+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tyl92 said:
that would be probably true , once the 3/5 rule kicks in , processing times may increase , however one must reminder that with c24 , the government has cut useless steps on the process , now the whole assessment is straight forward and applications won't move after being received by local offices . That is what dropped processing times significantly among the fact that c24 eliminated a lot of potential candidates . People are also discussing about the fees that may be one of the reasons as well so...
At this stage , bill has to be passed at first , and looks like it may still have a bumpy road ahead.
After bill c6 being passed , implementation will be discussed , cic seems to have prepared themselves for c6 but still , i'd be highly surprised if they implement that rule before at LEAST fall 2017 , should c6 pass before june though.
What is sad is the people who were affected by c24 at the first place won't probably benefit from c6 at all ( People on landed in 2013 and before ) which is most of the people on this thread.
Hi
CIC has practice to move applications between offices if a particular local office is starting to get overloaded with applications. So exactly when the flood will happen this will be the time for the local offices to start redistributing workload between themselves which in practice is just part of the whole logistical challenge CIC will face due to the instant flood. And as you know this will create another portion of delay.

_MK_

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
AOR Received.
09-04-2016
File Transfer...
23-06-2016
Med's Request
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
01-02-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
CANADIANZ said:
Dear folks,

Just joined this forum yesterday but have been following up this thread for last couple of weeks.
It seems that a lot of you are eager to get bill C-6 passed mainly because of 3/5 rule. As a matter of fact, this change will not have a huge effect on new or recent citizens as compared to other aspect of the Bill.

The MOST important reason we should support Bill C-6 and that it repeals Bill C-24 which created two classes of citizenship, in simple words: immigrants who acquire citizenship are second class citizens vs. born sole Canadian nationals are first class. It became easier for second class citizens to lose their Canadian Nationality vs. first class who can never lose Nationality.

As far as 3/5 or 4/6 rule, we all know that during 3/5 rule application processing time was about 2 year for normal applications, which will likely happen as flood of applications are received by CIC as soon as 3/5 rule come into force.

I recently helped my relatives in applying their citizenship under current rules, here are the timeline in real-time which seems reasonably quick:

We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on February 27, 2017.
We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on March 7, 2017.
We started processing your application on March 9, 2017.
We sent you a notice on March 29, 2017 to appear and write the citizenship test on May 10, 2017

Hope it helps a lot of you :)
Hey
Welcome to our crazy thread.
Processing time was discussed/debated here to death not too long ago.

The consensus is after this bill becomes law, the processing times will obviously go up but not as much as before due to the many optimizations already established and simpler (easier to verify and physical) residency calculation.

Most of us also care about the revocation clause but for a lot of people 3/5 rule provides immediate benefit.

CANADIANZ

Mar 30, 2017
_MK_ said:
Hey
Welcome to our crazy thread.
Processing time was discussed/debated here to death not too long ago.

The consensus is after this bill becomes law, the processing times will obviously go up but not as much as before due to the many optimizations already established and simpler (easier to verify and physical) residency calculation.

Most of us also care about the revocation clause but for a lot of people 3/5 rule provides immediate benefit.
Thank you!

MTweet12

Sep 1, 2013
I'm reading the conversations from past few days, and it's not clear to me when then the next Senate meeting will be. The tweet from Sen. Jaffer seems to suggest it's today at 5:30PM, so will there be a meeting today?

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
MTweet12 said:
I'm reading the conversations from past few days, and it's not clear to me when then the next Senate meeting will be. The tweet from Sen. Jaffer seems to suggest it's today at 5:30PM, so will there be a meeting today?
No. Next sitting is on Tuesday next week at 2PM.

CANADIANZ

Mar 30, 2017
Sen. Mobina Jaffer‏Verified account @SenJaffer

"A lot of frustration #C6. We also are frustrated. Remember we are not an organised caucus as Tories.They have a leader and party. We do not"

1:38 PM - 31 Mar 2017

Clearly shows frustration of Lib senators and I think conservatives are going to 'exploit' this even more! :)

Hey

Star Member
Mar 7, 2017
This is say it all, believe me guys Cons will keep adjourn until 2019 elections
Forget C 6 and wait the time... you will be jailed in Canada

Count your second hrs days months years in Canada

Hey

Star Member
Mar 7, 2017
"STANDING VOTE DEFERRED TO 5:30 P.M., PURSUANT TO RULE 9-10(2) AND THE BELLS TO SOUND AT 5:15 P.M. FOR FIFTEEN MINUTES (Rule 9-6)
And on the subamendment of the Honourable Senator Carignan, P.C., seconded by the Honourable Senator Martin:
That the motion in amendment be not now adopted, but that it be amended by replacing the words “written notice” by the word “notice”.

