+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

Redfield

Mar 9, 2017
razerblade said:
Someone tried to threaten Sen. Jaffer and ticked her off. Twitter handle 'Usha Perera' ... Wonder if they are on this forum.
Rather than threatening Senators (which is probably illegal) we should be sending then emails explaining respectfully the hardships and roadblocks caused by Bill C-24

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Redfield said:
Rather than threatening Senators (which is probably illegal) we should be sending then emails explaining respectfully the hardships and roadblocks caused by Bill C-24
They know this. The issue right now is some senators (cons) agree with C-24, while others don't and favor bill C-6. What you see as a roadblock they see as a safeguard to Canada. They know how you feel, they just don't agree with the changes.

Redfield

Mar 9, 2017
Yeah but the conservative senators are not really my audience. I emailed the ones who voted for the McCoy amendment against the conservatives. What the Senate needs is for the independents to not stay idle and vote, that's how you overcome conservatives. Basically, if they vote against, that means that the rest of the amendments might not pass

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Redfield said:
Yeah but the conservative senators are not really my audience. I emailed the ones who voted for the McCoy amendment against the conservatives. What the Senate needs is for the independents to not stay idle and vote, that's how you overcome conservatives. Basically, if they vote against, that means that the rest of the amendments might not pass
Some of the amendments should pass.

Redfield

Mar 9, 2017
jsm0085 said:
Some of the amendments should pass.
I agree, with you, I support the two amendments about Due Process and Child applicants. I don't really have an opinion about the age of 60 for language requirements as I understand both sides but I am very opposed to any amendments increasing residency period, lowering the credit given to students/workers or allowing the government to strip dual citizens from their citizenship. I wrote to roughlt 52 senators, most of them independant just to kind of expose the other side of the story that many don't consider like foreign students who've been here for like 7-8 years and still can't apply. So far I got a couple responses, including Senator Harder who said "I share your concern and will work to defeat this amendment."

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Redfield said:
I agree, with you, I support the two amendments about Due Process and Child applicants. I don't really have an opinion about the age of 60 for language requirements as I understand both sides but I am very opposed to any amendments increasing residency period, lowering the credit given to students/workers or allowing the government to strip dual citizens from their citizenship. I wrote to roughlt 52 senators, most of them independant just to kind of expose the other side of the story that many don't consider like foreign students who've been here for like 7-8 years and still can't apply. So far I got a couple responses, including Senator Harder who said "I share your concern and will work to defeat this amendment."
We are on the same page.

Coffee1981

Star Member
Jun 29, 2016
The Child applicants bill has been flagged as a no-go for IRCC on the advice of the Justice Department. Simply put, children cannot form intent if they're under 18, and that makes their signature on the form worthless, and any lies or fraud nonpunishable. There's already a waiver for children under Section 5(3) of the act who want to become citizens and don't have a Canadian citizen waiver. It's the age waiver. It gets plenty of use already.

It's another poison pill to make sure the bill won't pass with amendments at the House.

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010
Guys. All the amendments at this stage are to delay the bill and as you have seen and will see, most of the amendments do not make sense. You will be surprised by the coming amendments in the coming month just to delay this bill. Prob.

Redfield

Mar 9, 2017
Coffee1981 said:
The Child applicants bill has been flagged as a no-go for IRCC on the advice of the Justice Department. Simply put, children cannot form intent if they're under 18, and that makes their signature on the form worthless, and any lies or fraud nonpunishable. There's already a waiver for children under Section 5(3) of the act who want to become citizens and don't have a Canadian citizen waiver. It's the age waiver. It gets plenty of use already.

It's another poison pill to make sure the bill won't pass with amendments at the House.
Then I suppose that Senator Harder will make a speech to explain that, otherwise HoC will just refuse the amendment and explain why.

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010
Redfield said:
Then I suppose that Senator Harder will make a speech to explain that, otherwise HoC will just refuse the amendment and explain why.
Was the minors thing already in C-24 or is it a totally new addition?

Redfield

Mar 9, 2017
Nah it doesn't exist in C-24 nor C-6, it's just a new amendment that would bring a new provision, it's basically out of scope

Montreal101

Star Member
Dec 5, 2016
The minor amendment will not pass in the Senate, it will be voted out, it is not legal
The age for the language requirement wasn't an electoral promise and may pass in HOC
The right to go to the court for revocation of the citizenship was welcomed by the government (Sen. Harder)

Let's see what other amendments/Jokes they will come up with !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

capermanet

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Does anyone know if sen. Griffin voted pro or against, amendment represented by sen. Jaffer and sen. Omidvar on citizenship revoked?

septimius

Star Member
Sep 12, 2013
I love how people still have hope. They can't see that the cons do not want to hold a vote right now because either outcome makes them look bad. If they agree, it goes against their ideals. If they refuse, they come off as opposing the will of the people. So what's the best tactic? Introduce as much amendments as possible to show they support the will of the people without sacrificing their core values. In addition, introducing amendments will stall the bill as much as possible so there is a possibility the bill automatically dissolves which is an even better outcome for them.

I'm going to support the cons push against the bill because I'd rather live the facts than a false hope. Makes planning day to day life much more easier.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
septimius said:
They can't see that the cons do not want to hold a vote right now because either outcome makes them look bad. If they agree, it goes against their ideals. If they refuse, they come off as opposing the will of the people.
Out of curiosity, what makes you believe that C6 represents the "will of the people"? The last poll I read showed that the majority of Canadians actually supported C24.