79

Feb 9, 2013
spyfy said:
Guys, don't trust that globe and mail calculator. That is not a reliable source. Just do the calculation yourself:

- Take todays date
- Go five years back
lol,,, i bookmark that globemail calculator website though....oh well i'll remove it....heheheh

Jsidd

May 5, 2017
Whocares said:

Could you help me?
Might be cause you will have to apply for PR renewal as per the process

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010
spyfy said:

- Take todays date
- Go five years back
Thank you.

subha_1962

Dec 20, 2013
Coffee1981 said:
I did not claim it was dead forever. I claimed that the Government is not going to support any of the 3 amendments.

The Privy Council Office doesn't want to jam the Federal Court with 200 extra + cases a year. Especially with the Jordan decision. They're going to move for McCoy's amendment to be abolished and create an appeal mechanism at the Immigration and Refugee Board instead, additional hearings, with a judicial review at the FC after.

Last year Linda Frum's twitter exchange with Kady O Malley suggested that it was the govt that requested the right to appeal amendment

kady o'malley‏Verified account @kady 17 Nov 2016
Replying to @LindaFrum

At all stages, with no amendments? I would take that bet!
1 reply 0 retweets 0 likes
Senator Linda Frum‏Verified account @LindaFrum 17 Nov 2016

Let's measure outcomes not process. And then we have a bet.
1 reply 1 retweet 1 like
kady o'malley‏Verified account @kady 17 Nov 2016

I think it's reasonable to take successful amendments into account when determining vote discipline!
1 reply 0 retweets 0 likes
Senator Linda Frum‏Verified account @LindaFrum 17 Nov 2016

That depends. For example, Minister McCallum has requested an amendment to Bill C6.