The above was added to 4 April order papers

Source SEN websites
https://sencanada.ca/en/content/sen/chamber/421/orderpaper/108op_2017-04-04-e

__jack_br__

Mar 26, 2017
Why can they have consecutive adjourn requests if the first one is denied?
Do they have to provide evidence that shows something has changed since last request?
If no change happens, what is the point to vote again?

This can literally be endless.
Seriously, is there a limit, such as maximum N request per person in 1 reading?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
__jack_br__ said:
Why can they have consecutive adjourn requests if the first one is denied?
Do they have to provide evidence that shows something has changed since last request?
If no change happens, what is the point to vote again?

This can literally be endless.
Seriously, is there a limit, such as maximum N request per person in 1 reading?
They technically weren't consecutive requests:
- The first request was to adjourn the debate on the amendment until the next sitting
- The second request was to adjourn the whole sitting of the senate
- The third request was to adjourn the counting of the votes until Tuesday, 5:30

These are three different things. Obviously, it's just delay tactics, but formally they didn't ask the same thing again and again. Still annoying of course.

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
Hey said:
This is say it all, believe me guys Cons will keep adjourn until 2019 elections
Forget C 6 and wait the time... you will be jailed in Canada

Count your second hrs days months years in Canada
This is the reason the previous immigration minister said the bill was fine at it was (without the amendments). Because he knew the Cons would try filibuster or stall the bill. As we all know, c24 was passed in record time because it's a bill driven by fear or negative emotions. As much as I want c6 to come into law over the next few weeks, I loathe the idea of being a second class citizen, especially because of the long-term risk to my children.

Don't lose heart, the bill will certainly be passed.

ChippyBoy

Dec 5, 2016
CANADIANZ said:
Sen. Mobina Jaffer‏Verified account @SenJaffer

"A lot of frustration #C6. We also are frustrated. Remember we are not an organised caucus as Tories.They have a leader and party. We do not"

1:38 PM - 31 Mar 2017

Clearly shows frustration of Lib senators and I think conservatives are going to 'exploit' this even more! :)
I think that it's never a good sign once politicians begin making overtures to justifications & rationalisations for the possibility of imminent failure on their part. After Thursday's drama, C-6 seems to now be in real danger of degenerating into a highly regrettable political farce. She's obviously right that the Senate proponents & supporters of the Bill have no formal leader, but there's an absolute wealth of hard-won Senate experience all around them (i.e., surrounding Omidvar & Jaffer), but they need to have the gumption & initiative to ask for help; the Government's desire for good 'optics' for this Bill's passage through the Senate (i.e., by ethnicity firstly, & secondly by gender) is unlikely to want to show the grand & experienced old white male senators bailing-out some less able colleagues. So hopefully there's some urgent conferencing & consulting going on right now behind-the-scenes over this weekend in terms of strategising ahead of Tuesday's Senate session; if not, then C-6 seems doomed to fall to the wily ways of the devious, clever, highly motivated & determined Conservative Caucus.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I've decided to try harder to express how I feel about what's going on as bill C24 infringes on Canadian Citizens rights under the charter. Help me out guys if you are on twitter - look up @ImmiTrack

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jsm0085 said:
I've decided to try harder to express how I feel about what's going on as bill C24 infringes on Canadian Citizens rights under the charter. Help me out guys if you are on twitter - look up @ImmiTrack
1. What section of the Human Rights Act is being violated. Debate in Parliament and the Senate are a part of democracy,

ChippyBoy

Dec 5, 2016
PMM said:
Hi

1. What section of the Human Rights Act is being violated. Debate in Parliament and the Senate are a part of democracy,
I think that what he's getting at / implying is that if some Ottawa bureaucrat can void a dual citizen's Canadian citizenship for treasonous offences, then what could stop, in years to come, these same faceless but conventionally number-ID'd Ottawa bureaucrats from voiding dual citizens' Canadian citizenship for other things, such as old age, work accident / disability, believing in climate change, Liberal Party membership, etc.