+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Imadassadi said:
Hi Guys,
I am new here, just want to know what makes the day for refugees different from the day for immigrants they both live and settle in canada and pay taxes, attending schools , smelling the same air , etc, also why refugees credited one year only ? Spouse a refugee lived here for a long time before became PR , I know a person who lived here for 8 years before approved to be a PR , he credited only 1 year also his 2 children who came one and 3 years old and know become 9 and 11 years old. They look and speak like Canadians. This not fair and should be discussed among the new amendments. Imgrants are imgrants whether they were refugees or whatever they are . They shouldn't be treated as second class imgrants.
nobody is getting more than 1 year of pre-pr credit, and that's before C24 - now nobody is getting any pre-pr credit. If refugee is still getting 1 year credit while nobody else is getting it at the moment, then that's indeed unfair

Imadassadi

Mar 13, 2017
Ya but my question is why the day considered as a half day and why only one year per-PR credited .The refugees should be considered as residents from the first day they reached and reside in canada as the imgrants . Having a paper will not change the fact that they reside in canada and some times due to the delay in processing their applications for almost 2 years long from applying for PR will make them treated unequally with imgrants.

_MK_

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
AOR Received.
09-04-2016
File Transfer...
23-06-2016
Med's Request
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
01-02-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
itsmyid said:
The argument of putting international student against other categories of immigrants is actually not that different from the logic of creating 2nd class citizen.... people are in this together and it would not make things any easier if they divide themselves like this
How does what you wrote make any sense? By that argument, Federal Skilled worker category are 2nd class to family category!!!

This has nothing to do with citizenship as once you obtain it, it is equal.
It only changes who can apply for citizenship at what time. International students does not get to apply for citizenship automatically. They still have to live and work at least 2 years in addition to 4/5 years of schooling. They still have to show at least 3 tax returns.

Anyone who has been living in Canada in any valid status has contibuted more to the economy than any immigrant on day 1. Only fair that they get credit for it. In Canada, with this bill, they will only get max of 1 year. In UK/Australia, you get a lot more credit.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Imadassadi said:
Ya but my question is why the day considered as a half day and why only one year per-PR credited .The refugees should be considered as residents from the first day they reached and reside in canada as the imgrants . Having a paper will not change the fact that they reside in canada and some times due to the delay in processing their applications for almost 2 years long from applying for PR will make them treated unequally with imgrants.
Nobody got more than 1 year ( and nobody got any credit at the moment), all the people on student/work permit also only got half day and no more than 1 year of pre-pr credit. What makes you think refugees should get more?

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
_MK_ said:
How does what you wrote make any sense? By that argument, Federal Skilled worker category are 2nd class to family category!!!

This has nothing to do with citizenship as once you obtain it, it is equal.
It only changes who can apply for citizenship at what time. International students does not get to apply for citizenship automatically. They still have to live and work at least 2 years in addition to 4/5 years of schooling. They still have to show at least 3 tax returns.

Anyone who has been living in Canada in any valid status has contibuted more to the economy than any immigrant on day 1. Only fair that they get credit for it. In Canada, with this bill, they will only get max of 1 year. In UK/Australia, you get a lot more credit.
I started on visa myself and could benefit from the credit. I was just saying there's no need to divide ourselves and claim who is more qualified than others, that doesn't help anybody

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Imadassadi said:
How much they credit refugees in Australia and U.K. and do they consider the day as half day ?
this is Canada, whatever they do in Australia or UK or US or France doesn't matter here.

Imadassadi

Mar 13, 2017
May be students come to learn while refugees come to reside and stay for ever .
May be students should be credited all the period if they want to reside .
BTW refugees file taxes from the first day they come and reside.

_MK_

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
AOR Received.
09-04-2016
File Transfer...
23-06-2016
Med's Request
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
01-02-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
itsmyid said:
I started on visa myself and could benefit from the credit. I was just saying there's no need to divide ourselves and claim who is more qualified than others, that doesn't help anybody
This is not a question of qualification. There is a residency requirement for citizenship. If someone obtains PR today after living/working/studying here for 10 years, he has the same number of "residency days" as someone who just landed today as PR.

Why would residency only count after PR? When it comes to tax, they tax you fully since you are considered a resident for tax purposes. You dont pay less if you are not a Citizen. Only fair if you get credit for these residency days which someone who just landed does not have. No discrimination here. Only puts value towards contribution to economy.

_MK_

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
AOR Received.
09-04-2016
File Transfer...
23-06-2016
Med's Request
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
01-02-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
Imadassadi said:
There is no distinction between refugees and students in how they get credit for residency. Everyone with valid status gets it. What are you arguing about?

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Imadassadi said:
so do students and workers, and they don't receive any benefit/additional healthcare like refugees do

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
_MK_ said:
This is not a question of qualification. There is a residency requirement for citizenship. If someone obtains PR today after living/working/studying here for 10 years, he has the same number of "residency days" as someone who just landed today as PR.

Why would residency only count after PR? When it comes to tax, they tax you fully since you are considered a resident for tax purposes. You dont pay less if you are not a Citizen. Only fair if you get credit for these residency days which someone who just landed does not have. No discrimination here. Only puts value towards contribution to economy.
Again, I am not arguing about getting the credit - I want that too. I am only commenting on the statement someone made about student being more deserving of immigration than people came with a PR card

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Imadassadi said:
In Australia and May be U.K. Both credit days. 2 years back in Australia.
so? in the US they don't credit anything at all, but there is no point making that comparison since each country is different.

hfinkel

Feb 23, 2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
emamabd said:
That's fine, you don't have to agree with me, but at least in my case i do not posses a Canadian degree and i'm professionally employed in the same job level which i was before immigrating.
I am quite pleased for those who have been successful with acquiring opportunities with foreign credentials.

I tried for years to find employment in Canada with my non-Canadian graduate degree and was not successful.
I had all but given up when an opportunity came along 7 years ago and finally managed to come in on a contract.
After arriving I still had to find a permanent position which, at the time, was required to apply for PNP.
As luck would have it, CEC became available the very month that I finally went permanent. So both options became available at the same time.

My path getting here, then the path to PR and now the path to citizenship is taking longer than I had hoped but eventually will happen.

I am not sure I agree with the need to wait longer periods of time to acquire citizenship. And what would it accomplish waiting longer?